New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goatwgn
Buffalo

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  11:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you used exhaust flex couplings on the head pipe near the manifolds? These are the braided covered stainless "flex joints" like a lot of the newer cars use. I have the RARE Ram Air 2 1/2 inch manifolds on my 455 in my '66 Tempest wagon, and it has a set of 2 1/2 inch duals an a H-pipe. Dynomax ST long case mufflers. Has an 041 Melling cam. There is a little "squeaking" coming from the manifolds where the headpipes bolt on when the engine is at idle. The nuts tend to loosen up on the studs as well. I thought these might help that situation. Any thoughts or experience on this would be appreciated.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  12:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the engine mounts in good condition?

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 28 Feb 2013 12:03:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

goatwgn
Buffalo

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  2:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. New motor mounts. I think with the combination of the H pipe and the "tight" exhaust hangers, along with the "lope of the cam" it wants to move a little there. Tightening up the headpipes to the manifolds helps, I may need to get some more flexible exhaust hangers.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  3:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did this from my ram air manifolds to couple to the exhaust to get around for a few months until I could do exhaust right. There is no support from the couple back to the first hanger, so from the muffler forward to the front of the flex coupler, the exhaust hangs down. You'd almost need hangers right behind the flex coupler's rear exit. It will hang down more the longer the coupler is, mine were 20 inches. Like 6 inches might be ok, lift the system level before tightening the clamps.
Go to Top of Page

goatwgn
Buffalo

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  8:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info cortcomp.I may just install the flex coupling in the "H" pipe section. This will keep the exhaust system from being one single giant part. It should allow "normal" movement of the pipes as they would be without a pipe connecting the two systems. I ordered two of these, (Short ones) from Summit. I may put the other one in the H section on my Oldsmobile, as it has some weird humming coming from under it as well since I had an H pipe installed on that one.
Go to Top of Page

goatwgn
Buffalo

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  12:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had the new Summit 2 1/2 X 10 inch flex couplings installed last week. Did just what I wanted and allows free movement of the engine in relation to the exhaust. These larger couplings are stiff enough I didn't need any extra hangers. Had tailpipes adjusted down a little as well. RH side was almost touching spare tire well. System is a little quieter inside car now as well

Edited by - goatwgn on 13 Mar 2013 12:41:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  12:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy thought on this.

Is there a way to run hangers from the block to the head pipes? If so, the head pipes should never come lose from the factory (log type or RA) manifolds? Perhaps from a boss somewhere on the block?

At that point, for better or worse, all vibration/flex/movement from the engine would be handled by the pipes/mufflers/hangers beyond the head pipes. With a solid (may need to be welded) joint from the head pipe to the intermediate pipe would it not take a ton of stress off of the manifolds and head pipes?

Just throwing it out there for discussion.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: