Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  2:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know many people on this forum are fans of CompCams, and I don't care to get into any "brand" debates. I have done a lot of research on cams and many different brands...which brings me to my question: Has any one used the Lunati Voodoo grind cams, specifically the 60902? I know all about who designed the Voodoo lobes and the Ultradyne lobes and what the differences are...also a subject I will not debate. I just need someone to tell me how they feel about this cam from their own first hand use. I would be using it in a 389 with stock heads and intake, headers, 2 1/2" exhaust, 750 Holley, 3.42 or 3.55 gears w/4-speed and CR of approx. 9.3:1. I obviously don't want or need a very wild cam, my motor couldn't utilize anything too wild anyway. I want good streetability with great low to mid range torgue...I will never be taking it over 5000 or 5200RPM. Thanks, David389.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4261 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  3:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I know all about who designed the Voodoo lobes and the Ultradyne lobes and what the differences are...also a subject I will not debate"

You likely have more info on this cam than anyone here already if that's all true. I don't get the impression that people here and brand snobs. Some here recommend comp cams because they've had good luck with them, not because they've had bad luck with other brands.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  5:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry you seem to be offended by my statements cortcomp, it certainly is not my intent. I was just purely stating a fact that many people on this forum are fond of CompCams, and maybe they should be, I never said they shouldn't be, I actually have nothing against CompCams at all, I just stated I don't care to debate brands. So please don't read more into my atatements than what I've stated., no need to be so defensive or touchy. I also didn't ask for "info" on this cam as you stated. I asked for someone to pipe in with some first hand experience with this or other Voodoo cams., if nobody ends up doing that...so be it. I really don't appreciate your attitude towards my sincere and simple statements and question. I'm hoping you are just having a bad day and really didn't mean to welcome me to this forum this way.
Go to Top of Page

ledhed76
Cochise

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  7:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whoah guy....
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  7:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't see any attitude in that response, merely your quote and the fact that It seems you have done the research. I don't know of anyone offhand running one but I'm sure there are. I have no idea who you are but it seems like you took the attitude from a simple response.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  7:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, his response did take an attitude unnecessarily...he was defensive and you know it. I can tell this forum is very cliqueish and obviously not for new people with normal observations, comments and questions. Forget the whole thing, I'm out of here, I refuse to waste my time argueing with defensive, touchy individuals. I just made simple comments that were obviously taken the completely wrong way by people that seem to have a chip on their shoulder. I have had absolutely no problem on any other forums with any of my comments. Have a nice time with yourselves on this forum...and thanks again for the nice warm welcome.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1404 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  7:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait.... there's a clique?

You guys been meeting behind my back?

Seriously, I'm 100 percent sure cortcomp's post has 0.0 worth of attitude.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4261 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  7:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If there's a clique where everyone eats their lunch at the cool table, count me in!

I wasn't throwing attitude, just saying we're not all over comp cams just because they're that brand, we like what they do. It's not like chevy vs ford where we like a product because of it's brand, we like it because of it's merits. I was just saying WHY it seems like this is a comp cams board, because we have a lot of them out there. If you know or know about the person who actually engineered that and ultradyne cams, hey, how are we going to add to that?

I was looking forward to some input here as well, the lunati was actually on the table as one of the non-comp cams i was considering for the 455.

Lastly, if you have never had absolutely any problem with any other forums, why did you start with the preamble "don't care to get into brand debates" and the bit about not debating the lobes? I'm betting you signed up on another forum, threw an idea out there and got crapped on. Happened to me when i started my 50 chevy project at a chevy board and announced a 455 pontiac was getting put in.

You'll find that the reason most of us are here is because we hate those boards. There are those of us that like certain brands of different parts, but everyone is usually treated with respect and there are different opinions without a ton of attitude.

I didn't comment on anything past the part about why a lot of us run comp cams because i haven't run a lunati cam, so i couldn't actually comment on your question.
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  8:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked at the lunati voodoo 60902. The specs look pretty good for a street build, doesnt sound to friendly for stock springs, wich will add to the cost, the cam card on the web page it was on, was for a slant 6 dodge so it dindt help me choose there cam.
Heard a lot about them but with bad info its tough to decide. Like was said before not a brand thing, for me its a matter of having the right product info , and a product that fits the budget.
Actually if iskendarian made a grind that was comparable I would have looked into that a little more.
summit has a grind that is also comparable to the xe 262.it is a few bucks less.
I am sure there are differences in them and the lunati. I would like to hear what they are since you know. I might change my mind if I am better informed. I dont like making ill informed decisions.

Edited by - Latech on 15 Apr 2011 8:18:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2011 :  8:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear a Voodoo is faster than a speeding Bullet

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27186

And on the subject a Comp XE262H and Voodoo 60902 .....

"IMHO,I'd choose the voodoo,because Harold B. (that cams designer) really knows how to design the closing side of the lobe to avoid valve bounce (and thus no "noisy" cams).
Harold's cams typically have opening & closing rates very close to that of OE cams,yet the rest of the lobe is strictly business.
That's the beauty of asymmetric cam lobes."

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617630&highlight=Voodoo+60902

Edited by - Steve C. on 15 Apr 2011 8:57:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  06:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason I've stayed here is the lack of the "mines bigger than yours" attitude found elsewhere. The guys here are the best, period. You can disagree and sit there and be wrong if you want, but it sure seems you came in the room with an attitude.

Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
654 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  12:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree that Cort wasn't in any way antagonizing in his response. This whole board is a clique, that is everyone who's running Pontiac power in their ride. As a new member you're pretty bossy, your not the moderator. Anyone has the right to comment an opinion on any thread regardless of their experience or knowledge.

I running the largest cam from the Voodoo lineup in my 455 that's yet to be fired up. Alot of us have run Comp's products because many well respected engine builders swear by 'em and us hobbist's have great results to show for it. FWIW

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  2:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the 60902 lunati and the XE 262 as a comparison here is what I am seeing.
1: the intake valve closing angle is way different, raising the dyanamic compression on the lunati vs. the comp when calculating for any build. It can be a good thing if you cant mill too much from your heads anyhow. where as the xe 262 has an intake valve closing angle of 57 *abdc and the lunati 60902 has an angle of 37.5 abdc, now that is assuming the cam card posted on there site is for a pontiac engine and not a slant 6 like it says.IDK
Point is is that it the two would require different chamber size to get the static/dynamic ratios correct to run pump gas.
2: stock springs ( I have been told will work ) will work on the XE 262 but the lift on the lunati is .489. A little over anything recommended for stock, so now the cost goes up for springs, and if the retainers and keepers wont fit, then keep adding... IDK
3: There is a 2 degree difference in the LSA between the 2 cams, not that it would be the most critical of things, But it pushes the start of the power band up a few hundred rpms. With a stock converter (as I am running) for the street this is a disadvantage as you need the power from a just off idle rpm say 1000 through 5200-5500.I have forged pistons and rods so 5500 is a do-able thing for me.Just not necessary to go where I am going.The sooner the torque comes on the faster you get to 60 feet.

I would not like anyone to take sides here , as I am not nor do I wish to. I would like to see david 389 come back and point out anything I am wrong about, and enlighten me/us about the lunati cam.
I am at the a crossroad point in my build . I could run the lunati or the XE 262.
One thing I could really like clarification on is the intake valve closing angle as 37.5 for the 60902 is way different than the 57 that the xe262 is designed with. That would be my major concern as I about to have my heads milled to accomodate the xe262 to end up at 9.46 static and 8.11 to 1 dynamic. with the intake closing angle and my heads milled to accomodate the xe262 , if I were to install the 60902, the dynamic would be way too high.using the heads allready(they are not yet but soon)milled for the xe262 with the 60902 would be a detontion disaster.
It would be nice if some testing were to come out of this.Trouble is with the difference in intake closing angle (dynamic compression issues) being the big hurdle as far as running the same engine with two different cams to gauge performance...it is like comparing apples to oranges. Anybody else?

Edited by - Latech on 16 Apr 2011 2:57:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2241 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  3:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys,

A "click"? Naw... Just a bunch of folks that don't NEED to be in a click to enjoy others' ideas and input. We ALMOST had the problem, but Bill closed "the water cooler" in time, and the politics left the building.

David 389 was just looking for an arguement (I have no idea who he is or where he's from). There's a "site war" impending as one of the larger is "in decline" due to just that attitude, and others are cropping up, as well. Bill's site has ALWAYS been the MOST welcoming and "forgiving" site in the Pontiac "world". A whole lot less "I know more than you do! (nanananabooboo)..." Every now and then... And I personally owe Bill for allowing me to come here early in the site's "life", and expose myself (shut up, Phil!) to the Pontiac people "on the net". There are others, which seem to have either dropped out or moved on. Bill and I have become good friends over the years, and so have I with MANY "members" here. And, to be perfectly honest, it hasn't been "bad for business" either! I owe the growth of CVMS in large part to the people here. I'm as busy as I've EVER been. In case I don't "say it enough", THANKS!! And I'm ALWAYS available for information, even if you DON'T buy anything... (:- But I haven't used any VooDOo cams. Chicagogoat, we'll need a complete opinion on how you like it. Track or dyno numbers wouldn't be a bad thing... But we WILL "take your word for it"!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  3:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Pbody. Thank you again for your response to my e mail.
I have to agree with you as well with your statement of coming here to learn how to do it right.This is a place to share what is great about Pontiac and not a chest puffing contest.
I do frequent another more general "hot rod" type sight but there are only a few guys that even own pontiacs , let alone know what to do with one. Lots of bickering and Nanananabooboo as you put it.
I try to enlighten guys and help where I can but I have gotten more of what I need right here on this site.
I am an ASE certified master auto tech by profession. I also am certified in L-1 advanced engine performance. Vehicle electronic systems of all kinds is where I do the best and enjoy the most.
I have built (assembled and installed) countless engines in my 29 years of work. Truth be known... I have a lot to learn.Thank you Bill and PSP for being here.(you to Mr Pbody)and guys

Edited by - Latech on 16 Apr 2011 3:21:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  3:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the specs the 60901 lunati looks closer to the xe262 in all respects except ...yes intake valve closing angle.
Actually it would be better for my build as I wouldnt need to shave much off my heads at all, and the lift is inside the .470 recommended for stocks springs and such. Hmmmmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  5:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind when comparing or discussing cam "A" to cam "B" that with any piticular "shelf" cam typicaly mentioned, it can always be changed to suit your needs.

Example, here it was mentioned the differance in LSA between the Comp XE grind and the Vooddo grind. Neither of those grinds specs are set in stone and can be easily altered with a custom cam. If you wanted the XE262H with a wider LSA it can be easily done, it takes a phone call and a custom order. Similar with the Voodoo cam mentioned here. You could call Lunati or Bullet Cams and have that same Voodoo/Ultradyne lobe changed from a 112 LSA to a 110LSA if desired.

Similar situation with exhaust lobes, Comp will typically use 6 degrres additional exhaust diration on their shelf cams. If you had a set of heads with a poor exhaust-to-intake flow ratio in conjunction with a less effeciant exhaust styetm installed on the car you might consider a custom cam made with additional exhaust duration.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Calculator for valve events.
Typically input is based on using seat duration or the advertised duration not .050 duration.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/cam-deg-calc.php

Note the timing events shown here for the Vooddo cam are based on .050" duration.
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1775

If interested you can compare the overlap between the two here:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/overlap-calc.php
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Latech, just curious if you are at a dealer or aftermarket. I too am an ASE master/L1 and it's good to have someone to bounce ideas off of for those head scratchers we all run into.

Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2011 :  6:58:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike mcarthur

Latech, just curious if you are at a dealer or aftermarket. I too am an ASE master/L1 and it's good to have someone to bounce ideas off of for those head scratchers we all run into.

I am at a small mom and pop garage these days.Havent been to the dealer in years. It is hard to keep up sometimes.
I miss having alldata as you know when it comes to description and operation of any said system on a car, alldata is king in my book. Shopkey...well ....momma said.
I did work at the manheim auto auction in manheim Pa a few years ago. I performed a lot of diagnostics while there. I loved that job.
I miss sale days. My department would get so many cool cars to drive like maserati,lotus,bmw,rolls,ferraris all over the place. We used to get all kinds of stuff from the dc area I believe, things like bimmers with bullet proof glass and such. Every day was good, allways something new.
My E mail (web mail) wich I do access at work to keep up is Lascantech@aol.com if you need to give a shout for anything. It is nice to have someone to bounce stuff off of .Keep in touch mike.
How is the GTO project going by the way?
Go to Top of Page

screamingchief
Tribal Scout

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  12:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Latech

Looking at the 60902 lunati and the XE 262 as a comparison here is what I am seeing.

1: the intake valve closing angle is way different, raising the dyanamic compression on the lunati vs. the comp when calculating for any build. It can be a good thing if you cant mill too much from your heads anyhow. where as the xe 262 has an intake valve closing angle of 57 *abdc and the lunati 60902 has an angle of 37.5 abdc, now that is assuming the cam card posted on there site is for a pontiac engine and not a slant 6 like it says.IDK
Point is is that it the two would require different chamber size to get the static/dynamic ratios correct to run pump gas.

3: There is a 2 degree difference in the LSA between the 2 cams, not that it would be the most critical of things, But it pushes the start of the power band up a few hundred rpms. With a stock converter (as I am running) for the street this is a disadvantage as you need the power from a just off idle rpm say 1000 through 5200-5500.I have forged pistons and rods so 5500 is a do-able thing for me.Just not necessary to go where I am going.The sooner the torque comes on the faster you get to 60 feet.

I would not like anyone to take sides here , as I am not nor do I wish to. I would like to see david 389 come back and point out anything I am wrong about, and enlighten me/us about the lunati cam.
I am at the a crossroad point in my build . I could run the lunati or the XE 262.
One thing I could really like clarification on is the intake valve closing angle as 37.5 for the 60902 is way different than the 57 that the xe262 is designed with. That would be my major concern as I about to have my heads milled to accomodate the xe262 to end up at 9.46 static and 8.11 to 1 dynamic. with the intake closing angle and my heads milled to accomodate the xe262 , if I were to install the 60902, the dynamic would be way too high.using the heads allready(they are not yet but soon)milled for the xe262 with the 60902 would be a detontion disaster.
It would be nice if some testing were to come out of this.Trouble is with the difference in intake closing angle (dynamic compression issues) being the big hurdle as far as running the same engine with two different cams to gauge performance...it is like comparing apples to oranges. Anybody else?

FYI: your comparing one cams seat events with the other cams events @ .050",so making any assumptions based on those two different sets of events would not be all that good an idea.

Here are the full specs for both cams being discussed.

Brand & part no.:Comp Cams #51-222-4
Grind & lobe no.: P XE-262H-10 Lobe No.s 5442/5201
Tappet type: Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Spec = intake/exhaust: (notes)
Adv.dur. = 262/270 (I/E split = 8) (Adv.dur. rated @ .006")
Dur. @ .050" = 218/224 (I/E split = 6)
Dur. @ .200"= 130/133 (I/E split = 3)
Lobe lift = .308"/.313"
Lift @ 1.5 rr. = .462"/.470"
LSA = 110 ICL = 106 ECL = 114

Advertised/seat events:
IO = 25 BTDC
IC = 57 ABDC
EO = 69 BBDC
EC = 21 ATDC
Total OL = 46

.050" events:
IO = 3 BTDC
IC = 35 ABDC
EO = 46 BBDC
EC = 2 BTDC
OL @ .050" = 1
-------------------------------------------------------------
Brand & part no.:Lunati VooDoo #60902
Grind & lobe no.: VD-PV8-262 ~ Lobe No.s VH32/VH33
Tappet type: Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Spec = intake/exhaust: (notes)
Adv.dur. = 262/268 (I/E split = 6) (Adv.dur. rated @ .006")
Dur. @ .050" = 219/227 (I/E split = 6)
Dur. @ .200"= 132/140 (I/E split = 8)
Lobe lift = .312"/.326"
Lift @ 1.5 rr. = .468"/.489"
LSA = 112 ICL = 108 ECL = 116

Advertised/seat events:
IO = 23 BTDC
IC = 59 ABDC
EO = 70 BBDC
EC = 18 ATDC
Total OL = 41

.050" events:
IO = 1.5 BTDC
IC = 37.5 ABDC
EO = 49.5 BBDC
EC = 2.5 BTDC
OL @ .050" = -1
---------------------------------------------------------------
So,looking at that detailed info,that #60902 VooDoo cam actually has the later IC event compared to the XE262 cam.

Though that's mostly due to the 108 intake centerline of that VooDoo cam more-so than the 112 LSA of the VooDoo cam vs. the 110 LSA of the XE cam.

If the VooDoo cam were also installed on a 106 intake centerline like the XE cam is,then the IC events would be exactly the same,seeing as they both have exactly the same advertised intake duration of 262.

So according to common DCR theory,both cams should give very nearly the same dynamic compression results.

As such both cams are pretty much the same in that respect,and should work in the roughly same types of engines.

And a 2 difference in the LSA and the ICL likely is'nt gonna shift around the power a whole bunch either,at least not enough to "make or break" a mild combo,especially not when one is using small'ish cams like these in them.

FWIW

Bret P.

Edited by - screamingchief on 17 Apr 2011 12:25:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  08:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that screaminchief. I guess the cam card on the lunati site was wrong.At least on the Intake closing event, wich is the one big question I was having. I have spent a bit of time getting my block prepped and its ready, and I have the heads at the machine shop for milling and BBC studs. I was liking the lunati for the quieter operation that people were talking about, but when I saw the cam card and it daid intake closing event at 37.5 *afterbdc I knew this would mess with my dynamic pretty bad from what I had planned on having with the heads I was going to use.Now that the mystery is cleared up I can choose either one if I like.
It seems like GOOD SOLID info can be a tough thing to get. Even the manufacturers cant get it right. I deal with it everyday at work also, so when I saw the stats and the fact that where the cam card said slant 6 and the IC event was at 37.5 I was sceptical.It did not occur to me that was a spec @.050 lift. It makes more sense now.The slant 6 thing threw me off though.
I really appreciate your time in clarification with all of this.I saw you over at another site and your posts looked to be very informative.I am glad you came to PSP.
Realize that I am using the cam cards online and I dont have actual specs @ .006 (well I do now anyway).Thanks again for taking time to clarify the situation , Glad to have you at PSP

Edited by - Latech on 17 Apr 2011 08:48:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh...buy the way, with a .489 lift(ex) (w/1.5rr) is that too much for a stock spring? I understand .470 is about all you want to go.Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
6330 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  11:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, you left your trench coat in the click room. ;)

"Chevy": even the name sounds cheap.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2011 :  12:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my post above I mentioned the Vooddoo timing events were at .050". And it states that on the cam card shown in the link.
Not a mistake, that's the way Lunati presented it. If you go to Comps site and look at their cam card it will state their valve events are based on seat timing (.006").
I'll admit it can be confusing.

And here is a serch finder for Crower cam cards, as noted they also present their timing events at .050". At least for their cam like the similar 60916 hyd flat tappet.
http://www.crower.com/cam-card-finder/

Edited by - Steve C. on 17 Apr 2011 12:41:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  1:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LaTech, a "kinda sorta" similar cam to those mentioned above is the Erson TQ40H which has .472" lift, fits the bill better for a stock spring, maybe a bit safer than the Lunati's .489".

http://www.american-automobile.com/Erson%20pontiac.pdf

Steve Tanzi at Erson is very helpful. I always like to call cam companies and discuss the project with a tech advisor as catalog information can be limited, incomplete or have typos (like Lunati's Slant 6 for Pontiacs). When I called Comp about my 51-314-4 RAIV variation, they said it actually has .483" lift (versus .481" in the catalog) and the advertised exhaust duration is 288 instead of the 280 listed.

I would love to see a non-biased street cam comparison specific to Pontiacs. Take the Comp XE262, Lunati 60902, Erson TQ40H, Summit 2801, Crower 60918 and other similar cams in the 218-220 @ .050 range, test them on a very common platform like a 9:1 compression 400 with non ported iron heads, on the dyno and on the 1/4 mile. Now *THAT* would be interesting. Anybody have lots of spare time and money on their hands?

Edited by - Vid on 22 Apr 2011 1:51:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
566 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  5:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will volunteer for track tester

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  8:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay cool now all we need is someone who can swap a Pontiac cam blindfolded and one donation cam from each cam grinder on the planet!
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  9:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seriously considering running the lunati 60902. talk is they are quieter. I did not realize that the comp cams xe 262 was noisy. I dont know if it is, but I am thinking of running the lunati, that way when I come across someone running the comp cams xe262 we have something to compare from.
they seem very comparable.my short block is ready and waiting for the cam so I am at that critical point of making a choice.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  01:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Xe262 is a popular cam on this forum and it has had a lot of success which is hard to argue with, *but* it is not the only Pontiac street cam on the market.

Lunati makes good stuff, my two cam experiences with them have been very good and their tech deparment is most helpful when consulting to choose a cam. My guess is you'll be pleased with the product.

I'd love to hear feedback from people who have actually tried a Voodoo cam in their Pontiac. I can't think of anyone on this forum who has actually installed a 60902 in their motor. Of course any cam that is described as a "torque monster" gets my attention, LOL

Would love to hear about how the idle sounds, how hard that cam pulls through the gears and how the rest of the valve train likes the cam over the long run.

One concern I have with the Xe262 (and probably the *only* concern) is that everyone seems to say the idle is quite smooth, almost like stock. Thats fine, but personally I like my cam to sound a little meaner than stock at a stoplight. Not knocking the 262 at all, I know it does amazing things once the accelerator is depressed

Is your 389 standard bore or oversize?

Edited by - Vid on 23 Apr 2011 01:39:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  08:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had it bored to 4.12 and used stock 400 pistons (forged sealed power) and a set of 5140 rods. Had it balanced, decked to .001
Crank was so good it polished at stock

I have 7H1 heads , found them with 1.77 ex valves (woo hoo)I am having BBC studs put in and having them shaved to 82 CC s . Should make a pretty sweet build.
My only concern is the .489 lift of the lunati. I understand anything over .470 may be a little tight, so I am still thinking about it.I realize its only .019 thou but....
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4261 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 262 is anything but stock. Haven't heard it run since getting the cam installed straight up vs the 5 degrees off it was, but it had a nice lope and a deep throaty sound. Not a stock exhaust on the car, but i don't know what brand the mufflers are.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve, you see, I may be getting confused about a "good" idle, and a "stock" idle. Several have described the cam as having a smooth idle, smooth to me means no lope or choppiness. Looking at the specs of the 262 on paper you figure it has to be a little lopey with 218@.050
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4261 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  3:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does have some lope and sounds great, but it still had 17 at idle if i recall. Again, this is all with that bunk timing set installed. We'll see what happens when i get the tranny back and fire it up.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2011 :  7:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So which cam did you go with?! Enquiring minds want to know!
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Forget the whole thing, I'm out of here..."
David 389

Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve C.

"Forget the whole thing, I'm out of here..."
David 389

Text is just that text man. You can't read more into what some one posts or make a evaluational of what they meant in respect. Know body here is having a bad day. And there are no clicks here for sure. If that was the case I would not be here at all. Plus if your going to post on any forum you have to be able to handle a little bashing which I do not see anyone given you here. I hope you return and at least read the knowledge of the folks here.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4261 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its a shame he left, this thread turned into a TON of info.
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  1:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he works for Lunati and he was planting the whole Idea here to see where it would go.
Thing is , its a subject worth talking about and yeah, it has been fun and informative.
I am leaning closer and closer to the Lunati for my ride.I need to order the cam and lifters and oil pump soon so I can button up the bottom, by then the heads will be back.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  7:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I Have several Comp cammed engines and am very happy with them. The 262 in the Goat sounds very similar to the old 068 I used to run. I always run Dynomax mufflers as well so my cars aren't that loud, just that nice muscle car sound that I like. No cliques here for sure, I wouldn't participate if there were. I did get bashed once, and it was by Christ many years ago, in fact, I don't remember what it was about. I view this site as a la carte, take what you want, leave the rest on the table.

Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  12:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
David already anounced his choice on another forium.

Now for a biased commercial shameful plug .......

http://www.bulletcams.com/

And given all the parameters involved doesn't mean the very knowledgeable crew at Bullet will always involve you wtih the 'DEMON" grind usind a narrow lobe separation
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
6330 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  1:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some people just don't get the concept of "dialog".

"Chevy": even the name sounds cheap.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  2:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what did he choose? This is the only forum I go to.

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  2:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Mike we are left wondering which cam he chose, and about the all important feedback on the cam after he gets it running.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1140 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve C.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"...Im going to try my luck with the vodoo 60903"

I suspect it is the same "Dave".

http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27285
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2011 :  11:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve. The 60902 is the grind that is a competitor to the XE262. The 60903 looks like fun for a higher compression stroker. I wish cam changes were as easy as jet changes, LOL
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  11:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vid

Thanks Steve. The 60902 is the grind that is a competitor to the XE262. The 60903 looks like fun for a higher compression stroker. I wish cam changes were as easy as jet changes, LOL

Beautiful car Vid.
Go to Top of Page

spiders1010
Buffalo

89 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  5:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what this guys deal was, I have felt nothing but welcomed, and have been very appreciative of all the information you guys have offered up to me since I have joined. I am glad I went with the GTO over the chevelle, I have always liked pontiac's styling, and the motor is a monster. I searched and read on alot of forums before joining this one, and I search no more, I come here, read old threads, and ask questions when I have them. I give what info I can when I feel pertinent, and I can only strive to one day be as knowledgable and respected as some of you guys here. We all gotta do our part to keep american muscle alive, yeah trash talking is fun, but when it comes down to it, its the cars, and love for them that brings us together. Just the other day I was cruising up to our favortine Ice cream place and a guy in a 71' challenger came up along side me, looked over and gave just a little wave. Kinda reminded me of my Harley days.

1970 Tempest 455 4sp.

Block bored .30 over, decked 10, magnafluxed and honed. #15 heads ported and polished. Summit 2802 cam. Hooker Hedders, Chambered exhaust. Auburn posi, 3:73 gears. M21-4sp. 1.65 roller rockers. Quadrajet.

NEEDS MORE POWER
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  06:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it and welcome aboard.

Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never did respond to this thread but I originally had a Voodoo in my Trans Am prior to my engine rebuild and I can honestly say that beyond all the specs and numbers, the comp cam has much more ooomph and sounds better (lope), etc. etc. I am running the XE262H currently. So, from a non-techy background I'd go with the XE262H.

Better late than never!

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2471 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  5:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no! Not the cam wars again.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: