1964 GTO B/MP Ohio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

paxton
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  2:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone one have info on a 64 GTO that raced for Thompson Pontiac, Norwood Ohio? This was during the 1964 year. (pics exist of Connecticut dragway and the car). Sorry if I posted in the wrong category but Goats is Goats and none of the other cat`s seemed right either.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  4:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're talking my neck of the woods. Pontiac loyalty run strong here. In fact, 500 feet from my back yard used to be the howland drag strip, before it got taken over by soccer moms and middle class suburbanites. This is a shot in the dark, they know and own a ton of Pontiacs, but i don't know how much "history" they're into. In Orwell, at Midway Chevrolet (formerly Midway Pontiac Buick Chevy with emphasis on Pontiac) the Scott family has several generations of Pontiac owners and racers. Jimmy does racing in the funny car class i THINK, his brother Jack has several Pontiacs, and their dad has a few. They may know of the car of which you speak, because they're only like 40 min from Thompson dragway , and about 2 or so hours from Norwood. They've been in the area a long time, and they likely know all the other area dealer owners, maybe you'll be lucky.

The dealership number is 440-437-6200, it's a small friendly family owned dealership that's been there a long time. Ask for Jimmy or Jack, tell them you were asking about an old local Pontiac race car, and Mike from the computer shop said that it was a shot in the dark, but that they might be able to point you in the right direction (its whereabouts, owners, or who ran it last, or whatnot.)
Go to Top of Page

paxton
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  8:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me how to attach a picture of the car.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  10:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4587

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

850 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of the subject 64 GTO. Paxton sent it to me for inclusion in his post.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  1:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That says "Norwood, Mass" on the door...i'm not thinking it's the same thompson pontiac as ohio, or norwood ohio either?
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill! I knew you would be happy to assist Paxton.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

paxton
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good catch. I have no idea why I said Ohio. Oh those senior moments!!!! Norwood, Mass it is. But hope we can find a little more info on the car. I see the headers/dumps hanging under both cars, and the 348hp on the GTO, but it would be great if someone could come up with some under hood pics or info. Great looking car by the way. The drop top 63 chevy must have been packing a fairly potent mill. The 348hp GTO would have run B/Stock if no alterations had been made. So the 63 Impala with the 409 and heavy convert body may have placed about the same if we were talking a stock class. Hard to tell what mods exactly placed these two against each other.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1675 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2013 :  09:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live near Norwood but don't know of a Thompson Pontiac. I will ask some friends who grew up there if they know who owns it now.
Go to Top of Page

paxton
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2013 :  10:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian. There has to be someone out there that would remember the car.
Go to Top of Page

1971T37
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2017 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dead link on that Thompson GTO pic. I have a handful of others. I can try to post them here or just join my vintage pontiac drag photo group on fb

MATTHEW E DUFFY

Edited by - 1971T37 on 02 Dec 2017 7:21:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

1971T37
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2017 :  7:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

MATTHEW E DUFFY

Edited by - 1971T37 on 02 Dec 2017 7:22:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic