Headers and Starter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  04:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my starter installed in the GTO. Man it's tight in there. The headers actually touch the starter. That can't be right.

These are the three tube chrome headers I got with the car. I have no idea who made them or how old they are. I have to run a short oil filter too. I guess I'll have to pry them away from the starter and hope I don't bend the tubes too bad.

Ram Air exhaust manifolds are starting to look good. I just hate to give up 20 to 30 hp. Then again, with the three tube headers, maybe it's not that much.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Edited by - Vanmor on 07 Sep 2012 04:32:36 AM

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  09:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are against the starter, are you sure they are even sealed at the head flange and not "cocked" a bit? Time for a mini starter(?)

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Factory style starter? If so, consider one of the various mini-starters out there. I'm running a RobbMc myself and love it. An additional feature is that it's "clockable" - you can rotate the housing around to position the solenoid whereever you want - I've got mine pointing down and as far away from the headers as I can get it. Summit has a decent one too:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-820311/
I've got one of these as a "backup". It's "somewhat" clockable too, but not to the degree that the RobbMc starter is.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  09:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember, if you're running RA manifolds, you're only losing 20-30HP at WOT and on a motor built to the level they tested with. The average horsepower on the dyno is like, what, 150? there isn't much when you're cruising and passing and whatnot. I'm betting, seat of the pants, no difference, and none on the dyno during normal throttle loads.

On a bigger CI motor with some strip time in the mix, and you need that flow, well then yes long tubes win.

I put my RA headers on before dropping the motor in. I have SO MUCH room for full oil filters, starters, back drive linkage, reaching up to check on things from the bottom, etc, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  11:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're seated perfectly. Well, as about as perfect as you can for headers. Long story but I got a set of FREE duals with an X-pipe thrown in. The only problem is, a friend traded them out on some work he did and I had to do it right then and there. The starter and driveshaft were not installed at the time. I'm sure there were some "adjustments' made to the headers. So now they hit the starter and driveshaft. I'm sure some tweaking of the pipes are in order.

I've gotten a lot of good reports on the mini starter. I've heard that RobbMC has quality stuff.

I found a few reports and comparisons done on the RA manifolds. They only lose like 1 hp to shorty headers. It's been found that running the older type cams seem to work better with them. I'm running a Summit 2801 so that may be a plus.

Edited by - Vanmor on 07 Sep 2012 11:03:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  02:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree that an aftermarket mini-starter is a must if your running headers. I've been running a Powermaster starter for about 10 years on my goat. As mentioned, the newer "clockable" mini-starters give even more valuable header clearence. Eventhough they're supposed to be able to deal with heat soak better than the stock one, it still doesn't hurt to keep it insulated as well as the wiring. I like using aluminum tape to hold the insulation instead of the expensive stainless straps. http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9510/10002/-1?parentProductId=755516

These jegs mini-starters are priced resonably. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/10003/10002/-1?parentProductId=#moreDetails

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2012 :  6:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got under the car today and shimmed the starter. The headers still touch or are very close on that side. I also noticed that the oil filter is about the same distance from the headers on the other side. I'm starting to wonder if my old chrome headers are just plain bent. There is only one flat spot and it ain't that bad. I really thought that three tube headers were made for better clearance and easier installation.

Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happen to enter your blog with the help of Google search. To my sheer luck I got what I was searching for. Thanks.
http://www.vintbridals.com/bridesmaid-dresses.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: