New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  7:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son turned me on to claybar a couple years ago.

I used it on my Firebird and was amazed at the amount of debris it pulled from the paint. My car was repainted about 6 years ago. I don't keep it covered while it's parked in my garage.

I used some stuff before the repaint and was impressed with it. It was a two part process with a cleaner used first and then a carbuba wax for the last step. It took about 8 hours to do the car but the shine was amazing.

The question is: what is your favorite product that produces the best results?

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  2:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never wax? Really? Glaze is used to get rid of swirl marks left from buffing. Wax is used to protect the finish from among other things, UV rays. Sun is very damaging no matter what finish is on the car. I would be careful of that advice.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  3:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've used McGuiar's products for many years. I always clay bar before waxing. I normally clay and wax twice a year.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Lucas
Cochise

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2010 :  10:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Mike. I have been in the paint and body field for a long time and have never heard another body guy not recommend waxing. Hand glaze removes material. Yes, you will get a great shine but depending on how many layers of clear or color, depending on the paint system used, you will bust through eventualy and then you are in real trouble. Every person that takes something from my shop is recommended they wash regularly and thouroughly and to wax at the very least four times per year. When I have race cars or classic cars that are garaged then it isn't as important but still recommended. I have used Mcguiers for that last several years and have had good results. The liquid waxes are in my opinion much easier to use then the paste waxes. Some waxes are better than others but the most important thing is to do it. It will save you a repaint down the road. And we all know how much a good paint job cost.
Lucas

"wildfire"
Real pontiac power
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  09:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 66 Bonneville convertable and I would never take it through an automatic car wash. I am very careful what I put on a convertable top. Lots of stuff can stain a white top. At the do-your-self wash I don't use the wax except on my truck. It makes water bead up for a day or two. I don't think it offers much protection or adds to the shine as far as I can tell. It makes my windshield streak.
Go to Top of Page

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  4:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Zymol on my TA. Gives a awesome shine. Compared it side by side on my TA and it was a better shine than the Meguires. Not much but, still deeper. I also use Meguires products. I like paste over liquid. Paste has way more solids in the wax. At least that's what Meguires told me.
I will never use anything Mothers. One year on the Power Tour a rep from Mothers was a complete ass too my wife. The following year he did the same thing.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  6:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waxes are like camshafts, there is always a compromise somewhere.

What I have learned or been led to believe is that softer waxes (like JaxWax Brazil Wax or McGuiar's Gold Class) give a higher gloss but don't protect for long periods, they need to be reapplied more frequently. Harder waxes with silicones and polymers mixed in (like McGuiar's Cleaner Wax or Turtle Hard Shell) are very durable and can last for months but don't shine quite as glossy as the purer Carnaubas.

I keep the GTO under a cover and it gets a "full treatment" about twice a year. This process takes a good chunk of the day, but it is worth it.

Starts with an orbital buffing with a mild commercial grade cleaning/scratch removing compound, clay bar is used in the rougher areas, then I go to the orbital again with a special glaze by 3M called "Finesse It II", then a coat of wax applied by orbital buffer (I am using Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba at the moment, good high-gloss stuff). Show winning shine!

For the record, that Finesse It II glazing product by 3M is what I use to bring out the gloss when I refinish electric guitars (on the laquer finishes). I don't know of any other product that reduces (eliminates, actually) fine scratches and swirl marks like that stuff does. It brings out a true showroom shine. It's not cheap, but it is a great investment in your paint job.
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2010 :  9:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a ruined axle last year and couldn't get parts for a couple days. My 66 Bonneville convert sat out at my brothers house for a couple of days and his girlfriend rinsed the dust off it but didn't dry it off. Lime from his well water got all over it. I washed it and then tried the claybar and it really smoothed everything out. It took 3 bars and most of a day for that big old car but the claybar worked great. I only wax it once a year because its like simonizing a firetruck. I never leave it out or take to work or the drags. It's too damn hard to keep it clean. From then on the cover has been in the trunk in case i need it. I have been using Meguire's Show Car Glaze #7. It dosen't leave white residue in cracks and around the trim. I also use microfiber cloths to remove the wax. You don't need to turn them so often and you can shake them out. They also wash out well.
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is most certainly the best most informative website I've seen yet,I am thrilled I unearthed .
http://www.bloodwatches.com/rolex.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: