Radiator Rubbers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  9:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only have one of my rubber radiator insulators. I know I need four. Two for the top and two for the bottom.

I did a lot of searching on the internet and only came up with two choices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-81-PONTIAC-GTO-Firebird-Trans-am-Radiator-Pads-KIT-/390390649453?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1968%7CModel%3AGTO%7CMake%3APontiac&hash=item5ae518926d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROTHANE-GM-RADIATOR-INSULATORS-68-87-SBC-/330568256659?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6953572351739804719

The tapered type in the top link seem to be the most common. Just don't understand why they are tapered.

The poly type look a lot closer to the original. The link shows these poly type for the SBC, but they also have some for the BBC. The part numbers are the same for Pontiacs.

It's hard to imagine that no one makes exact replacement rubber for these.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  9:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ames makes both 2 core and 4 core sizes...they're tappered to fit in the shroud...if you look at the shroud shape where they go, tapered there too, shroud accepts the tapper. The 2 core are slightly less long than the 4 core. I have both in hand now.

ames:
P120BT
P120BR
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  3:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot all about the shroud. Ain't seen that thing in years. I found it in the attic with the insulators intact.

The little nubs are about to come off, but the rest of the rubber seems OK. However, they are not tapered. They are also very wide to accept the old four row radiator.

Dang, now I have three. Maybe I'll get lucky and the fourth one will pop up

I got the new radiator in today. Problem is, it's thicker at the core than a two core and more narrow than a four core. My first go round with these aluminum radiators.

Thanks CC. If you hadn't mentioned the shroud, I would still be lost. I knew something was missing. Now it's all coming together.

Edited by - Vanmor on 17 Mar 2012 01:38:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  7:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for the 2 core shroud to come in, then i'm going to modify the 2 core rubbers to fit snug, paint the tanks a gloss black, then put it in. Should be about right. It fits the 4 core shroud, but a little bit of gap between the face of the radiator and the sides of the shroud. I'd like it to be tighter.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  8:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmm.....

I didn't know there was a different shroud for the smaller radiator ?

I was thinking about painting my radiator too. But won't the paint cause the radiator to not cool as well ?

I've read that painting them black actually helps. Not sure what paint you could use on an aluminum radiator.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  9:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going to just primer it and paint it with the kimball midwest stuff i use the crap out of...sticks to EVERYTHING! I was just going to do the tanks though, not the fins as to not really affect cooling. The 3 core shroud is slightly less deep from front to back. Maybe an inch at most?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: