header bolts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know for sure if a 76 f/bird w/350 ,6x4 heads has the bolts already inthe head for headers ? Just checking !!!

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but if you're asking if the 6X heads are missing the end holes drilled and tapped like some earlier quirky heads, the answer is that the 6X heads have all the holes drilled and tapped needed no matter what you want to bolt to them.
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  11:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep; That's what I wanted to know ! Thanks ,Now I'll have to make the choice of headers ?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always recommend ram air restoration's cast manifold headers, they're so damn easy to install. I've read that you leave minor power on the table with them, and others saying bigger cams with different durations leave more power on the table with them than other cam designs. I don't actually know.

But, a 350 with 6x-4 isn't going to have any breathing problems, honestly likely even through stock manifolds. I'd leave them with stock manifolds, or go with the smaller ram air manifolds if they make them for your body car. No gains to be head with that setup and headers with a stock cam, etc., but a TON of headaches to be had with modern headers (we've heard some rough install stories in the last month or two alone!)
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  12:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the opening on the logs could be opened up (Hogged out) quite a bit. Good dual exhaust will help. Are those cars equiped with the double hump crossmembers to accept duels?

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  10:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of lining up the parts for my upgrade this winter , I've got e/b performer with a q/jet 4 brl. and a e/b cam/lifter kit , timing set ,I have a new distributor with higher voltage over stock .(I'm thinking about getting one recurved but don't know where I can get that done yet !!) I've developed an exhaust leak recently so I thought while i'm getting this other stuff done it might be a good time to do something w/headers of some sort .I presently have a dual exhaust with flowmasters so I'm not sure if headers are really going to do much more !Thanks for any thoughts on this subject !!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  11:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF you are considering the RA manifolds, take a look at the Hedman shorty headers. I know people poo poo them and for good reason but that reason really only applies to when they are compared to full length headers. Once you make a decision to go with RA manifolds, the shorty units offer comparable or slightly better performance, lighter weight and less cost. FWIW

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  11:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donr forget the cost of the new down pipes and hardware.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  12:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, which should be a wash between the manifolds and shorty headers btw.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: