New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I got my #140 heads back the other day and they look good. I can't say they look great because I can't see inside to see if they gave it a port and polish. I don't think they did. I was thinking of doing it myself for the fact the one of the combustion chambers has a few burrs in it I want to take down for pre-ignition purposes and to clean up the oil passages too. Question, where can I get a port and polish kit. I got some sanding cones, 5 piece 1/4" shank mounted stone set, and a 20 Piece 1/8" Shank Diamond Point Set. Will this work to do the port and polish? What else may I need? Lastly, I have run a thread chaser through all my passages and rockers studs. What is the torque for the studs and what should I use (oil, locktite)?
Thanks
Isaias

Serving in the good old USAF!

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  12:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any Comments?

Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  1:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

There are "do it yourself" porting kits advertised in Sunit and Jeg's. Get Jim Hand's book "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s". He describes a good street port there. Some good "dos and don'ts".

We torque studs at 65 lbs. A drop of oil is all that's needed.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  1:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. I do have Jims Handbook and upon futher inspection it looks like they have been ported berfore, all the oil passages have been opened up and the push rods holes have been elongated. I only have to clean up some burrs left by the surfacing machine that's within the combustion chamber and some flashing that's inside the head by the valve cover deck where it looks like they chipped and repaired it. Otherwise it is ready to be cleaned and painted. Last thing, where can I get a head stand? I know I can build one relatively cheap but time is of the essence and not to abundant these days. Thanks
Isaias

Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  1:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here are some pic's

Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2011 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lathered them up with WD-40 to keep the rust away. What to use to remove the WD-40 prior to paint? Denatured alchohol? Thanks
Isaias
one set is comp 1.52
othere is erson 1.65

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My doctor says when he puts on his rubber gloves it's for "one particular exam only", gulp! LOL

I use lacquer thinner to clean surfaces prior to painting or a product called "Prep-Sol" which is an excellent pre-paint degreaser used in body shops.

My #16 heads from 1969 look like they were ported when compared to a pair of '77 6X-8 heads I had. The runners inside the 16's were really smooth and clean while the 6X's casting felt very grainy and rough inside.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1066 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what all you are changing in your project,but those factory oil deflectors have been known to crack with higher lift. If they do they can leave chunks of metal in your engine. Just a heads up,you might want to look into this.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4010 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  3:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you stationed at Edwards?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Heddman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  6:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am at Edwards. Good guess Bill. I've been in the servie 13 yrs this August. I don't think I will have much to worry about with the oil deflectors. I am running a comp cam XE256H (212/218) and Comp Magnum rocker arm 1.52 ration. Total lift should be under .500" for sure. Thanks and if I am mistaken please let me know too.
Isaias

Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Cochise

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2011 :  02:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, those Comp rocker arms look familiar...

PSP Member since 1996

Never enough cubes...

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Edited by - Mark S. on 23 Apr 2011 02:14:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2011 :  7:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, long time. yes, i bet they look familiar. They look great too. Tanks again. I'm dying to get them all bolt in. Of course not much got done this weekend being easter and making it a family weekend.

Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1413 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  07:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
don't think I will have much to worry about with the oil deflectors. I am running a comp cam XE256H

From what I've read, the oil deflector issue was more due to the use of aftermarket springs. The aftermarket springs can be a larger OD than OEM and even though the deflectors fit the aftermarket springs they fail shortly afterwards.

High lifts were not the culprit for one fellow that had a deflector failure while running a Summit 2800 cam with new springs.
Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  11:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if these are after market springs or not. I know the heads were gone through by my machinest and he didn't say anything when I told him what cam I was going to run. Can they heads be ran without the deflectors, if so, is there anything special I have to do to make them work (ie. new retainers, keepers, new shims)? Thanks
Isaias

Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1413 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  2:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544043

Click on the above link.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  8:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That cam works just fine with stock springs, as long as they're in good condition. It's not really "suited" to ported heads, though. Very mild.

IMO, most of the failures (deflectors) are more from fatigue, not unlike the old windage trays. Ram Air III engines had them. I realize the lift is relatively low, and the springs are the 1.380" stockers, but one "pounded" on a Ram Air engine... I still used them on one with a Crane Fireball cam (circa '74) and 1.5s. I used 1.47" springs, and didn't have any issues. The deflectors were 4 years old. Of course, with "real" valve springs and taller valves, everything changes.

Been to Edwards a time or three. Used to street race in Victorville! Got smoked by a VW Beetle in Barstow one night. Turned out to be a 911S engine. Little thing was NASTY "light to light". Pop was in some things that had us "visiting" the area.

Thanks for serving.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  8:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to point out one thing that was over looked here in these pictures. Those screw in studs are bottoming out in the head. Check your thread depth in the head and then check your thread depth on the stud.

Most people assume they just screw them in till they stop. Double check them. I have found heads were the head is cracked in the inside due to over tighting trying to get the stud all the way in!
Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  12:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have those studs all the way in just finger tight. They were previously installed prior to the machining and they were all the way flush. Just went through three last night and cleaned them up and installed them to 600in-lb or 60ft-lb. No issues and were flush. ran a thread cleaner through all holes and studs. Installed them all hand tight with a little 5W-30w oil. spray them down with WD-40 until I get to paint and install. Thanks for looking out though.
Isaias
I had a type 34 ghia at one time with the 1500S and that thing could scream too. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by isaias_1

I don't have those studs all the way in just finger tight. They were previously installed prior to the machining and they were all the way flush. Just went through three last night and cleaned them up and installed them to 600in-lb or 60ft-lb. No issues and were flush. ran a thread cleaner through all holes and studs. Installed them all hand tight with a little 5W-30w oil. spray them down with WD-40 until I get to paint and install. Thanks for looking out though.
Isaias
I had a type 34 ghia at one time with the 1500S and that thing could scream too. LOL

Thats great news. I always like to be safe before assembly!
Go to Top of Page

isaias_1
Buffalo

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  3:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i do too after my cam debacle in Germany

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  4:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I was at a "street legal only" test n' tune the other night at Irwindale Dragway and the fastest car there was a surf green beetle. Ran one round real quick but blew it up leaving the line in the second round. So much for German Engineering, hahahahha
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1066 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2011 :  9:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vid

Jim, I was at a "street legal only" test n' tune the other night at Irwindale Dragway and the fastest car there was a surf green beetle. Ran one round real quick but blew it up leaving the line in the second round. So much for German Engineering, hahahahha

Vid,according to forum rules you can't go to the track ,and then NOT post your times. Please post times or I'm reporting this to Bill.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: