New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billwolf620
Buffalo

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  07:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to rebuild the front end of my car and I have been looking to put an aluminum radiator with electric fans in my 72 luxury lemans. But the prices are expensive for the brand new radiator with dual fans. I was wondering if a radiator and electric fans from the newer LT1 engines would be enough to cool my 400 that is lightly built with headers, flowmaster exhaust, semi high rise intake, mild cam and 670 cfm holly carb.

Thanks!

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  7:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What rad/fan combo did you go with? I know exact replacements from companies like becool are going for too much IMO. I have this griffin universal that I've used for several years and it has the larger 1 1/4" dual cores and it is the one with the largest core, its still reasonably priced at just $279.69 just double check your measurements. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-8-00008/

Also the stock lower rad hose won't work, I picked an exact fit from autozone that I believe is for a sliverado pick-up. I'm running a single 15" flex-a-lite extreme black magic fan, like the one used on 5.0 mustangs that's built with a shroud that covers about 80% of the rad core. They make a larger dual fan that covers the entire core but it costs another 100 bucks and draws a lot more power.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-180/

The upside is that you'll only spend $600 for a cooling setup that you probably won't outgrow unless you build an11:1 600+HP combo. The downside is you'll spend more time making it all fit vs. spending $1100+ on a specific fit becool setup.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: