Heater hose
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwest
Tribal Scout

33 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  08:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 77 trans am with a 400. Does anyone have a trick on how to change the heater hose that disappears below the firewall? It looks like I have to remove the inner fender, and I don't want to do that.

Thanks, Don

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2011 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I had to do. I took the bolts out and shifted the inner fender enough to gain access to the hose. Not that difficult. Good luck.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page

dwest
Tribal Scout

33 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  08:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll do that
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in my garage days, F cars were commonplace and typically the bolts were rusted and seized at the front of the wheel well. So we would cut an access hole to do the hose swap and then make a simple sheetmetal cover plate and attach with a couple of small sheet metal screws. Paint it black and it's un-noticable but there the next time you need it.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  10:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hah!

In most S-10s, Astro vans, etc. with the 4.3 the fuel pump seems to go pretty decently...it's not uncommon to see a square "U" shaped cut in the floor of an astro van or the bed of an S-10 allowing you to get right to the pump without dropping the rusty gas tank straps/bolts or taking the bed off. Mines one of them. I just tack welded it back down when i was done, and put a healthy bead of RTV over it.

That astro access hole and the Fbody access hole prove that the factory didn't get everything perfectly all right....cars need to be designed for service a little more!
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  5:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used Phil's trick on my Dad's old 65 Catalina back in the early 70s. I need to put a heater fan in my Bonneville but I ain't cutting my inner fender up. I'll have to take it off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: