New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff
Buffalo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  8:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just upgraded my msd ready run distributor to a module with a rev limiter. The original module with out a rev limiter worked well using the original wiring for the points distributor. The module with the rev limiter does not like the switch in voltage between the crank and run positions. Most of the time when the engine strats the rev limiter actuates at idle, sometimes I can play with the throttle and it straightens out. Any of you that have made the change from points to HEI or aftermarket elec.? Which circuit did you use to power the coil? I could try removing the resistor wire but the module is likely to still see it switch sources.

73 Formula 72 T/A clone 406 #12 heads, Comp 280H, RPM intake,hooker comp. headers, Scorpion rockers 4spd. 3:42 gears

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  08:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bear will probably chime in.
Here's his experiemce.
http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5837" target="_blank"> br / http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5837
Go to Top of Page

jeff
Buffalo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  8:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I killed the 2 original wires and ran a new wire from the fuse box ign. spade to the distributor pos. All is good!

73 Formula 72 T/A clone 406 #12 heads, Comp 280H, RPM intake,hooker comp. headers, Scorpion rockers 4spd. 3:42 gears
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  12:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm running an HEI, "currently" (ar ar ar) with no rev-limiter because I haven't found one I like. (A brand new MSD external stranded me once and I'm not going to give it a chance to do it again.) To get power to the HEI, I took the original coil hot wire and used it instead to trigger a generic headlight relay that supplies a full 12v to the HEI on a dedicated circuit straight from the fuse block. This way, I don't have to worry about resistor wire/no resistor wire --- either one is more than enough to trigger the relay --- and I know I'm getting full power to the HEI. I mounted the relay on the firewall close to the HEI, so if I ever decide to go back to a stock points system all the original wires are still there and will reach.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

jeff
Buffalo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  06:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nascar runs to box's for a reason. The ready run was on the car when I bought it, keep my fingers crossed. I've had many of cars towed in with bad HEI modules. Know some tech's that kept a spare in the glove box. If I didn't have a cell phone and triple A I'd probably carry a spare HEI distributor.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  09:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well pointing to nascar never really is apples to apples with street cars. I mean, sometimes i have to turn right, and sometimes idle, and sometimes just cruise. Also, i'm trying to get away from a tear down and rebuild after every drive, and with luck these new tires will last more than one weekend.
Go to Top of Page

torqueymonster
Cochise

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  3:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh.
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A. Because she wanted to test the waters!
http://www.amreplicawatches.com/

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: