Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  10:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
22 people read this and no one can reply no transmisson people on here ha ha

charles dixon
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5135 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  11:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No one running the BOP 2 speed. Let's break this down though, in my 67 tempest 6cyl, it came with a Buick ST300 (Super Turbine) 2 spd. Now, normally if something is buick it's a stout setup and not lightweight, but it did back a 6 cylinder which i THINK had a different bell pattern than the best of the BOP family. (i had the OHC pontiac 6).

Then there's the powerglide, of chevy fame. Tons of powergilde are of course used in racing.

I don't know if a powerglide ever came in BOP, others can answer. But i can tell you that the ST300 is a different tranny, parts don't interchange. Be sure which one you get.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3277 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  11:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope Chuck, just old body guy's and shade tree mechanics. Saw one glide in a first gen bird convertable, white. All i remember is the big underbody plate was a PITA. The TH 350 and 400 stuff is interchangable with correct tail shaft length. Dont see why a glide would be any differant. Just less parts.

Bull Nose Formula, 461, TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 26 Feb 2013 11:43:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5135 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think he's asking if you can use beefed up powerglide parts inside the ST300 to make it stronger. Am i wrong there chuck?
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7129 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  2:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BOP 2 speed was used behind small V-8's too. The last one I saw was in a 65 Skylark with a Buick 310 engine.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3277 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops!

Bull Nose Formula, 461, TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

pontiacchuck
Buffalo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  4:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes cortcomp that is what i was asking also is there any performace gain running a st300 instead of a 350 also i have connections to welding al so i may be able to mount a glide to a pontiac if there was a advatage in performace

charles dixon
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5135 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  6:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can get an adapter plate already to put a glide behind a pontiac.

I'd think the 350 would be slightly better because shifting would keep you in the torque band?

It really honestly comes down to what kind of racing, what power level, goals, etc. Others here can give you advice on a 3 spd vs a 2 spd. I just know they're different internally.
Go to Top of Page

madokie
Tribal Scout

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2017 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes bop pattern aluminum powerglides do exist,have personally seen 2.they are out there, just very rare, and hard to find.would only use one for racing,,for street plenty of options,, if you want to replace a ST300 a th350 is a very easy swap.

CAROLYN JONES (1930-1983)this beautiful lady should never be forgotten!!!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7129 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2017 :  07:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PG is a different trans than the ST300. If you want a glide for some reason, go with an aftermarket bell while you're having it built up and don't waste time with the cheesy adaptor. I'm not up on the ST300's but don't believe the infrastructure is out there to build up like a glide.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: