Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

65GPER
Tribal Scout

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  8:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Have white smoke and coolant in the oil pan...suspect head gasket replacement. Am preparing to do so, but would appreciate any info and especially procedure in determining cause(intake leak etc.)
Not a mechanic but handy and afraid of all the mis info available. Any help would be appreciated

THX JAY

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  10:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it is only a gasket. Did you discover the leak after winter storage or while driving? I once cracked a block at the valley after draing it for the winter (but sadly not enough). Just check your spark plugs to see which side and which cylinders are leaking. I would suspect a leaking headgasket rather than the intake as the intake only feeds through at the front near the water pump. What year engine are you working on?
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  11:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you pull the heads, before replacing the gaskets check (or have a machine shop check) the head surfaces for warpage.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

65GPER
Tribal Scout

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  07:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine is a professionally rebuilt original 65 GP, with less than 700 miles on it.Had noticed a coolant loss problem becoming more prevelant over time. to the point of much white smoke from exhausts,coolant in the oil pan and finally leak towards the rear of the engine.New thermostat and rad cap. When looking at the spark plugs, what should I be looking for?Will be working on it this sunday..thx for your reply
quote:
Originally posted by dgray

I hope it is only a gasket. Did you discover the leak after winter storage or while driving? I once cracked a block at the valley after draing it for the winter (but sadly not enough). Just check your spark plugs to see which side and which cylinders are leaking. I would suspect a leaking headgasket rather than the intake as the intake only feeds through at the front near the water pump. What year engine are you working on?

Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's not missing, the plug will have deposits on it. I have seen wet plugs that still fire and have a gob of minerals on the electrodes. Trust me, you will know it when you see it if the water is getting into the cylinder. If the cylinder is not firing the plug will be wet and fouled. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  10:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prof. rebuilt is not 100% foolproof either. There are often uh-oh's and oversights.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q. What kind of egg did the bad chicken lay?
http://www.vintbridals.com/mother-of-the-bride-dresses.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: