Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  01:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just brainstorming here...

I am going to cap off the heater core inlets and outlets on the engine (and of course at the firewall). this would reduce the overall flow travel (keeping water flowing only through the block and then back through the radiator). Wouldn't this result in increased pressure from the water pump?

Could there possibly be increased cooling potential found in doing this?

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress

Edited by - PontiacMatt on 18 May 2010 01:36:09 AM

Kiwi Mal
Cochise

New Zealand
690 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  02:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your heater core acts as a small radiator. So it aids in cooling. If you bypass it you car decressing the cooling capsity and exposed surface area.
You can get high flow water pumps for some engine families and they can also increase the temp on a street car, as they flow the water through the radiator too fast so it dosn't cool down as much.

Mal
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  06:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many hot rodded cars eliminate the heater. They cap the system and seem to do fine. I can tell you Matt that I've had to eliminate or bypass the heater on a few occasions because of a leaking core and on those occasions never had a problem with higher engine temperatures. The heater cores were replaced on those cars and the lines were put back in place--again saw no difference in engine temperature. There probably is some difference because there is more coolant flowing through the system. My "idiot" lights and electric gauges showed nothing different. Food for thought.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  07:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only time water actually goes through the heater core is when the heater valve is open. The heater valve is designed to bypass the heater. You wouldn't lose engine cooling unless you are using the heater all of the time to help cool the engine..
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of my Firebirds (for example) and my 70 GTO have had heater valves from the factory. The coolant circulates through the core all the time and the heat is controlled by the flap doors under the dash/firewall area.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 18 May 2010 08:31:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see... well the main reason I'm doing away with them is because the heater hose "nipple" that come off the back of the head is directly below my vaccuum advance canister on the distributor-no room for the hose. It has been capped off, and I just figured I'd do away with the heater hoses all together, for a cleaner look.

Thanks for the input fella's. I'll let ya know how it goes once I get it all together and on the road again.

Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  10:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also "re-clock" the distributor to a position that does not interfere with the heater hose.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  10:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I felt I would need/use the heater, I would probably try that Drake... But thanks anyway!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: