gen light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skmod66
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  12:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 67 1/2 firebird. gen light came on and i chnaged the alternator. i have 13.77 to 14.2 at the battery on idle but gen light inside is still on. any ideas?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  12:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd wonder where that light get's it's signal. The generator had an external regulator setup, and also usually the car had an amp meter. Those are wired differently than your alternator that likely has an internal regulator and uses only 2 wires and a voltmeter that doesn't need current draw across it to read. If i recall, the gen light comes off of a lead from the regulator. Depending on your setup, you likely don't even have power at the regulator anymore.

From another (chevy) site, but likely applies here [sorry, can't find my 67 manual lately :( ]

"Does the light come on and stay on all the time?
Actually "b" stands for brown. If you look about a foot up twords the plug end of the harness from the 4 way splice on the drivers side and the same from the one lug connector over by the battery, you will see what looks like two small fuse holders. These house two I believe 2 amp short fuses. If one of them has blown, (which they like to do when you change external voltage regulators) it will cause the "GEN" light to come on and stay on.
Check them to see if they are blown. That may be the problem, especially if your alt is putting out 14 v and you have 14 v at the battery."
Go to Top of Page

skmod66
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  12:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alternator uses the usual two wire connector plus larger 10 guagebattery wire light stays on all the time
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  2:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
still, if you bypassed the regulator, i don't know that light should go out, since the regulator doesn't get any power.
Go to Top of Page

skmod66
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  2:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im running an external reg ulator its a 67 they dont have internals back in the day.lol
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  3:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OH i understand now, your car came with an alternator not a generator, my bad! I thought you upgraded from a gen to a brand new alternator.

In that case, chase the wire from the gen light under the dash to the regulator, there may be a fuse or fusible link the way that is broken somewhere, or the regulator may be messed up.
Go to Top of Page

skmod66
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  2:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
new reg 14 .33 vlots steady at adle new alt still have a gen light on . anyone know where the feed comes from ? does i t run through the ignition swiotch? or directly from alternator. odd problem but it is an old car
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  2:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a discussion on another board about alternators with regulators and while it doesn't describe your problem it does touch on the location(s) of the idiot light wiring that might help you out.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708889
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  5:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would un-plug everything an check with an ohm meter for continuity on each wire and for short to ground. Also make sure the body is grounded. These diagrams a slightly differant but end up connecting the same way. These are generic GM diagrams but I Hope it will help.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 21 Nov 2012 5:19:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

jessicasmith
Tribal Scout

1 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  07:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the light come on and stay on all the time?
Actually "b" stands for brown. If you look about a foot up twords the plug end of the harness from the 4 way splice on the drivers side and the same from the one lug connector over by the battery, you will see what looks like two small fuse holders. These house two I believe 2 amp short fuses. If one of them has blown, (which they like to do when you change external voltage regulators) it will cause the "GEN" light to come on and stay on.
Check them to see if they are blown. That may be the problem, especially if your alt is putting out 14 v and you have 14 v at the battery."

same confusion i have

jessica
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  09:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This thread seems long dead, haven't seen much of skmod66 , but welcome to the forums! Tell us about yourself in the welcome thread and post up some pics! Here's the new members thread:

http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2417&whichpage=3
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q. Why do golfers wear two pairs of pants?
http://www.latewatches.com/panerai-submersible.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: