New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  11:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to paint my dash a flat black. What paint do you guys use. I'm thinking of using a spray can of Por 15 Chassis black.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/sam1437x.jpg/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Edited by - clintww on 08 Jan 2012 11:58:06 AM

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  12:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you use POR15, it will be durable, that's for sure. Is there a covering over it after that or is it just bare? I wouldn't hesitate to use POR15 if it's covered. I might want something smoother if it's bare.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Por 15 Chassis spray is the topcoat for the rust converter. I wish you could still buy the laquer spray paint. I would like it to be smooth, not the heavy enamel look.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  2:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
beleive it or not, my father in law is a body man and has sprayed stuff like this with rustoleum in the pint, through a cheap gun. He did a gloss black on a piece that looked amazing, and the stuff is durable...i would just imagine you could go with their semi-gloss instead of gloss.

I like por15, but i haven't been good enough at getting it to lay smooth and shiny. Again, my FIL could, using their gloss and their thinner. Looked like glass.

Do a small part with the por15 and see if you like it. I've also used kimball midwests pro line of paint product (that has extra paint solids in it) and it lays great and has proven durable on firewalls, etc for me.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  8:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Rustoleum paint also. I painted my golf cart with it last winter. The dash metal is suppose to be a flat black. No gloss at all. Year one use to sell a premix laquer paint in a spray can. What are guys using on the steering columns?? Should be the same. The old paints would give color but not show any build up like enamel will. Even smooth enamel doesn't look the same.
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  10:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used Eastwood Ceramic 2k Satin Chassis Black on mine. I like the way it turned out.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  7:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2012 :  04:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clint,

I know this is an old post, but how did your dash turn out?

I need to paint mine, but need more of a gold/tan color.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  9:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up using SEM flat back on the dash and column. It is difficult to spray, but looks very smooth if done right. No enamel build up. I then put the windsheild in and gun sprayed the firewall and frame with Rustoleum and acetone. That turned out really nice for the small investment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: