New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

russosborne
Sitting Bull

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  7:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been thinking about this. I will not have a radiator support to contend with, so the only restrictions are the width of the front frame rails, and the height(wnat to keep it at or below where a stock radiator is).
Other than the "oh my god it isn't a Pontiac" reaction, what about using something like the Lincoln mkVIII radiator. I plan on using the electric fan from that car anyway, thinking I could make it easier on myself and get the whole thing and maybe even a bigger radiator. Obviously I wouldn't do it with a radiator that is smaller than the stock Lemans one. So if the Mk VIII is too small, I would find something else.
I do know that I want to keep the position of the inlet and outlet the same, which I will have to see what the MkVIII has. I am not set on using the MkVIII radiator, but it would be easier if I can. Will be doing some shopping at a pick a part in a few weeks, taking a tape measure with me.

My plan is to run some angle steel at the bottom of the frame rails, attached like the stock support with the bushings. Then get a piece of channel aluminum that fits between the rails and have it attached to the angle.

For any who don't know(probably all of you ) I am going with a one piece fiberglass front end that will tilt and be removable also. Hence the no radiator support. Plus my support is rusted away, couldn't use it if I wanted to.

Am I totally wonky here?

Thanks,
Russ

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  7:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, I would definately get the whole assembly and transplant it as a unit. Should clean things up a bit. The whole "its not a Pontiac" reaction is typically a response to a non-Pontiac engine. Beyond that, build it whatever way you want. I get excited when I see a Pontiac engine but not when I see a radiator.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  8:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone wedged a crossflow aluminum radiator in my 71 with some rubber pads, its snug as a bug. The bolts going through the shroud from the top keep it from moving at all. I have a spare one almost the same size i got at a scratch and dent.

Using stock upper hose, flexi bottom hose (couldn't use stock because of where aftermarket AC belt runs, it would rub the stock hose.)

I don't know how close to the rails it is, but i could take a pic for you if you're interested to see how it fits. It may or may not apply to what you're up to because of your fiberglass nose.
Go to Top of Page

russosborne
Sitting Bull

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  9:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but I am going to have to stick with stuff I can get really cheap. Someday I may be able to move up to fancy stuff like aluminum radiators. :-)
There is a pull-a-part in Akron, and another in Canton, plus the 2 in Cleveland. Their prices are in my budget. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.
Russ
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  10:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my spare radiator is for sale for cheap! Keep forgeting you're local, come by in howland and see how the radiator is fit in the 71, and you can check out the spare. The motors out so you can get a real good look on what's going on.
Go to Top of Page

russosborne
Sitting Bull

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  11:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to come by to meet you and see your car.
How cheap is cheap?
Not that I have any money right now, wife spent well over $1,000 on a road trip, but it was to see her first grandkid, so no bad thoughts. Just going to have to wait til after Norwalk. I hate waiting. :-)
Russ
Go to Top of Page

russosborne
Sitting Bull

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2011 :  11:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw the price, forgot you had a classified ad on here.
Just a tad out of my range. :-(
Russ
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2011 :  08:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it's sitting here and i'd take a bit less for it, it'll be in the garage until the swap meet in canfield come this fall i'm sure.

I think i can visualize what you're saying with the angle brackets, and i think it'd work no problem. The trick is, like you said, finding the best fitting radiator. I don't even see any good sites that list size info on google!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: