Spray Guns coming and going--
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  08:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 3 spray guns and ordered a Devilbiss Startingline kit (2 guns) from Eastwood that will replace two of them. I considered lots of brands and compared prices before the order was placed. Just some historical background--

My oldest unit is a Binks Model 17 (Thor). It was my Dad's and it was used in the '60s primarily to paint boats. It's a siphon model. I learned how to spray with this gun. It requires lots of pressure and puts out lots of paint and mist. Several cars were painted by me using acrylic lacquer: a '57 Chevy, a '65 Corvair, '64 Chevelle convertible (with a 409), a '66 VW, and my wife's '79 Volvo. It still works today so I'm keeping it. I have some NOS parts for it.

The second unit was acquired in '92 and was used exclusively to paint my TA. It is a Sanford Black Max. Quite inexpensive, it cost $40-50. It applied undercoatings, primers, top coats and clears for me. It worked great. However, a part was broken and replacement parts are nearly impossible to find. It's history.

The 3rd unit was my Dads. It's a Binks Mach 1 BBR HVLP and was one of the first HVLP guns on the market. Binks still sells them and all the pieces-parts for them. They cost $350-400. It is a pressurized system, not a gravity feed, and the pot holds lots of material. It was used extensively in his business. I've never used it and don't plan to. Had the gun been used only by my father I would know that it was properly cared for and cleaned. However, his employees used the gun and it is really beaten up. So, it's going to the professional painter in the family--my brother. He will give it a good home and probably use it.

My new inexpensive replacement guns, above mentioned, will be used to shoot epoxy primer and sealer. These gravity feed HVLP guns will save on material, laying down more material on the car rather than spraying into the air...a good thing!

I'm looking forward to see how these guns perform. We shall see....

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have those guns and they are decent for the price and have good adjustability. I've only used them so far for inner panels and interior parts but they are solid.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  2:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review John. I was hoping they'd do just fine.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  1:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm getting ready to lay on primer sometime this spring. I bought the well known "purple gun" at Harbor Freight. I know this is a cheap gun but I found a few videos on YouTube that show these guns are sold as higher priced guns by other companies. One video shows how to help with the gun's short comings for just a few dollars on o-rings and thread tape. I know you get what you pay for, but I'm not doing a show quality job anyway. Besides, I hear they are great for spraying primer and they work well with the smaller compressors. You have to sand the primer anyway, so a few minor boo boos ain't going hurt.

Still, you can't argue with quality equipment. However, as you stated Bill, the older guns require more air and can waste a lot of paint as overspray or mist. I think that's why they developed these HVLP guns.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Edited by - Vanmor on 28 Jan 2014 04:07:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  5:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Primer is SO forgiving anyways...lay it on a couple coats, and i generally wet sand 400 and ready for paint. We had a new pressure setup that was set too high, and we have been painting my truck in pieces. Well, we did the hood and primer was running like curtains, we're talking 1/8" thick runs, down the hood. We couldn't adjust the gun to figure it out. Then we saw we were at 120psi... Anyways, a rubber block, a garden hose, and some 400 later i had that hood ready for paint and it came out great. You can always fix things if you're working in primer, and strip it off in an area if you find something underneath to fix. My father in law says at the body shop they use even cheaper all plastic guns for primer. I don't think you can go wrong with your plan.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2017 :  05:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is an old thread, however, I now have experience with my Startlngline DeVilbiss spray guns.

I've applied epoxy primer and primer filler to my TA with the "primer" gun using the 1.8 tip. All work has been out side of my garage, not in a booth.

The gun handle states a max air pressure at the gun of 30 psi; this translates to 10 psi at the air cap. The gun is a HVLP unit so this pressure works for all the material I've sprayed.

Controls work fine and seem to be able to adjust the fan pattern and fluid.

Cleaning the material out of the gun cup, and the needle, fluid tip and cap is uneventful but time consuming. A clean gun keeps the flow and adjustability of the gun at it's best. Clean the gun and cup immediately with lacquer and or acetone.

For the DIYer, these guns are very good and worth the money. A professional might include them with more expensive brands just like a mechanic has an array of tools in his box.

Two thumbs up on this gravity fed spray gun.

----
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: