New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  10:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recieved my BeCool Radiator/fan module tonight, got to lookin and there's not really any means of mounting the radiator in the car.

Guess I need to make my own retaining brackets for the radiator somehow... Any Ideas?

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress

Edited by - PontiacMatt on 18 May 2010 10:30:36 PM

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  07:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's something to ponder.

The radiator in my TA is free standing, in that it is held in position by two rubber supports on the bottom and two rubber supports on the top. It sits on the bottom ones. The top ones keep it from moving upwards. The whole deal is held in place by the plastic fan shroud that is bolted to the cross piece at the bottom and fastens to the top support with bolts. So, but for the lower rubber supports the radiator is not attached to anything. What you need to do is examine the shroud you have, if you have one at all, and see how you can make it all work in a similar fashion.

Note: I have observed many aftermarket radiators in muscle cars that had no shroud whatsoever. They ran electric fans etc as well, in lieu of the engine mounted fan. The shroud is designed to draw air through the radiator and funnel it to the front of the engine. The engine fan sits partially inside of the shroud.

What BECool Radiator did you buy? Please post a photo of it. That will help us help you.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  4:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, you have a point... My old radiator was held in the same way... I may see if it will work or not. I got the Radiator/electric fan module... Preventative maintenance for the new engine.

I believe they called this their "Eliminator" series on Summit's site and in their catalog...
Here it is from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BCI-22008/

Here's pictures of it:

Edited by - PontiacMatt on 19 May 2010 4:04:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played around with the old fan shroud and the new radiator last night, I may be able to get it to work. Just gonna have to do alittle "modifying." So that's how I'm going to try to mount the radiator, as of now.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine is held in the same way as described above, came that way from a previous owner. If you look at my pics from my thread below, you can see he cut the shroud to fit around the fill he had, but other than that, full length 1/2 thick rubber pads run the length of the top and bottom and the radiator fits in very tight by itself. Bolts going through the top of the shroud holding the shroud on also keep the radiator from moving forward (the top is almost like a C-Channel) by protruding in so the front lip of the radiator can't move back. Snug as a bug and couldn't think of a better way to mount it than he had it.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  7:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PontiacMatt

I played around with the old fan shroud and the new radiator last night, I may be able to get it to work. Just gonna have to do alittle "modifying." So that's how I'm going to try to mount the radiator, as of now.

Matt,
I bought the AFCO direct fit for my firebird.. Except for tweaking the trans lines a tad, it was a direct fit. I replaced a two core original radiator for the two core, 1-In tube Afco. I got the Afco from Summit too.

At any rate, my car really liked the Alum radiator. Dropped temps big time.

Edited by - bnorris_74 on 22 May 2010 08:23:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  10:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, apparently the only "direct fit" of my radiator is the size. I've been fiddling with it all night... figured out I won't be able to use the original fan shroud- the brackets for the electric fan make it impossible. without the fan, it might have worked. sooo, have another idea to try tomorrow morning.

stay tuned...

Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  08:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something to consider:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-78700

Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  10:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, Thanks, but I may have got something figured out. I bought a steel bar, then cut and bent it to hold the radiator in. It will definately keep the radiator in there good and snug.

Will post pics later...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: