Water Pump Housing Studs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  9:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where can I get the long water pump housing studs ? I still have two in the block but can't find my other two.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  11:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are only two. The rest are bolts.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  01:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See what happens when you take your engine apart and try to put it together eight years later ?

I have a factory manual on CD, but it didn't show the studs in the picture.

Thanks Mike

Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  4:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem. The studs go in the first set of holes beneath the pump, in case you forgot. :)

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Studs?! My whole engine was bolts on the front if i recall. damnit! What am i missing now?!
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  8:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never really understood why they used the two studs other than making it a bit easier to line up the cover. Maybe they were used at some point in the past and just stayed around like the unused bolt holes in the pan rail of the cover.

Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  10:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, mine look like this. I thought there were two on the other side.

Oh, I get it. They are both supposed to be below the holes or ports as you say.

Edited by - Vanmor on 07 Dec 2010 10:42:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  10:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My block totally doesn't have those....i've been lining up the cover and putting two bolts in just started then working my way around. This would have made things sooo much easier! Maybe i'll put them in when i take the cover off to fix the minor leak there and correct my cam timing.
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  9:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's unusual, from what I've personally seen on stock motors was the two 3/8 studs on the top two timing cover/w. pump bolts which makes it easy to install them together.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  04:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, so you say the studs go on the top. Hmmmmmm.....

I read where one person said that also. But they claimed the reason was that the engine hanger goes on one of those.

Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  04:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, here's a picture from the factory manual.

Edited by - Vanmor on 09 Dec 2010 11:31:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where can you get these studs? Haven't seen them in the usual suspects places. I have all bolts in my setup (on both motors i have actually) but i have to take it apart to fix the cam timing, would love to have these to help put everything back in order on the car. Seems easier to install everything rather than trying to hold it all and put bolts in.

If no one sells them directly, does anyone have length and thread specs so i could try to find something generic that would work? Or anyone have a couple they want to sell? I'd take two sets.
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  1:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get them at ACE or TrueValue hardware. measure depth of threads in the block and and add to the housing measurement plus the nut. i would add an extra 1 1/4" on length which on mine is the case being they are original from factory!
studs make it very easy to install gasket and housing!
p.s. don't forget the nut"s and use a little anti seize on all bolt's, stud's!
mike

Edited by - mike389 on 02 Jan 2011 2:58:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  2:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just checked the stud position which are the top holes one on each side and extend 1 1/4" past face of housing and size which is 3/8"x24 threads per inch (fine thread) also there are two 3/8 bolts (not studs)on the bottom right & left of water pump! also check threads, just because mine are fine threads on the out side of housing does not mean they are in block, i can't remember but could be N/C threads! always check. my Motors Manual shows two studs on top R & L only!!!
just (remove old stud & take with you to match up) buy two more studs just like whats in your block and install will be even easier!
mike

Edited by - mike389 on 02 Jan 2011 3:24:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  5:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never seen them in the top holes. My 69 had never been apart and they were in the lower set of holes.

Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  5:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike
my pump is a 1966 8 hole, that may be the difference! if you want original look more info is needed! mine is definitely not original!
if it does not have to be org. four studs are still a very good option for alignment purpose's.
mike
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  7:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That could be, or the book is a guide, and the guys at the assembly plant put them where they wanted to.

Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2011 :  7:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could have been a beer & drug lunch that day like the chrysler/jeep guys!!!!!!!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2011 :  07:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah. the story about the rattle that wouldn't go away, until the empty beer can was removed from inside the door!

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 400 has the two studs on the low side holes only, but now that you mention it I really like the idea of placing two in the upper side as well. I'll bet they used the two studs to hang the timing cover on during production, just my hunch.

One of my studs was looking a bit questionable, so I replaced both of them. I had to go to a specialty bolt store (called King Bolt in Covina, CA) to get the right size/length/thread in a hardened grade. The usual suspects (Home depot, Lowes, Ace) didn't have it.

Be sure to use a sealant on the threads as well, Van.

PS, few things get my gearhead imagination stirring like seeing a bare Pontiac block sitting on an engine stand! Oh, to have an extra $6,000 or $10,000 to burn and month or two off from work!
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing, Van, as I recall they were NC on the block side and NF on the nut side.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2011 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vid

PS, few things get my gearhead imagination stirring like seeing a bare Pontiac block sitting on an engine stand! Oh, to have an extra $6,000 or $10,000 to burn and month or two off from work!

Interesting Story... (sorry to get off topic)
A feller I work with took off today and tomorrow, to fly down to Beluxi(?) Mississippi. To play poker. he goes every weekend up to the Ohio River boats to play, and is apparently pretty good. anyway, he told another of the guys we work with that he was takin $35,000 with him, to gamble with. no typo there. thirty five grand. Said this is his play at goin "full time" into the poker world... just depends on how things go for him down there.

Can you imagine? what a Pontiac could be built with $35K.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2011 :  10:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a great uncle who was a huge gambler. In the 50's and early 60's he used to fly from Connecticut to Las Vegas with $25,000 gambling money in his pocket, and he'd make this journey once a month, unheard of at the time.

In 1940 he built a grocery store that became very popular in town, it was one of the first "supermarkets" in the area. My Mom would shop there, and he'd tell my mother "Oh, I won $28,000 this weekend" or "I lost the whole $25,000..." She was always amazed that he was so non-chalant about it.

He eventually sold the store to A&P. He died in 1966 at 52 years old and left his kids over a million dollars each.

His gambling habits have definitely rubbed off on me. Why, just last week I "really went for it" and spent seven dollars on Mega-Millions lottery tickets, LMAO!
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2011 :  10:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
someone on e bay has newly manufactured stainless studs for the timing cover.There pricey for what they are.You should only ever need two of that kind(stainless) though. I have a good pair of originals(that I am using)or I would buy a pair of those.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: