New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atxbigdaddyd
Buffalo

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i pull the release on my 67 GP and the arm dropped 6" and was loose, and the hood was still shut!!! WTF! it is on the first step and is slightly opened enough to see the latch. i tried to push the hook with a big screw driver, but no luck. HELP!!!
how can i get the hood open?

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  7:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried shutting it all the way again and then when you pull the lever, pull straight up. If that doesn't work, try pull up and to one side (driver's or passenger side), then try the other side.

Chances are your hood latch is misaligned.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4239 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  8:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds like the link that pulls on the latch has come out (held in with like an e clip or something.) maybe get a coat hangar witha short 90 degree bend in the end and sneak in there and try to grab that hole on the bottom of the latch and pull it open.

Wait, that's how my 71 is, never looked at my 66 :-/
Go to Top of Page

atxbigdaddyd
Buffalo

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  8:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it won't come all the way out, but is loose. maybe i can feel around and get one pull out of it. can i get to it if i pull the front body parts off?
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  09:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened with one of my cars. Try pushing down on the hood (above the latch) while pulling the lever. Keep the lever "pulled" and release your pressure over the latch. When you release the hood maybe it will open far enough to nudge the safety. Once you have it open it should be just a basic adjustment of the spring and some lube on the latch assembly.

If that doesn't work, try saying "Open Sesame..." LOL

Edited by - Vid on 28 Sep 2012 09:55:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

hbomb7677
Tribal Scout

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  2:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my GP, I can just lay down under the front bumper, reach up and pull.....either the release cable or "hook" itself.
Go to Top of Page

atxbigdaddyd
Buffalo

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2012 :  4:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ cortcomp-thanks for the help. i was able to fish around with the lever and find its "home". but it will come out still. on my GP, it is hidden behind a lower valance(?) and the bumper, no way to it w/o pulling parts off. back to work!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: