New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  07:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd post an update to my 1 to 1 club best times. Motor still strong and getting better, I have over 500 passes on my CVMS built 461 stroker. This weekend good weather we ran on pass #533 a 10.399 at 128.79 and on pass #535 it ran a 10.383 at 128.95. Still making great horsepower, thanks Jim and CVMS.

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  08:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I have suddenly realized I must build them "too good"... I was hoping to get that one back this Winter for freshening up. Oh well... (:-

Good job, Corey. I find it almost humorous. After all, it has that junk Eagle cast crank, junk Comp XE grind, junk Edelbrock open plenum, junk Holley... The Pontiac "super-stars" are LAUGHING at you!!! (or ARE they?)

THANKS BILL!!! (for the existance of this site, that is!)

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1674 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  10:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Cory. If you have it nailed down to be consistant at the track I'd be most interested if someday you could back-to-back test the car with and without the K&N X-Stream filter lid.
Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  11:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve C

I have tested with a 4" K&N filter and X-Stream lid. My car runs .10-.14 slower than without any air cleaner, with a 4" K&N filter and a solid top I run .06-.09 slower than without any filter. Additionally, with the above air cleaner setups the car is not consistent. Without an air cleaner the car is consistent to .03 on any given day. I am sure other variables are at work like no inner fenders, hood clearance etc.
Go to Top of Page

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2010 :  10:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome times. I'm jelous. I can only do a 11.50.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  08:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taman,

We can fix that... (:-

Jim
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  11:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe we'll get ours to the track when JR comes home on leave in the spring. We decided to put a cage in over the winter so we don't get kicked off the track.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  11:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey--you've made some good progress. Your car is running a bit quicker than Frankenstein now--way to go. Two-thumbs up! Is you goal to make 130?

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  12:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin

Going to take what the car and engine will give us for now. A little bit more tweaking of the suspension and I hope to get to a 10.30 maybe will break the 130mph (have a best of 129.89 to date).
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2010 :  2:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ctpontiac

Admin

Going to take what the car and engine will give us for now. A little bit more tweaking of the suspension and I hope to get to a 10.30 maybe will break the 130mph (have a best of 129.89 to date).

Taman,

your motor should be running faster than that!
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  07:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to find my '75 Firebird 400 and have Jim build it so I can join the 1 to 1 club!

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  4:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can do 11.50 in the Formula if I push it off a cliff.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  07:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil,

I can fix THAT too! (:-

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  08:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on Jim, I may need to speak to you about a Pontiac marine application first.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  1:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ready to drive it into a lake, are we?

He he...
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2010 :  6:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if I put enough caulk in the doors...but I digress.;)

No, this is a bonafide marine engine project.

Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  07:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit quicker than Frankenstein? now hold on a minute! let's not get crazy. 10.37 @ 129.9 is our best, running on the lean edge, with a fuel leak under the manifold.

I guess we have to step up the program!

GREAT JOB COREY!

Greg

"...if I change one more thing, I'm sure I can squeeze out another 5hp.."
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  08:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

Well, if I put enough caulk in the doors...but I digress.;)

No, this is a bonafide marine engine project.

Man, how great would a pontiac in a boat be?! Put a big ole prop on her and let the torque just push you through the water!
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  10:37:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops, looking at the actual timeslip - 10.374 @ 128.58. Now that would be a side by side race!

Corey, you have made some outstanding progress since the fiberglassed orange fendered beast showed up at the track. Congratulations!

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  11:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Pontiacs in boats are nothing "new". In olden times, 421 and 428 were among the most popular boat engines out there, particularly in "jet" boats out West. 455 Olds seemed to "replace" it until they were no longer available. Now it's the BBC...

Phil, what kind of boat engine we talkin' about? Merc, OMC...? Call me!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1970 Chris Craft Ski Boat (Inboard). Only drawback is they came with SBC (327) but the "good news" is it has to come out for a rebuild. I really want to put a Pontiac in there but am scrounging around the net for various parts info. Cobrabill put me onto the correct manifolds which is a big piece of the puzzle.

I have an excellent running 1970 350 (17 heads) original 60k mile engine I'm thinking could be a good candidate. It could be a good start and test mule to iron out all the bugs so a built 400 or 455 could be added later.

Only problem is they only made 53 of these boats! However I believe the original SBC was replaced at some point. The research continues...

Go to Top of Page

goatasaurus rex
Sitting Bull

160 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  2:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
phil, get in touch with mr. twister on the py board. he ran a 455 in a jet boat for several years. great guy, he can give you all the ins and outs and set you on to parts.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  9:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If i'm not mistaken, boats have a unique setup with heads and cams (at least the straight 4 and 6 cyl merc outboards i've worked on). I was told by an old boat mechanic that just dropping a car motor in a boat is a recipe for disaster and can pull rocker studs out? Never saw it, just relaying.

Also, a boat is usually idling or wide open. Definitely would have to sit down and pick a good cam for that type of operation.

Lastly, i know on a lot of boats we see up here in the Great Lakes Region that have the single sbc mounted under the rear deck have an intake manifold that is very angled at the top since the motor points kind of "down" from front to rear, and the carb still sits level.

Minor things to think about when going marine with any engine/
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  9:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ctpontiac, my apologies for hijacking this thread. I'll figure out another area to continue.

Edited by - Phil on 06 Nov 2010 9:37:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  06:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg

10.374 we may just get to that next weekend if the weather holds need .010 more, really looking to get a 10:300 but need to gain on the 60 foot, maybe not this year, old slicks and all. Hope we have the opportunity to run side by side again it will be a blast. What truely is amazing is that those times are on the 533rd & 535th passes on the motor, just goes to prove CVMS motors make HP and last.(maybe longer than Jim would like).

Phil - no problem
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  08:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Corey,

I LOVE that our engines live like that. It isn't "all about the money" for some of us... (:- (though, SOME money would be nice...)

Car engines in boats a "disaster"? Well, IF the head gaskets and expansion plugs are upgraded, it will usually be fine. Cams are "specific" to marine in SOME applications. For a sport boat NOT trying to "go fast" or race, a "stock" cam is fine. Comp offers "Xtreme Marine" cams for Chevys and Fords. We've had the same grinds applied to Olds cams with complete success. No reason we couldn't do the same with the Pontiac.

That old boat isn't "reverse rotation", is it? THAT creates a whole new bag-o'-worms...

Jim
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  7:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey, Good luck! I hope you get it. My engine doesn't get as many trips as yours but it has been together since 2004. It went from 10.60s to 10.40s over time. What a great engine Jim! Dust it off, and run low tens. I have been dreaming about an upgrade or two, but cash is still a bit out of reach at the moment. Once again, go get that .30, you've earned it. I will find you sometime next summer for some side by side fun.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  06:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look forward to it Greg, its always alot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

Armadillo
Sitting Bull

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2010 :  5:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey, congratulations on breaking into the 30s. I would love to see you race Frankenstein. That would be a good race to talk about for some time.

Tom

Will I ever be done?
Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  06:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final Race of the season: The motor continued to perform great and we ran our best run ever: 10.371 @ 129.68mph. Motor still sounds and acts strong no oil leaks nothing. Jim and CVMS I want to thank you all for the great motor it made our season great and fun.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  08:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ct that is outstanding what a great motor. Jim is one of the best.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  6:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bar has just been raised! Congratulations Corey.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  08:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Corey,

ALRIGHT!!!

Greg,

You CAN do it...!

Conrad,

Thanks... (:-

Jim
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You KNOW it's eating me up! LOL!

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Armadillo
Sitting Bull

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2010 :  11:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Corey. Jim does build awesome motors. Post up when you and Greg get a grudge race going. I would be happy to see what happens. Hell I have been getting some practice in maybe I could bracket race ya'll.

Tom

Will I ever be done?
Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  07:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Update. Yesterday was the first footbrake race of the season, for us. No real changes to the car this year. First run 1.467 60ft 10.335 ET at 129.59 mph, second was 1.469 60ft 10.352 at 128.95, third was a 10.373 could not make next round had a flat tire - brand new picked up a nail. Over all it was a good day and our quickest run to date.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  08:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost 130 mph. Cool.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet runs good job.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Armadillo
Sitting Bull

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  6:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey that is great. You are whittling down your times. It looks like you could do a 10.2XX. Hope your season works out well.

Tom

Will I ever be done?
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  9:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it, I can't take it anymore... ok, now what? Great job again Corey (still). I have to finish a wood floor install, remove and replace a school bus engine for my school bus, paint my son's camaro hood, then frankenstein might get a look. 10.20s eh? I know I can get another tenth, since I have been holding back. All I have to do is...

Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  07:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Greg - Thanks - I hear you but maybe could rethink/reassess "Franky's" position in the process. I welcome a side by side race would be fun - I will make a few more suspension adjustment to try and get to the 10.2XX but not sure its there. Mason Dixon has some good long weekend races this year - would be good to get together. Just have to Say Jim builds a great motor not just fast but they live long (over 500 passes on mine and it keeps getting stronger)
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  08:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Good job, Corey! A couple others have already posted "best ever" for their cars this season, and it's just gotten started!

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Roadrage David
Cochise

Netherlands
265 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  04:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim what are the engine specs of that engine!!??.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  07:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/rebuild461CT.html

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Roadrage David
Cochise

Netherlands
265 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats one fast maschine with that awful pos eagle crank hahahahah.
Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  07:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: Yesterday we ran License runs and the old Firebird did a great job. 10:137 first run - 9.995 second run and 9.850 on our final all out run. Best 60 foot was a 1.40. It's amazing what a little NOS will do.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2011 :  4:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

ctpontiac
Buffalo

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  2:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eagle Crank Are they junk??? - After 751 passes in the low to mid 10's and a couple passes in the 9's (with nitrous) we decided to upgrade the motor. On the final pass the motor was still running strong and consistent.
Once apart we found it looked good, no abnormal stretch of timing chain, both rod and main bearings look good. Eagle crank and rods are just fine. Credit must be given to Jim and CVMS crew they designed and built a very strong and durable 461 and for us the Eagle kit did its job well.

[URL=http://img820.imageshack.us/i/corey1003.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img94.imageshack.us/i/corey1006.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img607.imageshack.us/i/corey1019.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img607.imageshack.us/i/corey1019.jpg/][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  2:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Corey--good information. What are your plans to upgrade to make a bit more power? Jim must have a few thoughts on it for you.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  5:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet Corey, Jim does build some sweet engines.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

Armadillo
Sitting Bull

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  7:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corey, Jim does build sweet ones. Can't wait to hear what is next for you.

Tom

Will I ever be done?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: