New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Paul
Crazy Horse

USA
776 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  11:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After tightening the front intake to water pump housing bolt first, then the rest of the intake bolts, it still leaks. is there a way to stop this leak? a thicker rubber gasket ect.?

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7240 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you replace the factory rubber seal?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4905 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  12:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Paul, your installation method is correct. Phil's question about the seal is a good one. If you used a new one, be sure the metal is clean/smooth on the housing and intake.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Crazy Horse

USA
776 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  12:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a new seal, with sealer, both surfaces was clean. I had this problem with my 67 bird as well. just dealt with it.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Crazy Horse

USA
776 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a good point about both ends being smooth. I did not check, but I will. Thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some guys will cheat and get some good SS washers of the right OD and ID and shim the rubber washer on one or both sides.
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Sitting Bull

88 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2018 :  11:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion there are very few design flaws in my 71 Pontiac. The intake to water pump seal is an example of a poor design. There is no way (that I know of yet) to seal the leak once everything is installed and running.

Ames Performance has a rubber seal that is thicker and may work.

Anyone with any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5380 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  09:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a few around from different kits (fel pro, one that came with a water pump kit, etc) and did notice one was about 1/16" thicker. I also coat both sides of the o-ring with RTV once everything is clean, a very light skim coat. No leaks.

If you found any kind of thicker rubber flat donut to go in there, it would work, and please document what the part number is so the rest of us can find it!
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
437 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  10:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always finger tight the rear bolts of the intake first,it allows the intake to pull up with out causing it to tip forward.It allows for a good flat pull forward and crush of the rubber donut.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4905 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2018 :  2:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom's solution works.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
574 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  12:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
removed water part of intake, checked rubber seal for fit & found it even with edge (big problem & cause of leak) of manifold the butts up to pump housing, so removed 1/16" material from Edelbrock Perf. & cleaned all surface's with acetone and used ultra-grey as recommended by Pontiac Dude ! fix was easy!!! also changed out valve cover gaskets which i went back to 1/8" style !!! used grey here to! let cure 36 hrs' (24 is is norm.) started last night got engine up to temp topped off radiator!!! as of this morning no leaks so far so all is good !!!
this is older post from 19 Jul 2014
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: