New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike389
Big Trees

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  11:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally went east to a car show and the results are in on engine temps going up 6-7% grade for a few miles with the A/C on and bra in place on front of car! temps rose from 180 on the flat lands to 208 tops over the mountain pass and that is at 75 mph!!!! so the intake mods are a success!! (check intake/carb posts) also the shroud and H/D clutch fan along with 180 deg. hi flow stat helped in previous attempts to improve cooling!!!! the flex fans in the garbage they could not cool an ice cube on a -10 degree day! crap i should of sold them to a chebbie lover!!LOL
mike

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  10:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a 7 blade flex fan on just last week and have no problems running at 170 degrees tops, idling in 90 degree weather or cruising, with AC on. Good flex fans work, they're just loud and power robbers. Incidentally, i put on a new Hayden HD clutch and 5 blade fan on to lose some highway noise and hoping the car would warm up to 190 or so. No luck, stuck at 165 until i swapped out to a stant 195 thermostat and took out the 160 degree hi flow stat.

I know flex fans are cheap, but they can work as well as a clutch fan (in the cooling department, not so much in fuel economy and noise, hp loss). I can scientifically prove that on this car, testing all day. I think your shroud, stat, and intake changes are the real cure here. I'm glad to see another pontiac running cool. Chevy guys are all under the impression that you can't have a well running and cool pontiac!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: