New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  02:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up a '78 Pheonix for free but the motor was a v6. It's already removed. I've got a '73'350 2 barrel motor and turbo 350 to put in it. But exhaust looks to be an issue. Any ideas on what I should do? I've not owned one of the "x" cars and know virtually nothing about them. The exhaust manifolds are still on the 350. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Adam

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would install the motor, and if there's nothing in the way of where the manifolds are pointing (like, they're not hitting the firewall or a crossmember or something) take it to an exhaust shop and let them tie it together...good custom exhaust work is a subtle art, and you could spend a whole weekend doing what would take them 40 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  01:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotcha, it sounds like that's good advice. I think that's what I'm going to do.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  9:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just started a different thread explains the option to buy a used 2 1/4" full dual exhaust set up for cheap. Could it work? It was an a body set up. ...69 gto. Of course mine is an x body.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That body used 301's in some applications (I believe), so you should be able to use that "approach" to exhaust if you can't get an exhaust shop to mock up something.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  12:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this project is back together and put a set of tabs on it today. Thanks for all the input on the exhaust issue! It rides a little rough, could use shocks and some front end bushings. But i have to admit a 78 Phoenix with weathered white paint, peeling paint on the rally's, and rusty trim rings fits right in..in the hilltop Tacoma hood. Watch out all you cutlass drivin snoop dog homies.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  10:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrik66

Watch out all you cutlass drivin snoop dog homies.

LOL. I know those guy's

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  12:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theres quite a few up here. They drive some x body style cars like, omegas, appolo's, novas, then Malibu's and all the other mid 70's hoop ties with 24" rims and what seems to be about an inch of rubber just glued to the rim. Absolutely no profile at all. Actually some have nice paint jobs but I can't imagine how bad they must handle. Even if I wanted into their club I'd be slapped in the face and treated like an orphan with my stock rims and lack of BOOM! In the speaker department. Lol. Who knows maybe I should feel lucky here...maybe I'll throw 22" rims and tires on it, hook up an amp,to a set of speakers, paint it "thier" color scheme and sell it to em! Hmm. Then I could get back to workin on the others! Except this was supposed to be my economy car. :( what to do..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: