New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  10:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the engine break-in on our new 400 build, (equipped with RA Manifolds) I found an exhaust leak... passenger side Ram Air Manifold with the correct felpro gasket (called for by the manifold manufacturer, forget the number right off hand) has a pretty good gap (can actually see it) on #8 port and is a bad exhaust leak.

Not sure if it's the head or the manifold that isn't good and flat but it's not going to be fixed by tightening the bolts... going to have to either have the manifold checked for flatness, or go with a thicker gasket (probably would do it). Thinking I may try a Remflex gasket on that side.

The driver side seems to have sealed up good.

Has anyone else ever had an issue like this with reproduction Ram Air exhaust manifolds?

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both sets of mine sealed up perfect. Yank the manifold and check with a straight edge? I know its ghetto, but if its the head, maybe get by for now with double gaskets?
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  2:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I swapped to Remflex gaskets and love them. Thick and crushable. I don't know how much of a gap you're dealing with but I bet they'll seal. One draw back is that once they're installed, if you ever have to remove them be VERY careful. Once they've been crushed, they're pretty fragile.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  1:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
since we don't have a complete exhaust system yet (just downpipes and attached some mufflers for the break-in) we may pull the manifold and check for straightness. if it's not right we might try the remflex first, as I actually have one spare one sitting around the garage not even being used. (used one out of a set after one of mine blew out on my lemans from not being tightended enough.)

I like the remflex gasket and honestly i think it would seal and crush enough. I'll examine the game a little more closely (not gaping but I believe I could stick a ~.020" feeler guage in it, with the gasket there.

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  1:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be a small casting flaw or a piece of old rusted on gasket still on the head, holding off the new malifold.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fix - i had an old remflex gasket that i had blown one of the center ports gasket out (wasn't tightened nearly enough), so I cut the end of the gasket (to fit #8 exhaust port) off and used it. I left the rest of the felpro gasket intact, and just used the remflex on the one port. tightened everything up real good and tight, and voila! no more exhaust leak.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: