New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miller
Buffalo

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  9:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..Hi..I have a 4 speed muncie trans,...the linkage and clutch is set correctly,...clutch is new,...the trans will shift from 1,2,3,4 without any problems or noise,...if I shift from 4th to 1st or 2nd no problem,...if I shift from 4th trying to go into 3rd it will not go into 3rd no grinding or noise,...at that point I can shift into 1,2,4 or netural,..but no good from 4 to 3,...what do you think may be wrong???...Thanks in advance...Miller

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  9:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what brand shifter? I'm guessing linkage play, or cheap shifter bind (get the summit universal job???)

make sure no linkage play, no shift arms on upside down or anything, right shifter (like not a 3 spd shifter on a 4 spd, can't imagine that but you know) and use a hurst shifter.

Make sure, too, from 4 to 3, that you're pushing the shifter up and slightly to the right, not catching "between gates"
Go to Top of Page

miller
Buffalo

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  10:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..Thanks for the reply...it is a 4 speed hurst shifter,...no slop in linkage,..the shift levers on the side of the trans are pointed up,..as for shift arms upside down I have nothing to refer to such as a picture...I will make sure to push up and to the right as you suggest,..Miller
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  10:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, good shifter, no slop, and yes levers (arms) pointed up. 4 to 3 should be easy, as is 3 to 4, since they're both straight from each other! Did you adjust shifter using the pin that goes in the shifter?

Is it easier to shift from 4 to 3 if you bring the rpms up a chunk with the throttle? If so, maybe worn synchros?
Go to Top of Page

miller
Buffalo

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  10:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..No pin but I used a screw driver that fit in the line up holes snugly while the shifter rods were off and the shifter in netural,...I have not tried to raise the rpms like you suggest but when I drive it again I will try that and see what happens...thanks again...miller
Go to Top of Page

miller
Buffalo

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  12:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...I got back wheels off ground,..went through all 4 gears no problems,...while in 4th I pushed the clutch all the way down and tried to shift from 4 to 3 while keeping the rpms about 1500 it would not go in, I moved the shifter back and forth a little and then pushed it a little harder and it went into 3rd....I don't know how it will act when on the road...I will have to try that...thanks for the tips and info...Miller
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you're on the road, honestly, it will be easier because you won't have the forward and backward slop in the drive line, and the resistance will change how things feel. I'm betting you're not going to notice very much of an issue going down the road.
Go to Top of Page

miller
Buffalo

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  2:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cortcomp...I made sure the linkage,linkage levers,rods were all set correct,nothing lose,...clutch is releasing all the way,...While driving down the road the trans shifts 1,2,3,4 with out problems,...I tried to go from 4 to 3 it would not go,..I played with gas rpm's and in/out with clutch it went in 2 different times one was grinding the other kind of pulled it self in 3rd,...during other times and while doing that I also put a lot of pressure on the stick that made no difference,..it appears that I will have to pull the trans and go for a repair/rebuild,...Question the trans will go into 3rd from 2nd and then 3rd into 4th without any problem is it possible that the shift linkage at the trans has some wear problems cause the linkage to get out of place?...thanks in advance Miller
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2013 :  8:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm no tranny guy, but that sounds like synchros, it's the synchros job to make it so you can shift without matching RPMS, shooting from the hip, that's what i'd guess. These tranny's aren't expensive to rebuild, i think it's like $280 in parts to do EVERYTHING in one of my 4 speeds (bearings, seals synchros, etc)...not that you're looking forward to spending money, just one of those things that once it's done you don't have to worry about it for a long long time.
Go to Top of Page

miller
Buffalo

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...I got around to doing something about the trans problem,...make a long story short I had it rebuilt,...the synchros were bad and a few gears were worn which could not be seen untill the trans was apart,...it is now fixed and works fine,....thanks to all for the info and help,...miller
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: