New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  10:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to take my car up for the first time to this event, had a blast.

I ran in the Tin Indian Performance Street class.

Got there too late on Friday to make any passes, didn't even unload the car off the trailer.
1st time trial saturday, I was a nervous wreck. completely botched it. Think I left in 2nd gear, or never shifted into 3rd... i know i only shifted once though. ran 14.0x @ 92mph.

2nd time trial saturday, much better with a 13.15 @ 107.9mph (iirc), but spun pretty bad at launch, and about halfway down the track the car sorta stumbled a bit, thought it was running out of fuel. on the way to staging lanes for 1st round of eliminations, noticed the gen light was on... in lanes, popped the hood, see that the belt is missing. aparently it broke on the last time trial, and i'm guessing it smacked the fuel line and caused a disruption, which caused it to stumble on that pass. No other passes all weekend did the engine ever stumble. After all that, thought that pass was still a little slower than I was capable of.

1st round elims on saturday, dialed a 13.00, pulled off a 13.12. launched a little easier and didn't spin. got beat to the line but the other guy broke out. so my first ever actual race made it to round 2 = I was pretty excited.

Dad found a belt over in the swap meet area that he thought might work, and it was perfect. he told the guy the situation, and the guy just gave him the belt for free. (dad gave him a $3 for it though) we tried it, it fit perfect and got me through the rest of the weekend!

2nd round elims on saturday, I dialed a 13.07 because i'd ran 13.15 and 13.12 back to back, so figured this was a safe bet, with a little room for improvement. but ran a 13.03 - broke out. So i was done for saturday.

1st round elims sunday, it was a little cooler (temp), but still very humid. I dialed a 12.98, and ran 12.95, so another breakout loss and out of the race after round 1. (edit) forgot to mention it spun hard off the line again, got off the throttle and back in it, then it hooked and went. still caught the guy, passed him, got outa the gas, and STILL broke out.

Still, loved every second!

Got to see RayK and his family again, was nice to hang with them a very little bit. Yall left too soon Ray! rain stopped around 10:30 or 11, we were racin by 1. wish coulda spent more time together but I had very little down time all weekend. If I wasn't racing or messing with the car, was keepin dad happy over in the swap meet and car show area.

There is still a lot in this car, i just need to figure out how to find it.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress

Edited by - PontiacMatt on 06 Aug 2012 11:26:54 AM

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like great fun. High 12's is pretty strong. Nice job.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I learned - the brake pedal can be your friend. if i had drug the brakes at the top end on both my breakout losses (passed the opponents before the finish line both times), i might not have broke out and made it another round or 2.

Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  11:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will try to scan some time slips and post later.

Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt, it was nice to hang with you as well! We had a great time. Both of my boys told me how nice you are. Maybe next year if you bring your car we can pit closer depending on when you get there. We actually had an open pit next to us most of the day Saturday, so maybe we can exchange phone #'s beforehand and if you get there early enougth i can try to save you a pit next to us?

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  1:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray that's a great idea! I'd love to pit near you guys. haha, well tell em I said thanks! They are very pleasant and friendly. I thought 3 or 4 times over the weekend how handy it would be to have your phone number.. haha. had a few questions at times, and other times just thought it would be cool to catch up. anyway, yea I say lets try to make that happen next year!

Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  6:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt, send me a private message at lonewlf455@aol.com

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just sent!

Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  08:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a few pictures I snapped while up there...

Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  08:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics.
I really like your Lemans.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian!

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats alot of weight for a chevy.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where were all the spectators? I haven't been to Norwalk since '98 but as I recall, they had a decent crowd that year. What happened? How large was the field of entries? Bad weather?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  12:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, the weather was really nice, hot but nice. Not sure but when I went over to the swap meet/car show side there was A LOT of people over there as usual. There really didn't seem to be as many people walking the pits as there has been in the past, but then again we were pitted so far away from staging we needed binoculars to see staging from our pit.

Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  1:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B&P, looks like she's squattin pretty good but she handled it like a champ. calculated 13.5 mpg on the way up after the first leg of the trip (Lawrenceburg, KY to Columbus, OH. ~200 miles) It did a little better I believe on the way home... not sure why? I kept it on cruise as much as possible, right at, or within 3mph of the speed limit the whole way. spent roughly $150 on diesel fuel for the 700 mile trip.

Bill, Saturday it was pretty hot and those seats are even worse seems like. the majority of the crowd stays in the swap meet, car show, and manufacturers midway areas. or the shade. then the pit side of the track is constantly crawling with racers and their "crew". I, like Ray, was parked waaaay back in the pits, almost at the end of the shutdown lane. actually, i was another ~150 yards further back than Ray. we watched as they turned their cars around at the end of the track, just ~75 yards away. never heard a car count, but when I got there friday night, there was literally no empty spaces in the pits. i was fortunate, some guy was leaving and let me have his space.

Now Sunday was a different story, it rained from about 8:30 til 10:30, so most people cleared out. but then the weather turned nice and they were able to start racing by 1.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  3:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hot sunny weather makes us all wilt. I can understand the buzzing in the vendor area. Moving around is far better than baking in the sun while sitting in the bleachers. Glad to hear there were plenty of cars in the field and in the pits. That is encouraging. Let's hope this big event continues for many, many more years. Maybe I'll get a chance to spectate next year...who knows.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  4:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill...be more optimistic! Maybe you'll be able to run the bird next year!!!
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  4:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet it was a great event. And not once did you hear someone say is that a big block in your Chevelle(instead of Lemans).
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  7:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BNorris, there actually was a few "other" guys running the Chevy under their Pontiac hoods. One guy even runs a Chevy power license plate on his car EXCEPT at ther Tri Powerr Nats when he puts a Pontiac Racing plate on it, but I know better. lol. There is a guy who runs a black LeMans wagon and has a BBC under the hood.

Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  11:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it was a blast. I should be there next year....

Nice job with the racing.
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  06:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the monster has been created. Jr. wants to run a novice circuit at Norwalk in the Spring. He also wants to take his car out for a test and tune this evening. He's hooked!

Edited by - RayK on 10 Aug 2012 06:51:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  09:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great Ray! I have been counting penny's all week and watching the weather to see if I may be able to make it out to a track tonight or tomorrow... weather is the main issue.

let us know how he does!

Did he ever weigh his car at Norwalk? after i picked up my timeslip after one pass, i noticed a car pull onto the scales and get weighed, so thought i'd do the same. race weight for me, with little over 1/4 tank of fuel, little under 3800 lbs. (376x if I remember correctly).

Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt, he did in fact weigh his car. It weighed 3240 with him in it. I didn't realize he stripped that much weight out of it but when he told me I almost........well I was surprised.
I think tonight is out for running at the track. It's been raining all day here and it's starting to thunder. The radar map is green across the state so if it does clear up, I'm sure the track wouldn't be any good until late, and I'm too old to be up late anymore. LOL.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2014 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know it's an old thread but it has plenty of pics of matts car...MATT! Here's your cars sister!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Le-Mans-Sport-Convertible-1971-Pontiac-LeMans-Sport-Convertible-/251589849411?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3a93ec7143&item=251589849411&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: