headers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  11:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ramair cast sound like the best way to go for my 76 f/bird w/350 auto w/dual flow/m on it now from what I'm gathering here ,correct ??Thanks for any advice !!

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  11:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome bober. Put those heads on a 455 then add full lenght headers.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  04:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bober, welcome and it sounds like you have been reading the comments on here and elsewhere. Like any other choice for your car, you have to decide what your car does and doesn't do. I think headers are always a good choice for performance, IF you can put up with the issues they cause.

I was thinking about a set of RA exhaust manifolds myself. I was thinking that they probably run as well as my three tube headers. Or if there is a loss of hp, so what if I lose 20 hp in my 350hp 400. Then it hit me. The lower the output of your engine, the more your going to notice when you have a power loss. Hmmmmmmm.....maybe I think too much !

From what I've read, it seems that the RA manifolds perform best with an older type cam grind with wider lsa. For example, an 068 Pontiac cam with a lobe separation angle of 114 to 116 degrees.

I for one just like the idea of having room and not having to change header gaskets. But then, I have always run cheap headers. (Actually all three Pontiacs I have owned came with headers on them, so I have never ever bought a set.) I hear it's like everything else. Your going to pay for good fit and quality.

When my headers are gone. I'm going to give the RA manifolds a try. If not sooner.....

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  07:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome bober. What engine/heads? If original, most likely a YR 350 with 6X-4 heads or has it been changed?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  09:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the original 350 w/2brl .6x4 dual flow/masters . My winter project is to swap the 2 for a 4 Qjet w/e/perf. intake e/b cam and so on , I've noticed a leak in the exhaust so I thought if I have to adress that I may want to do the other things that will boost the hp while I'm there ??? Thought about some diff. heads but can't come to a conclusion on what # if any would make alot of diff. for the xtra $$$'s . Anyway ,I just want to adress all the things that would be easier to do while this far into it !! I've heard all the bad stories about the trouble w/headers leaking and installation and more so I wanted one that should be trouble free ,(as much as poss.) Thanks All and any input from all the experience out there is appreciated !!!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't underestimate that engine. While they were real wheezers in stock tune, you'd be surprised at how well they can run if it's in good mechanical shape (compression etc).

I had one exactly like yours and it ran 14 flat in a T/A with the following (mild) mods:
Performer intake
Holley 600 (tuned for combo) (I'd run a Qjet today but this was 25 years ago)
067 Factory replacement cam
Cheap cassler $99 4 tube headers
Recurved HEI
Turbo 350 w/shift kit & stock convertor
2.25" dual exhaust w/dynomax turbo mufflers and H-pipe.
3.08 limited slip rear.

Tolerated any kind of gas, idled smoothly and had a flat torque curve like Texas. Mileage was decent and with the 3.08's was able to take on trips.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 09 Sep 2012 11:35:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  9:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good as that is just about what I'll end up with the upgrades ! I do have the 3.08 posi also . I had the qjet and the perf. intake and have just purchased the the e/b cam kit to go with it . I'm real anxious to get the upgrade going . Thanks for sharing the info . This eng . runs strong now as is so I think it will nice when it's all done .I want to squeeze all the hp I can out of it ofcourse.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2012 :  11:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
E/B cam kit? Edelbrock? Does anyone here run those? I'd be curious who really makes their cams and what other cams they are close to.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  01:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like there are three. The first is identical to the melling torquer i keep talking about 420/443 lift. the second is real close to the 041. 231/240 @50 470/470. the third i dont recognize A/D 298/304 // @50 224/234 465/488 lsa 114. Looks like they are supposed to match there line of intakes.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there are better choices out there than Edelbrocks "shake & bake" cams.

Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  07:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bober, I found this test performed by Jim Hand......

http://www.bafb.org/1968firebird.org/jharticles/jharticles12.htm

The numbers he comes up with may not jive with other numbers you can find elsewhere on the internet. I trust his results because he performs his tests in real driving situations. Both street and strip. You won't find many dyno runs on his setups.

I think the 041 cam is a bit much for a 350. I think Phil is correct in his choice of the 067 cam. Rated at 200/213 @ 0.050 on a 113.5 LSA. The advertised duration is 273/289.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  10:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for ALL the feedback!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: