Safety equipment for spraying epoxy primer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2013 :  11:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What I'm about to write is based on my research. Take it for what it's worth.

I've been concerned about how I was going to make body repairs to my TA and then shoot them to protect the sheet metal from rust. Based on today's modern undercoatings, I've come to the conclusion that epoxy primer is the best product over raw metal.

There are undercoatings that seal, there undercoatings that fill. What you use and how it is used is important.

My concern is protecting the metal. It is likely that I will be using a Dupont product --Nason. I've verified the color match for the top coat and it's available to me.

Well, I thought, what breathing mask must I use to protect my lungs from this stuff? Does it contain the damaging isocyanates? What am I going to do? I want to do this safely.

I had immediate concerns about using epoxy primer. How dangerous is it to use? I had long believed that if it was a 2 part mixture it contained isocyanates. Today, I learned that the Nason epoxy primer I plan to use as well as the catalyst that activates it, is free of the stuff.

This means that it can be safely applied, in my opinion, using an Air Purifying Respirator. 3M has them and they have a life span. Once so many hours of use time is on them--trash it and use a fresh one. Cartridges are not refillable. Get a new mask and proceed.

What is key to safely applying coats, whether under coats, primers, sealers,etc is to review the MSDS data on the product you plan to use Get into the details and look at the part number and see what chemicals are in it. Check out the solvents, reducers, as well. Also the activators...everything. One doesn't need to be a chemist, just sharp enough to see the word isocyanate in some form in the chemical compounds. If it's there, you have a bigger safety issue. Hope this is helpful. Paints continue to change so always double check.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2013 :  11:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,
I'm no expert, but I used Southern Polyurethanes gray epoxy primer over the bare metal, followed by the Nason primer/surfacer to get a build for blocking (after body work). Once all that was done, I wet sanded the nason to 600 grit, then put another coat of the epoxy over that (reduced to use as a sealer), then followed up with my base and clear.

I've got a 3m half mask respirator that does have replaceable cartridges that I used for all of it, with double filters (particulate filters over the cartridges). Whenever it got to the point that I could smell solvent, I replaced both the filters and the cartridges.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  10:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use 3M cartidges for half mask in my chem plant that are replacable. These are a better option for us than the disposable ones because a fit test is required to be documented and if we had to do that for disposibles it would be a PITA.

Bear. 3M cartidge and HEPA filters are generally good for 8 hours of use. If you wait untill you can smell the solvent then it's to late, that actually use to be the OSHA approved method when I started in the biz 20+ years ago. (could eplain some things now that I think about it)

Another thing to do is when the respirator is not in use store it in a air tight bag, we have to log the actually hours the cartidge is used so that my guys don't exceed the 8 hour life span.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You only have one set of lungs. It's imperative to keep bad stuff out of them. It goes without saying but lots of people, including myself in the past, sprayed paint without any protection. All those cars I painted in the 60s were done outside or in a garage area--not a paint booth. Lacquer smell wasn't too bad outdoors, but in a garage--you'd get dizzy after a couple of minutes. Fortunately, spray time was very short. Flash time was short. And fresh air was only a few steps away.

Much smarter today.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  7:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you're saying sniffing paint from a bag is not a good idea?

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2013 :  8:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

----
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: