New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul
Cochise

USA
776 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  10:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been browsing ebay for radiator fan blades, there are many different styles of the 7 blade version. Blades with the corners cut from the back of the blade, the front of the blade, rounded edges ect. My question? does any of these different shaped blades serve any purpose other than design curiosity??

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1672 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  11:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on '70 fans some had three rivits and some four. My origional '70 fan had four. I just sold it for $125
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1672 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  12:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll suggest noise reduction is involved.....

From a Physics Forum:
"Do realize that fan shape is an extremely active area of research. We are always looking for ways to tweak our fan blade designs to achieve exactly what you are asking about. In regards to noise, the tip geometry is pretty much king. That's where you are sure to go supersonic and that is where the noise is generated."

Interesting comments regarding fan blade angle:
http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/57359/Radiator-fan-blade-angle

And some referance to blade tips:

a) a portion of each blade tip is shaped to conform to the flared inlet of the shroud barrel;
b) the radius of the blade tip at the upstream end of the conforming portion is greater than the radius of the blade tip at the downstream end of the conforming portion;
http://www.google.com/patents/about/6595744_Automotive_fan_assembly_with_fla.html?id=WC0NAAAAEBAJ
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  12:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rounded edges and offset blades will be the quietest, even on a flex fan, but i would suspect more so on a clutch fan as it isn't spinning at 100% of the speed of the waterpump.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cochise

USA
776 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  4:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve,
Good info thanks. The second reference is funny Or I should say, the Said reference of said fan in regards to the said post of said question Ha Ha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: