New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  3:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am considering replacing my two Flo-Pro mufflers. The dang things have gotten increasingly loud and raspy lately, almost like running open headers straight out to the tailpipes. I like loud, loud is good, but it is getting almost embarrassingly loud lately, it's not a "good" loud, it's a raspy loud. I think there is spun glass inside those mufflers that has blown out. It used to sound much better.

All the same, I don't want to spend the bucks on new mufflers and be too quiet. Looking for a nice, authoritative muscle car rumble at idle and low RPM, loud at high rpm is fine.

I've seen the on line reviews and comparisons, just wondering what people around here are using in the *real world* and how they like it.

We put a "Flowmaster knock off" on my sweetie's stock 326 LeMans, sounds good on her car but it's a bit too quiet for me.

My car has the RA III cast iron manifolds, 2.25" pipes front to back with a 3" H pipe (aka balance tube) setup spliced in.

Thanks! 'Vid

Latech
Cochise

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  4:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the 40 series flowmasters sound real good. Plenty of good sound and not raspy. The delta flows are pretty cool too.(antireversion design)
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  5:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Dynomax has won every muffler shoot out I have ever seen. We have the 3" version on the 474 'Bird. They aren't quiet, but they aren't too loud either. They are however significantly quieter than the Blowmasters.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  5:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Dynomax are on my radar, anyone tried Spintechs? My mopar neighbor swears by them.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  9:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So you want loud when you want it and quiet when you want it? If you're thinking what i'm thinking, might be time to recreate the humbler :-)

They're pricey, but i've been considering it. It's a unique mod done the way GM did it for 10 seconds back in the day:

http://www.waldronexhaust.com/drivercontrolledexhaust.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-Mode-DCE-mufflers-Street-Rod-Hot-Rod-Rat-Rod-NEW-/310164248672?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48373ad860#ht_1874wt_939

Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  10:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought Hooker mufflers and one of them broke loose inside and rattles like hell after only a thousand miles. Hooker (Holley) does not off any warranty. I had Flow Master 40s but upgraded to a bigger exhaust system and got the Hookers. I wish I would have bought Walkers. They make them about a mile from here.
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2011 :  11:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Latech Posted - 19 Feb 2011 : 4:16:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the 40 series flowmasters sound real good. Plenty of good sound and not raspy. The delta flows are pretty cool too.(antireversion design)

I love those too, I run 3" SS delta flow 40 ser that have held up great for over 5 summer's and never heard a negative comment about the sound or performance. They're still $100 a copy for 2 1/2" or 3". http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowmaster/Flowmaster-40-Series-Delta-Flow-Stainless-Mufflers/1030934/10002/-1

What about Borla, anyone run 'em? They're more expensive than the competitively priced Flowmasters or Dynomax's. If you talk to 10 guys they will swear by 6 or 8 different brands.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Cochise

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  03:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info here:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

I'll probably go the Dynomax route for my next set. I've got 3" 2 chamber Flows on the car now, and they are a bit loud for me these days.
They do sound good though! Very aggressive. I can set off car alarms with 'em!

PSP Member since 1996

Never enough cubes...

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  07:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've run the Dynomax on every car I've had since about the mid eighties. I've never had a bad one, in fact the ones on the wagon are 20 years old now and the ones on the GTO are about 15 years old. Great product for the money.

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  12:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Mike, a track record like that says a lot about a product. They must be made in the USA?
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  12:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cort, those are pretty sweet! Pricey yeah, I am looking to spend $69.50 each not $695.00 each, LOL Great idea though.

I'll think I'll go with Dynomax and maybe add some dumps for when "I'm getting some action".
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  5:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe they are made here, at least they were.

Go to Top of Page

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  8:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run a three chamber Flowmaster. Sounds good but a lot of drone inside the car. I will be switching to a Dynomax muffler this Summer.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page

spiders1010
Buffalo

89 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally like the crack and rumble of chambered mufflers, and I had side pipes on my 72' camaro 396 back in the day, that thing sounded awesome.

1970 Tempest 455 4sp.

Block bored .30 over, decked 10, magnafluxed and honed. #15 heads ported and polished. Summit 2802 cam. Hooker Hedders, Chambered exhaust. Auburn posi, 3:73 gears. M21-4sp. 1.65 roller rockers. Quadrajet.

NEEDS MORE POWER
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  12:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang! I started this thread 7 months ago and I still haven't dealt with my mufflers. The wheels of progress turn slow around here lately.

Funny how priorities change. Right now I am waiting on my carb to be finished, that is a couple of hundred bucks for installing the Cliff parts, then "blueprinting" and dyno tuning the finished product. Then, I am having a great old school local auto electric shop restore the turn signal harness on the steering column (turn signals, brake lights, emergency flasher and horn, none of which work at present), that is going to run about $300. Then the front end needs some attention like upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings and an alignment for about $500.

Yes, I could do most of this myself but I have even less "spare time" than money right now, so I am relying on others to help me get it done. It'll be faster in the long run, probably even better, and that is worth it to me. I am still doing my routine maintenance etc but I am temporarily farming out the "projects". I love working on my cars but for now it's kind of nice just to write a check and be done with it.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  12:46:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was looking at finding an old tilt column and cleaning it up and doing all that.

Then i saw ames had tilt column with new signal switch, horn, correct plug, keys, ignition installed. for $349. Last i checked they were like $600. Made me not want to do the work and just drop the new one in and sell the old on ebay or a swap meet.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  12:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, on mufflers, i want to get the rare usesys-1 (http://www.ramairrestoration.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_1&products_id=115) for the 71, but i have no idea if i should get spintechs or goerlich's or which model. I just know i want 2.25 out the back after the mufflers so i can use the dual chrome splitters that poke through the rear valance.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2011 :  11:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X2 on the Dynomax mufflers. I think Jim Hand runs them as well and has for years on his infamous wagon. They have been consistently good through the decades. Other brands have come and gone like magic spark plugs and snake oil additives.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2011 :  10:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I heard this strange "tick tick tick"ing from my motor last weekend, and I'm thinking it's a definite exhaust leak on the passenger's side of the motor. I check around the RAIII manifolds - no leaks, everything seems tight. Yet the sound persists... Hmmm.

Turns out the allen bolts on the choke stove cover plate (on the intake manifold for conversion to electric choke) were not even finger tight! Oops! I guess it's worth it to check these for tightness once in a while.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey! Any day you find a quick fix is a great day!
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  01:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, and I was worrying maybe one of my manifolds was cracked or something! Turns out only the owner is cracked, LOL
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1673 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2011 :  09:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dyno Max Ultra Flow Welded

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=ultraflowelded
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the Dynomax muffs are highly lauded here by many respected PSP members, but when I see the cutaway of the inside and all that fiberglass stuffing, it makes me a little nervous on how long they are going to last. Throwback to my teenage "Cherry Bomb" days I guess! Guys like Mike McArthur have gotten decades out of them, so there goes that theory.

Went to a big cruise event last weekend, one thing that bugged me with all the driving I was doing was the midrange droning on the interior. Got to be a bit annoying. If I go with the Dynomax or the Spintech's, I need some assurance that the interior droning will be reduced significantly. Does anyone know of a Db comparison on interior noise?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  1:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe it was in jim hands book, there was charts with several different muffler DB and performance comparisons. That chart is what has me leaning towards goerlich's when i get the RA complete system.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  7:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Goat and wagon have decades old Dynomax's and neither one drones in the cockpit. In fact, they are actually pretty quiet inside, with a nice muscle car burble outside. I've seen numerous car rags do muffler comparisons over the years. Perhaps a search of their sites could turn up something.

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2011 :  11:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Since Spintech is right in my local area, I am taking the wagon over to them. Going to keep the 2.25" system, add an X pipe and dual Spintech Sportsman 3000's. They rode with me to hear what is going on and worked from there.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/mufflers/street-mufflers/3000-sportsman-street-series/cat_175.html
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2011 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Let us know how you like them.
Go to Top of Page

medhat68
Tribal Scout

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  01:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit medhat68's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the 3" spintech Sportsman XL's. though not for the faint-hearted. here is a clip of the system on my car. good speakers and a sub helps :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvhYe8X0wkM
If you want to see the complete system I used on the car go to the bottom of this page. http://www3.telus.net/68bird/fuel_exhaust.htm
Ron at Spintech was great to deal with. If you have them right in your area, I would not hesitate. I had to have them shipped a long way...

Kelly
68Bird HT/455/4sp
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2011 :  09:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
followed the link, great looking car with some really nice work! Except that one shot with the orange filter poking out ;-)
Go to Top of Page

medhat68
Tribal Scout

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2011 :  11:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit medhat68's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the compliment. yeah, that orange filter was only on for the first engine break in. :-) I used to think they were good filters till I started reading more. I only use WIX filters now.

Kelly
68Bird HT/455/4sp
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  11:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Medhat, that car sounds devine

So those are the Sportsman XL's? The 3000 XL's are marketed as quieter than the regular 3000's, and those XL's sound plenty loud! Your big 3" pipes tend to make things a bit louder too.

When I talked to Spintech they suggested the regular 3000's, but I'm trying to quiet it down a bit because my Flo-Pro's are pretty aggessive sounding. I'll see if I can post a before and after video just for kicks...

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  9:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm getting ready to do the muffler swap and mention it to a few friends and family over the T'giving weekend, and all I hear is "No, no, don't change mufflers your car sounds awesome!" LOL

Ah, what to do, what to do.
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  05:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the life of yor mufflers depends a lot on how you drive. If you dont get the exhaust system hot enough you build up a lot of moisture. Cold start-ups in cool weather that don't allow the exhaust system to dry out will rust out all but stainless steel. I had a two mile drive to work at one job and I was going through a muffler on one side or the other every year. A 10 mile drive wil dry the system out. I never start my Pontiac in the winter unless I plan on driving for an half hour. My 97 ford truck has 170000 on the same stainless factory system and looks new.
Go to Top of Page

455 Formula
Sitting Bull

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vid

We put a "Flowmaster knock off" on my sweetie's stock 326 LeMans, sounds good on her car but it's a bit too quiet for me. Thanks!!!'Vid

I always thought the Flowmaster's were too loud.

I looked at a couple of different systems when I was exhaust shopping for my 1975 Formula. I ended up using the Flowmaster #42585 Crossflow, which fit really nice, despite being so oddball looking. What I like about the Flowmaster Crossflow is how quiet it is, compared to other crossflow systems I have listened too, and it has zero interior resonance.

It has a very hollow sound to it, reminiscent of Steve McQueen's Mustang in Bullitt...

You can really hear it clearly in high gear in this video with the window down, because the car is right next to the cement divider.

http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/10851Man/Videos/?action=view¤t=FirebirdonFreeway.mp4

Edited by - 455 Formula on 25 Jan 2012 3:54:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#42585 Not a good number

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

455 Formula
Sitting Bull

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a good number. Do a search on Summit...
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  4:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All i can find is #42582

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

455 Formula
Sitting Bull

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2012 :  4:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blued and Painted

All i can find is #42582

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-42585/
Go to Top of Page

billwolf620
Buffalo

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2012 :  4:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust and I love it! Nice and throaty at idle and sounds wonderful when you get up on the pedal.
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  12:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard a Dynomax muffler sound/tone that i've liked yet! I use Flowmasters on the Bird. I have 2.5" but need to go to 3".

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: