New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  11:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting ready to place a large order for parts needed. It seems PY may be a little cheaper on most items..But price may not be the most important issue.

Not trying to get anyone in trouble (Mainly Bill), but who do you guys buy from?? No bashing here, just thumbs up or down please.

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  11:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have bought from both. I also ask before I buy where the parts are made.

I bought a trailer jack from northern tools they told me it was made in the USA. I sent it back because it said made in china. They did recent me one that was made in the USA for the same price.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  12:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost never buy from year one, tilt steering column was like double with them. Buy a lot from ames, inline tube, and the parts place
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  06:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ames has always done me right. They also have things that others don't.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  06:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't say I've had a poor experience with PY, Year One or Ames. I've had equal success with Paddock and Classic industries. All have provided decent customer service and the parts supplied was what was ordered. Prices were competitive with one another too.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW
A couple years ago when I ordered my chrome exhaust tips from PY, I entered the order for 2 not realizing that they were sold in pairs.
I received a phone call from PY asking if I really wanted two pairs. Of course I didn't and was very appreciative of them taking the extra effort to contact me before shipping them.

Now that's customer service. A lot of other suppliers might have just went ahead and sent me the double order.

Saved me some money on returning the extra pair.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  07:24:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bought from Ames and Classic Industries.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  08:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've bought from Ames, never a problem. I've also purchased from the National Parts Depot with no problems and great customer service. I've not purchased from the other companies.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  7:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christ

I have bought from both. I also ask before I buy where the parts are made.

I bought a trailer jack from northern tools they told me it was made in the USA. I sent it back because it said made in china. They did recent me one that was made in the USA for the same price.

I like your thinking here. Have you found one of the suppliers having more USA product?

Edited by - clintww on 20 Dec 2011 7:07:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

spiders1010
Buffalo

89 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually use Original Parts Group

1970 Tempest 455 4sp.

Block bored .30 over, decked 10, magnafluxed and honed. #15 heads ported and polished. Summit 2802 cam. Hooker Hedders, Chambered exhaust. Auburn posi, 3:73 gears. M21-4sp. 1.65 roller rockers. Quadrajet.

NEEDS MORE POWER
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  10:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiders1010

I usually use Original Parts Group

It a hit or miss thing. Just have to call and ask if it manufactured in the USA if not I do not buy it.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  10:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too have been on a large order rampage. All brakes and fuel line related stuff, plus brackets and other items i get from inline tube: decent shipping, here within two days, nice guys, and all of their stuff has fit perfectly, no messing around or adapting things. They have weird stuff like backdrive linkage kits, valance mounting kits, odd brackets no one else makes, etc.

the parts place has some things others don't, like the different 455 only frame brackets that you would use with 455 only motor mounts. They also carry mitymounts. Also, they have good prices on things like clutch forks and boots that others make a killing on.

Pontiac specialty stuff i get off of ames or py, especially ames because i like their web interface for parts research, and they show if something for 68-72 will or won't really fit my 71 as a drop in.

I know people love year one (And right now they're having like a 30% off sale) but a lot of these guys get parts from the same place, but the prices can be wildly different:

Tilt steering column, 71-72 floor shift:

Ames: $359
YO: $789

Clutch fork:
Ames: $21
YO: $42

68-72 clutch upper pushrod:
Ames: $30
YO: $50

Clutch bellhousing pivot ball:
Ames: $12
YO: $17

Clutch fork boot:
Ames: $13
YO: $19

Now, i'm sure there are parts ames has for more, but when it comes to year one, everytime i quote parts for part of my project, it's always so much more that 10 or 20 percent off for a sale doesn't even match ames or PY everyday price.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2011 :  7:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys

Some of you provided company names I have either forgot or never new. I will have to check more.
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  2:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am often surpriseed at the parts that are available at the local NAPA and even Autozone, O'Reilys, and Advance Auto Parts (most chassis, front end, brakes, belts, hoses, new gas tanks, etc.) stores. I have used all of the places mentioned above, plus Kanter auto parts and California Pontiac Restoration. too. Steele Rubber is good for rubber parts. I also have picked up some very good parts at great prices from the classified in Smoke Signals magazine.
Go to Top of Page

spiders1010
Buffalo

89 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  4:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been to NAPA (Need A Part A*&&%$@) in years, kinda forgot about them actually, I used to get all kinds of goodies for my toys there.

1970 Tempest 455 4sp.

Block bored .30 over, decked 10, magnafluxed and honed. #15 heads ported and polished. Summit 2802 cam. Hooker Hedders, Chambered exhaust. Auburn posi, 3:73 gears. M21-4sp. 1.65 roller rockers. Quadrajet.

NEEDS MORE POWER
Go to Top of Page

spiders1010
Buffalo

89 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2011 :  4:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
huh, I guess you can't curse here, good to know.

1970 Tempest 455 4sp.

NEEDS MORE POWER
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2011 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My local Napa has a bunch of young kids working with s@%t for brains.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 23 Dec 2011 10:46:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  06:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NAPA used to be a professional parts store. Not so anymore. We have nothing but issues with them. Poor quality, wrong parts, poor service, etc.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2011 :  2:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with a lot of the comments. I tend to check thepartsplaceinc first because in general, I think their prices are better. I know at least once in the past I bought something from a different source, at a higher price, only to have it arrive and find "the parts place inc" stamped on the back of it - duh. However, they're not "the best" when you need to speak with someone knowledgable. I like the customer service at Ames, and also have a high opinion of Inline Tube. The folks at Ram Air Restorations too will generally take the time to talk with you on the phone when you have a question. I think OPGI's prices are out of line with their level quality and I find it difficult to locate parts on their web site. A search for me usually either turns up no hits at all or a gazillion hits, most of which have no discernible relationship to the search argument I used. Also when I've called them with questions I've usually just had someone read the online description back to me. I didn't get the feeling the person actually knew anything.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  08:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My local Napa store is pretty much the same as it was in 1980. In fact, one of the guys is still there. I bought paint from him to shoot my wife's Volvo. {I should have used an RPG, that car was a lemon.] The guys are quite knowledgeable and don't look in a computer for parts or numbers. They still use books or simply go to the part you need. I guess it depends on location.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  09:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It all depends on the Napa and if it a franchise or not. The one owner in town here owns both Napa auto parts store he even has stuff for my 1969 bird. Some of the newer areas I have noticed don't even carry the older stuff.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  10:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The local one here that's a napa will usually stock stuff if you frequent (so does our local advanced) they both keep a set of rubber valve cover gaskets in stock for me in addition to some other pontiac stuff that i'm always coming in to get that doesn't cross exchange with something else.

Napa also has great catalogs for oddball parts that you can't get at all somewhere else, like parts for OMC and mercruiser outdrives and the motors attached, etc.
Go to Top of Page

spiders1010
Buffalo

89 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  12:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, maybee I need to do more research before buying, seems I may have overpaid for some things...

1970 Tempest 455 4sp.

NEEDS MORE POWER
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  06:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Napa store manager drivers a 68 Firebird and the other guy has a hotrod 32 Ford and they are geezers just like me. They play old rock and roll and the blues on the radio in the store. They also have a garage and do service work. Not the average store I expect. They have a ton of Holley carb parts too.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  08:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree, it depends on the NAPA store. The one I frequent is old school with REAL counter guys that I have seen in there for what seems to be 30 or so years. Have had good results with PY for specific Pontiac stuff, Year One must think they are providing stuff exclusively for Barret Jackson resto's (LOL), and Ames stabbed me in the back with a big jagged dagger, then twisted it even though I was a longtime customer. Recently I was told they changed hands a few years ago and if that is the case, I may give them a try someday in the future after the scars have completely healed on my back.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

JoshuaD
Tribal Scout

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll definitely be purchasing from Ames as it seems their prices are more competetive. I bought a hood latch assembly from Year One and it cost me about $85 with shipping. A lot more than what I wanted to spend.

Also, has anybody ever bought anything from Frank's Pontiac Parts?

1969 Custom S - My freedom rides on four wheels.

Edited by - JoshuaD on 10 Jan 2012 01:18:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2012 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Franks Pontiac is ok. Make sure you check the classified section of Smoke Signals every month. (Pontiac Oakland Club magazine)
The private owners are usually pretty good to deal with if you can find what you need. You can also put in parts wanted ads for free if you are a member.
Go to Top of Page

torqueymonster
Cochise

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  3:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If just looking for non-specialty parts, try rockauto. wonderful prices, fast shipping...
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  7:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been having good luck with Ames so far. The tech people aren't to sharp though. I hate it when they will swear up and down that they're right, only to find out they're wrong. I ordered an engine harness for my 70 GTO and wanted to know if it had the external regulator wiring. They told me 69 was the last year for the fire mounted reg. The harness I got is set up for the external reg. All he would have had to do was go to the shelf and look.

The one order I placed with PY was put on backorder after they told me they had everything and it would ship in a day. Now they say March. Glad I'm not in a hurry for it.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had same back order issue with PY. Have spent a lot at Ames and Inline Tube in the last couple months, and from both places all has been as they said it would have been.
Go to Top of Page

pont69lemans
Tribal Scout

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  11:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is PY ?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  11:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Performance Years.
Go to Top of Page

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  08:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have purchased from all the companies listed. Got good and bad. I purchased a formula steering wheel from Ames. $100 Cheaper than Year One. It was a junk LaCrarrea.When I autocrossed the wheel bent at the spokes and broke. Not with the Year One wheel. Shows you get what you pay for. Not all more expensive parts at Year One are the same.Do your research and ask people who sells the best part looking for.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  11:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only people i've seen with out of line prices really is OPGI. Year One, some things were a lot pricer, and it was the same exact item. Like, how different could a gm factory remain steering wheel be? What could you do to make it $400 better than someone elses excellent reman job?

But you do usually get what you pay for, i still compare prices between all three and then ebay. A lot of guys don't like ebay, but i got a whole front end steering kit from southwest speed for $200 that would have been more through those guys or summit. I would have never found them if it wasn't for ebay.

(kit being pitman arm, nut and washer, drag link, idler arm, inner and out tie rods both sides, and adjustment sleeves both sides, shipped.)
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, i see reman steering boxes, fast ratio, delco, for our cars for a tad over $150 (including $50 core) on ebay. PY wants $245 for 3 turns lock to lock (+60 bucks for 2.5 turns) and ames wants $275 plus 75 core charge. Maybe there's a quality difference there but in remaning steering boxes, i really doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  11:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NSP88277060_0333148029

And napa is $115 (not including core which makes it $200) AND has a whole hose of other tips listed for flushing, adjusting, testing, etc.

I think a lot of vendors mark up prices just because they're a pontiac place and they already know what off the shelf bearing or pump or whatnot fits our cars.
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the blog too much. Keep working on it.
http://www.kinddress.com/robe-de-bal.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: