Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  11:30:04 AM  Show Profile
52x24 plus a car port makes 6 but technically 5 garaged. What model Shopsmith do you have and what add-ons?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2011 :  3:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
It's Mark V unit and has the band saw attachment. My dad got it around 1981.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  08:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Back to assessing my interior.

The headliner board (what the vinyl is attached to and held in place by trim and dome light) is no longer flat. it has lost it's integrity and is bulging/sagging in places. It is doubtful that it can be removed and refitted using a bonding agent to secure it in spots to the roof. The bonding agent would have to be able to withstand 140+ degree cabin temperature. I'll explore that possibility but I may have no choice but to buy a new board and headliner. Ka-ching. $$$

------
After considering the dashboard crack-- I will purchase a new full and correct dashboard and install it. This is involved, so, I'll remove all the seats and trim to do it. That's my plan.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  1:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Bill, why not have yours redone by Justdashes? Guaranteed fit (its your dash after all) and OEM+ quality vs. aftermarket repopped dash. I'll look up the Mark V in the meantime.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  3:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Bill Fbodywharehouse has new dashes if you wnat to check with them just add .com

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Phil--I called Justdashes. The cost of a refurbishing my dash is $1400. The final product is 1st rate. That would set my resto projection back a year or more.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  3:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Conrad I've been to their site and they have one product available. It was one that I was considering and is similar to the one Classic Industries has for $420--an OER product. It only comes in black and I'd have to shoot it.

----
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile
$1400?!! Holy crap! Are they gold plating it? I had the one in my GTO done several years ago and it was about half that price! It too is a wrap around dash pad (1970). No wonder repops have become economical to make.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  5:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
I told my wife about the cost of the dashboard refurbishing that JustDashes could do--and she was not happy at all. I probably pushed too far this time.

----
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  6:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy.

Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Bill if you don't ant to replace your dash or fix it yourself I could check and see if the place where i got mine done would do yours and how much?

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  10:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Conrad--sounds like a good idea, however, let's hold off for a while. I need to reevaluate my budget.

----
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  06:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Take your time, just wanted to throw that out to you.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

cjswan
Tribal Scout

13 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  07:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Try Seat Belt Solutions. They repair and rebuild the retractors and replace the belt webbing. Not cheep though.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  09:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Bill. are you sure they didn't quote you for a "Concours" dash restoration? That would explain the Donald Trump pricing. I had them do the OEM type resto on mine and it looks perfect.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  1:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Phil they didn't distinguish or advise me of different levels of workmanship. I merely asked them for how much it would cost to do my dash because of the crack. If there are different levels (like porting heads) the guy was not forth coming about it. That raises some doubt in my mind.

----
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2011 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, that was an option when I had mine done and it jacked up the price significantly. From what I could gather at the time, it was another level above "OEM grade" (my words) and more like a Nitpicky-PITA-Concours-OCD-Anal Retentive grade (again, my words). I was more than happy with showroom new at a lesser price.

Edited by - Phil on 29 Jul 2011 3:18:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  07:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
I will probably call Just Dashes again and see if I can get it explained to me by asking better questions. I will always "accept" show room new in appearance. That goes for all other parts of the car too.

----
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  07:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I was just looking at Just Dashes the other day. $1400!!! Might be a lot easier to find a used one in good condition. That really blows the budget.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

OriginalHO
Tribal Scout

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  9:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit OriginalHO's Homepage
Gen-2 Firebird dash panels are not that hard to come by. On my 1979 T/A WS6 W72, I bought a whole wrecked 79 T/A 403 and used many parts off it on my resto including the dash panel. Also, you can find them on eBay. A couple of hundred bucks tops.

Craig Hendrickson, The "H" in H-O Racing Specialties.

http://www.originalho.com
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  08:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Craig--thanks for the tip.

Cost is a big factor in my decision, but so is quality. Trying to balance the two in this lousy economy is most difficult.

----
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  09:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Craig, whatever happened to Kern?

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Awhile back I bought a Sears Die Hard for the TA. It doesn't get fired up much so I have a charger when I sense the time is right to boost the battery. Today, I decided to put gas in the car and to my dismay--the engine wouldn't turn over. %$#%^*(&^#@!

So, out came the portable mini charger and started the engine and got some gas. I drove 10 miles and the battery is back up.

During those miles of travel I noticed two things, aside from the outside temperature being close to 90 at 10 am. The first being that my Stereo FM radio gets crappy reception and the sound from the rear speaker is pathetic. My guess the speaker is shot. Moreover, couldn't get anything out of the front speaker--not even garble. It's probably shot too. The FM stereo sounded like lousy AM reception from the '60s. Pathetic. Something else to work out.

Secondly, I was watching the temperature gauge. I purposely drove to locations where the traffic light makes you sit for 2 minutes before turning green. The engine temp reached 190 degree F. Still very acceptable considering the outside temperature and humidity.

We are not nearly as hot as some locations in the midwest--I feel for you folks especially those folks seeing 100 plus temps. Brutal. Between the flooding, tornadoes and brutal summer heat--winter looks like a respite. Stay hydrated.

----
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  11:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Bill, I printed out a picture of your model Shopsmith and passed along to some guys in the trade. One of them is "retired" and somewhat interested but obviously shipping will be an issue if you are not selling locally.

Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  1:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Phil Ken post once in awhile on PY.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

OriginalHO
Tribal Scout

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit OriginalHO's Homepage
quote:
Craig, whatever happened to Kern?

Kern is still around, but as far as message boards are concerned, he's more into power boats than cars.

He & I gave a joint presentation at Pontiac Heaven in April. Here's the link to the PDF if you're interested:

http://www.originalho.com/PontiacHeaven2011.html

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Go to Top of Page

OriginalHO
Tribal Scout

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  05:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit OriginalHO's Homepage
quote:
Phil Ken post once in awhile on PY.

Kern Osterstock ("O" in H-O Racing) and Ken Crocie (owner of H-O Racing after 1981) are two different people. Ken Crocie was at Pontiac Heaven in April, but was in the audience although he was an informal part of the Craig & Kern presentation.

Edited by - OriginalHO on 06 Aug 2011 05:19:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  06:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Craig, thanks for the update on Kern as well as the link. You guys are among the "giants" and part of the history of the Pontiac hobby.

Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2011 :  07:29:11 AM  Show Profile
My bad

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Now for some current pictures of interior items needing replacement.

The first is my steering wheel and dashboard showing the crack.

Below is the cracked steering wheel. The horn button is not original to the car, and will be re-painted the correct camel tan color.

Below is another picture of the dash--Man that hurts. $$$$$

The driver's seat has seen better days. Three picts showing 31 years of wear.

The seat belt, if you look closely, is worn on the edges.

The passenger side show no signs of wear except the vinyl is hard. Cracking and splitting will occur. . The back seat vinyl is in similar condition.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2011 :  10:22:29 PM  Show Profile
Bill I saw somwone that use epoxy to fill cracks on steering wheel than redyed I did not see the finished wheel and I forget which board I saw it on.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2011 :  07:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Conrad--12 years ago I bought a wheel on ebay. It was supposed to be dark camel tan. What I got was a carmine red steering wheel that had been coated with something, perhaps epoxy and repainted buckskin--the same color as that center horn hub in the photo. The spokes were gold. It was put on the car and used until the backside of the 12 o'clock position cracked and flaked off. As I recall, this cost me $175. It was a big disappointment so my original wheel went back on. The foam steering wheel flexes so nothing I know of can adequately fill and repair the disintegration and cracking of the foam. Oils from you hands help in destroying the foam, IMO. Why I didn't return the wheel to the seller is anyone's guess. But I tend to think it was because I was moving across country our about to on another military move (PCS).

======

Radiator Overflow Bottle: Mine is working fine but has discolored. The replacement I got is wrong--all wrong and doesn't work with the 400 engine. The part number is 10006782 and is on the back of the unit. I found an "exact" reproduction at this web site:

http://www.transamflorida.com/partsCOOLING.htm

It's the second one from the top.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 09 Aug 2011 3:00:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
More assessing going on.

Power windows and doors locks--

The switches are fine but the contacts to the motors and solenoids need to be cleaned up to make better contact In addition the mechanism on the door locks need lubrication. To do any of this requires removal of both door panels. This can be done when the interior is gutted and before it heads off for exterior painting. Other things need to be fixed at that time including new window felt guides. One is bad and permitted the window to be scratched on the driver's side.

When the time comes, I'll get new pre-assembled panels and weather stripping. This work will be done after the car has new paint.

-----
The interior blower motor doesn't run. It quit in 2002 as I recall. It's supposed to run at 20% of speed (low setting) on these cars at all times. It could be a bad wire, or the switch. I'll try to fix (sort this out) in the coming weeks.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  09:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
After talking with my wife, I've come to the realization that several things are going to happen. First, there's no need for me to keep my open trailer. My plans of drag racing the TA again are over. It was to be used hauling the TA to and from the strip-- Ain't going to happen. The trailer will be cleaned up, repainted and offered for sale. Second, our reliable, but old K5 Blazer 4 x 4 truck, will never get restored by me and while the engine and transmission / driveline are sound, the interior is shot and the body is now rusting badly. It's an eyesore. Hopefully, some fellow with a love for these 4 x 4 2dr trucks will buy it and save it from being junked and parted out. [The trans was rebuilt at 220k and the odometer now has 242k on it. The 350 SB engine replaced the tired 305 in 1998.] Thirdly, and most painfully, my restoration of the TA will be slowed to a crawl. Progress will be like watching erosion on a rock.

----
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2011 :  7:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Bill, send me the detals on the trailer.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  08:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Today is January 24th, 2012, and as my last post on this thread indicated, my resto project is barely crawling.

Other things are constantly getting in front of my project and rightly so. My wife put things in perspective for me again yesterday so I'll be doing more on those things to get to the TA project.

Today I'm visiting with a garage door company. My 47 year old door could be repaired. However, no one replaces wooden rails and panels in South Florida because they don't meet hurricane standards. I'm pretty handy on the wood working side of things but to rebuild a bottom panel section is not practical. I'd not be able to close up and secure the garage for days. Not good.

So, I'll get some estimates on a new steel door. My current door has glass windows. They don't meet code today for anything newly installed, so I'd have to pay for Lexan if I want light to come into the garage with the door closed. An all steel door is going to be less.

I'd rather spend the money on the TA--of course, but the door is necessary.

----
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  10:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Those insulated doors are nice. In the morning I could open the down stairs door to the atached no A/C garage, and it would stay cool all day. Oh, while looking through the blue paints I ran across Aruba Blue. Might be a nice place to send the wife snorkeling so you can work on your Bird.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 24 Jan 2012 11:28:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Bill I am right there with you, as it will be awhile be for my T/A is ever restored. Oh well at leat I can drive it when it warms up.

Conrad

Edited by - rad400 on 24 Jan 2012 11:56:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Visited the showroom and got two estimates this morning. One without insulation, one with insulation. The insulated door costs $500 more, and that's probably the way we'll go.

The company provides new hardware and they can do the job in a day. Permits and city inspection are needed too. Now, I just need to rearrange the crap in the garage so they can access the rails. They will junk the old door for me.

I've given up on windows. They would cost $600 extra but theirs a pitfall. Lexan is okay, but there a large horizontal support beam that would be behind the Lexan panel cutting down on the amount of light getting in. It's an ok aesthetic look from the outside but doesn't give me light. It's a facade. No good.

This will cost $2100.

----
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  1:14:25 PM  Show Profile
My insulated door was included in the new home price. But being a non heated space the insulation guys skiped the garage. So before sheet rock I added a 220 outlet, two 110 plugs, and insulation. Well worth the effort for a Georgia home in the summer.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  3:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage
Garage doors need a permit there?! And i was complaining about the permit needed to put a shed in my back yard!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  2:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
My wife had the day off today and insisted that we put together a plan to get things done around here. The list of things to do is long. My TA is at the end of that very long list.

----
Go to Top of Page

phizkig
Buffalo

66 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  9:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, me too. Spring has sprung and too many unfinished projects as well. I have also been given the ultimatum and have to refrain from enjoying my shop..... sniff... sniff... I hate repainting the house... grumble, grumble.....
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  11:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
Update: Thursday 3 May 2012

Things continue at a snail's pace around here. Oops, another snail just passed me....Things are very slow.

For the umpteenth time, I'm trying to assemble a comprehensive parts need list for the TA. A complete new interior including a new dash board and all new plastic parts, seating, foam, everything is what's being drawn up. I'm up over $2,000 already with more parts to be added.

My battery is being charged as I type this. Sitting for 6 weeks equates to a run-down-no start situation. Will fire it up later.

----
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile
I would die the plastic parts if not to worn. An ex boss sent his 55 crown vic out for total interior restoration. Came back 4 weeks later brand new everything for $5000. Hope that #1 skip does not return.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile
The problem I have seen with these cars is the plastic panels "dry out" and start falling apart. That is in the Mid Atlantic States so I can't imagine how bad it must be further south. I've seen panels so badly faded in a blue 79 TA we once had, that they were almost white and continuously were producing a chalky coating no matter how many times it was wiped off. When I removed the panels, they shattered like glass!

Replace them Bill if they are brittle.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  8:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage
That's what happened Phil....chalky powder. They are breaking down chemically.

----
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  8:53:06 PM  Show Profile
Bill Brett Campell Hitman form 78t/a.com sells seat covers to recover seats check with him cheeper than most catalogs.

Conrad
Go to Top of Page

Kiwi Mal
Cochise

New Zealand
690 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  01:29:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

The problem I have seen with these cars is the plastic panels "dry out" and start falling apart. That is in the Mid Atlantic States so I can't imagine how bad it must be further south. I've seen panels so badly faded in a blue 79 TA we once had, that they were almost white and continuously were producing a chalky coating no matter how many times it was wiped off. When I removed the panels, they shattered like glass!

Replace them Bill if they are brittle.

The plastic panels on my bird were starting to do that so we sanded the powdering plastic off and sprayed it with a underseal type product that set, which created the same sort of finish and then repainted them. Not perfect but came up OK.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2013 :  10:19:07 AM  Show Profile
I rediscovered my own thread so I'm adding to the post--

Today is Sept 12. 2013.

Currently the TA is partially apart. The bumper cover and passenger side fender are off, and the dash is partially disassembled. Aside from spending time "ferreting" out the non-operating blower motor for weeks, progress has been slow, but successful. When parts are off, it's easy to see what needs to be corrected or fixed. One things leads to another and the job escalates. That's what's happening with my project.

BTW, the blower motor issues are resolved. An additional ground wire was added from the motor to the firewall. I'm thankful it's resolved as wiring issues are difficult.

With the fender off, I have access to the engine, frame etc. The frame was dirty so it was cleaned. Then minor surface rust was removed with a wire brush, lightly scrubbed with steel wool, sanded and other parts not to get painted black were covered. It's coming along. The passenger side head was also repainted Pontiac blue (again) primarily done to add more paint to the head and put some paint on the ARP head bolts I left uncoated. For some insane reason I expected the black oxide coating to stand up to moisture. Nope--they need paint.

All and all progress is being made but at a turtle's pace, mostly my fault. It seems if I push things too much, the caliber of work drops off. I get overtired and make mistakes and wind up doing them over when I'm fresh. So, I work slowly...come back to it and move on to another area.

The UPS delivery driver is also wearing a path to our house.

Bill

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: