New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr.Pontiac
Sitting Bull

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  8:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sticking up about 1/2 inch cannot get hood down along cowl, any ideas on a step by step procedure please.

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  9:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yessir. There should be slots in the hinges where the bolts that mount them to the fender are. Try "lowering" the whole hinge on those slots, or "rocking" the hinge using those same slots so that it's lower in the back than in the front. It's definitely a trial and error procedure - go slow and make small changes.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2011 :  10:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you push the rear of the hood down to the proper level after it is closed?
If you can the hinges are probably "sprung". You need new hinges,or just push em down by hand. If it is the adjustment,do what Bear suggests.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  08:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful. it is easy to kink the corners of your hood and ruin it. Make sure the hinges are lubed up really well too. I use Tri-Flow lube. You can get it at lock shops and gun stores. It leaves a dry film of teflon that lasts for years.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto what they said.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  11:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny as it may seem, hood springs hold the hood up - and down. I have a '67 also and after trying several alignment adjustments I figured I'd just have to live with the hood sticking up by the cowl. Luckily - not so! A trusted shop tipped me off it was the hood springs losing thier strength after 45 years of opening and closing.

Try replacing the springs, but close carefully the first time to make sure those adjustments you've tried wont cause any interference. Try the ones from YearOne as the OPGI's version seem to be on the weak side. I think you'll be happy with the results.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: