DIY Hydraboost
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 69 GTO hardtop originally had factory front disc/rear drum brakes. I've replaced these with a Wilwood 12" 4-piston disc system on all 4 corners. My cam is marginal for vacuum power brakes, so I've decided I'm going to use a hydraboost system in order to side-step any issues.

I know I can buy a turn-key kit from CPP that has the booster, M/C, hoses and proportioning valve. I'm looking to save a little money by assembling my own, if possible, by buying components through NAPA (or similar) for a vehicle that had factory hydraboost.

I'd like to select a booster and m/c that are as close as possible to the mount, angle, pedal pushrod length, etc. as my original power brake system in order to minimize what I have to modify to make everything fit.

Has anyone else done this an if so, what did you use?

Thanks,

Bear

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  08:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much do you estimate you will save? It would have to be a significant number for me to justify sidesteping a scienced out and engineered kit.

Is the prop valve in the kit adjustable or "fixed"?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 25 May 2014 08:44:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2010 :  1:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about how much I might save, Phil. It's all just research at this point so I can make a good decision. I can get a hew hydraboost from Napa for around $200-$300 depending on which one turns out to be the best fit, the M/C will be about $100 or so, a Wilwood adjustable prop valve is about $50. If I compare that to the correct kit (with an adjustable prop valve) for my car, which lists at places like Summit for around $800, that leaves me $350-$450 for pressure/return hoses and incidentals like making/rerouting brake lines and such. Surely that will be plenty --- plus I'm sure I'd have to make some new brake lines even if I went with the kit. Awhile back I reworked the mounting for the front/rear pressure switch that activates the 'brake' warning light to move it in tighter to the frame rail to get a little header clearance. It's still pretty close to the header (1/8" or so) so I've been thinking about moving it to a completely new spot. That'll take some line work too.

Bear

Bear
Go to Top of Page

TexasT
Tribal Scout

10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  8:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put Hydroboost on my Regal using factory parts from an 84 T-Type that was factory equipped as such. Im not sure if the firewall on your A-body is similar to the G-body.

There is a guy in Dallas that builds custom brackets t mount the astro van h-boost unit to any vehicle. Elliot Sydnam is his name. I can get his info if you need.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  9:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome texas t.
Note this thread is 4 years old.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2014 :  08:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's good info, thanks and welcome Texas T. (Turbo T?)

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

TexasT
Tribal Scout

10 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2014 :  11:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My projects take a long time. I thought maybe his do too.

Thanks for the welcome.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic