Interesting failure...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  6:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I thought I'd share this with ya'all (said with best billy-bob accent).

Last year, we freshened Rick Holladay's "old" 421 for the race season. It ran GREAT. Car has been 10.39(?) with it now. Pretty good for a 3,500 lb. ragtop/4-speed 434...

Well, it started getting water in the oil this Spring, when first brought out. Immediate thought is the same as the rest of you, "freeze" crack? Nope. Charlie (Rick's mechanic) put a pressure tester on the cooling system. It sat for three days with 18 lbs., no "change". Still, losing water in cyl #3.

So, I tore the heads off yesterday. Nothing "visual". Pressure tested the heads. Nothing. When pressure testing the block, ONLY with #3 all the way "down", did it appear. And NOT a crack, either.

This block is .060" over, and on it's "third life" at that bore size. There were actually pits leaking into the cylinder. The thing has rusted through rom the inside! This was "in line" with the pin, too, not the "thrust side". And after all this time... The only thing I can "figure" is the rust "grows" during the Winter, since the car sits with no water in it. As a "race" car, it's not allowed to use anti-freeze.

After 145 passes on this rotating assembly, the mains look new. Most of the rod bearings look new. A couple show a bit where the oil was "thinning out" from the water, and started deteriorating. Nothing BAD. We'll be polishing the crank to use in the next block.

The BIG deal here, is the filter. It completely collapsed inside. The water in the oil had a very bad reaction with the paper element, and it couldn't "filter" anymore. I'd heard of this before, but this is the first time I've actually SEEN it. (I have seen two Frams implode, but from poor quality, not water...)

Just sharing!

Jim

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing this info Jim. Not good news for the owner, but certainly good information for us. I wonder if running distilled water would be a better alternative than "tap" water.

Since tap water varies so much from place to place, and I've seen well water eat copper pipes in a couple of years!

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  8:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting and unfortunate occurrence Jim and yet another reason why people hate Fram oil filters. Yes it may seem "anal" but I've always mixed distilled water with anti-freeze in my 455. I know the importance of keeping corrosion and electrolosis to a minimum.

If I was only running water in a race engine, then it would be more practical to add some corrosion inhibitors with it since it gets drained all the time anyways.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  10:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

For clarity, the filter that "failed" was not a Fram (in this case). Ot was a Wix. BUT... I don't believe the filter was anything more than a victim.

I agree about rust protection. I advise it, but can't contro EVEYTHING... (:- This particular incident is a "fluke" IMO.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. P-Body

For clarity, the filter that "failed" was not a Fram (in this case). Ot was a Wix. BUT... I don't believe the filter was anything more than a victim.

I agree about rust protection. I advise it, but can't contro EVEYTHING... (:- This particular incident is a "fluke" IMO.

Jim

When I used to race we had a similiar problem. I would reccomend using anti freeeze in the winter for storage.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what i'm taking away from this is to not use an oil filter and put as much stop leak into the motor as possible. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  12:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...or just run a stainless steel block! ;-)

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q. What did the big firecracker say to the little firecracker?
http://www.coswatches.net/rolex-prince.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: