Fan Hits Shroud
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  10:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On my 68' GTO, the top metal fan guard or shroud is hitting the top of my fan. Or rather the fan is hitting it.

I'm trying to work out what might be wrong. It would help if I knew what the proper clearence should be.

Also, how far into the plastic shroud should the fan be ? i've looked at a number of images online. It looks like on the 68', the fan almost doesn't enter the shroud at all !

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  08:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the fan should be half in the shroud half out. I have electric fan so I am not sure.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Rad said, general consensus is half in half out.

Is your tranny mount and crossmember in good shape?

Those are two possible causes that could cause the front of the motor to tip up and get into the shroud.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  12:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fan should be close to center up and down with a third of it out of the shroud. Your core support is probably to low. Bushings to thick or something. Every year the fan spacer changed in lenght so you may have the wrong spacer.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  6:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The crossmember and tranny mounts are new. As are the motor mounts.

The mounts for the core support are also new. I was wondering about the height. But I have nothing to compare it to or have a number for the correct height.

There was no spacer on the fan when I removed it.

Since I have a new aluminum radiator, I'm thinkiing an electric fan may be the way to go.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  7:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
even with alum radiator, run an oem 7 blade fan (not aftermarket) and clutch. You'll be happy, cool AND quiet!
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  7:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CC, most folks you see online or out on the street run an electric fan with these two row aluminum radiators.

I did want to try and keep my mechanical fan for now.

I'm thinking one of the above suggestions might be my problem. Maybe my core support is too low. The bushing under the support is not as tall as the one between it and the frame. Maybe I just need to flip them and see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  8:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ran a 2 row generic aluminum with flex fans and clutch fans, motor was 165 all the time. Good shroud fitment and good fan placement accounts for a lot. A lot of guys think the elc fans are cool, and street rodders love them, but i hate the sound and think they look out of place. Guess it's all just taste. The material vs fan type doesn't matter as much i feel as picking the right parts that work together. When you see a guy zip tie a single elec fan in front of a radiator, i just shake my head.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  8:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, you got a point CC.

My stepbrother has a 70 Cuda. He has gone thorugh three sets of electric fans. He went back to the original and says it even cools better than before.

I did some measuring a while ago. Everything seems OK with the core support. Even the new bushings are pretty close in their compressed state.

Now I'm wondering if I have too much tilt to the engine. Like maybe I have the wrong transmission mount. I don't have anything to compare it with since my car came to me with no transmission at all. The two mounts I found in the trunk were missing their rubber.

Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using a 69 and up waterpump. 11 bolts instead of 8 around the waterpump
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  10:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
8 Bolt

Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  04:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was always trying to line everything up by hand or eye and nothing was helping. I didn't want to mount the fenders but got an idea to measure the mounting length. I then cut some 2.5 inch pvc pipe into two lengths and notched each end. This gave me a pair of struts to hold the core support out to it's correct angle.

Now the upper and lower shroud fit and work great.

Edited by - Vanmor on 26 Sep 2012 04:50:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  09:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant idea! What fan is that?? Looks like a 19 or 20" staggered 7 blade? should be a cooling and quiet monster!
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CC I have no idea what size fan that is. I could measure it and find out.

That PVC pipe has been in may way for over a year. I looked and it and then thought "hmmmmmm....."

The clutch I bought for the fan is about 1/4" shorter than the old one. That fan is not inside the shroud at all. It was just barley in there with the old clutch. I was thinking about a spacer, but it would have to 2" inches. I think thats too long and would put undo strain on water pump shaft.

I loosened the core support bolts and pulled it all the way forward. I may have it too far forward. I'll just have to see when the fenders go back on.

Edited by - Vanmor on 26 Sep 2012 10:59:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  12:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Idia. Now fab up an underhood cup holder.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 26 Sep 2012 12:28:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  1:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is it flex or clutch fan? if it's flex, 2" is nothing compared to the strain of the clutch on the end, it's heavy as can be. I ran a 3" spacer ont he flexfan with no probs before i went to clutch. If it's a clutch fan, well, i've never seen a spacer for it, but i'm sure someone makes one, and i'm sure it's not a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  8:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No spacer on a clutch fan. That setup will work fine with whatever spacing you end up with. Those are overkill for most cars, at least around here.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7223 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  12:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flex fans are only good for...uhhh...hmmm...can't think of anything.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: