New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

torqueymonster
Cochise

USA
524 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  1:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting the TA painted this fall or spring-- found a shop /guy I trust, and am wondering what to do about window trim... car was silver from factory, and came with the "brightwork" around the back window and along back of hood and along top of door. When I got the car, it was "Bandited". Black with gold graphics, but no pinstriping. I'd like to leave most, if not asll graphics off, but the brightwork seems to go against what I'm gong for... Any suggestions?

TM

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you are going for the blacked out window trim again or back to polished stainless steel?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  4:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a few thoughts on the trim based on my own experience.

My 1979 Nocturne Blue (#29) Trans Am came with black trim around the front and rear windows. That was the only trim. What I discovered was that it was chrome trim painted black. After 3, maybe 4 years, the sun had totally dried out this paint and small flakes of paint were falling off. This was due to normal wear and tear which included occasional bird crap and bug splatter. The flaking took place on the windshield molding. I countered this by tapping off the trim hitting it with black primer and spraying it all again with a black enamel spray paint.

Repairs and touch-up were not uncommon, for years.

The crazy thing about this was that the chrome underneath was bright chrome. It was not treated or etched to acccept and hold paint.

When I repainted the car in '92'-93. The trim was removed, scuffed and painted with primer and black paint. It held up fine until moving back to Florida in 2003. It was waxed just like the car body and held up pretty well.

Today, I would probably opt to have it repainted again or powder coated black. My car, in my eyes, would look wrong with chrome trim.

As for the graphics--I had the golden bird graphics on it with matching TA 6.6 and Trans Am on each side and on the rear spoiler. On the repaint, I could not bear to put any graphics back on as I spent so much physical time stripping the bird off the hood. The hood was beautifully painted. If I had put the graphics on then I'd be faced with the same chore today (or a paint shop would) in order to refinish the exterior, which the TA needs badly.

So, there you have my personal experience.

My choice today would be to powder coat the trim if possible and at my age, probably have the original graphics package reapplied because of my desire to have it look like new again. ( I hope to score high at future car shows.)

[The photos below show the car in better "appearance" days.]

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 03 Aug 2011 4:17:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the black trim as well. I also like the gold bird and gold lettering maybe just hold off on stripes.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Conrad---Just curious--what is the condition of your windshield? Do you still have a good blue color band tint across the top section? Mine is washed out and turning brownish. I will replace it when the time comes.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  2:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill my windshiled was replaced 12 years ago. Had a very long crack in it.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: