New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

russ t-37
Cochise

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  8:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what's up guys? i have a question for ya. are the aluminum radiators you see on ebay for around $150 range any good? how many rows do you need for a vintage car like ours? i can't afford a $500 one like the name brand one like you see. i run a 3 core copper one now and it tends to get hot quick but never overheats.

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  9:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too use a three row and I get might warm also, I believe four row is the route at least. It depends also if you are a a/t or manual.

Frankie
Go to Top of Page

MIKE
Buffalo

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  9:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using a cheep summit aluminum radiator 31" x 19" two row. with an electric fan on my 79 TA. it stays cool as long as my foot is not to the floor for long periods on hot days.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  07:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't answer as to the quality of the cheap Ebay radiators.

I bought an Afco from Summit, it's a direct fit replacement for 74 FBird and has two rows of 1 inch cores. I changed from a two core copper.
Switching to aluminum lowered my temps by 50 degrees or more. I had the infamous death climb in temps at highway speeds (220 and rising) with the copper unit. With the aluminum the max temps I see are 180. I run a HD thermal mechanical clutch with a 7 blade fan. 3.42 gears 9:1 compression.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Lipton
Tribal Scout

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  09:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of the ebay radiators and it works great.I have a mild 350 auto and I live in Tampa and it stays around 180 to 190.I put a flex fan on it.My waterpump probably needs to have the divider plates adjusted or the pump replaced because in heavy stop and go traffic it will go to 200 while sitting but comes right down when you get going.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  10:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just put a Summit radiator in the V-8 4 Runner. Fit really well and works great. This was after we bought a so called conversion radiator that couldn't keep it cool. For the price, you can't beat it.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  10:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the so called conversion radiator couldn't keep up, we put a Summit unit in the V-8 4 Runner and it works great. Great price too.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Pontiac Dude
Sitting Bull

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  3:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pontiac Dude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ran an AFCO 2 core too. Never ran hot. The better rads are in the way the fins are made and placed. If in-line you won't get the cooling effect as you would if the air has to go around each fin like a figure 8.
Also the design of the fin is either a football or squared/curved on the ends for more displacement and cooling.

A good 2 core will out cool a 4 core not designed right or cheaply made.

## 1976 T/A, Hydraulic roller, 3460lbs, stock suspension & Pump gas. N/A: 9.78@136 ##

I Specialize in ALL American Muscle Iron.
https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/?pnref=story
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  3:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also bought the cheaper summit aluminum direct fit radiator for my firebird. Iam very happy with the results so far, about one year total in car. I run a 160degree t-stat, a flex/belt driven fan and an aftermarket aluminum water pump. I never see high temps, it might hit 185-190 on the hottest days sitting at idle in traffic.

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

nyracer
Sitting Bull

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  11:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got one of those ebay radiators from oscar rads. It is made in China. So far so good. I had it for about 6 months. I used a repro. shroud and I drilled my own holes. I also had to cut the top of the shroud with a razor knife. It came out really nice.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the application and how much fabrication you can do. Back in 2002 I purchased a 2-row (1" tubes) 31"x19" aluminum radiator from a vendor on EBAY for about $170. Upon receipt I noticed it was Made in U.S.A. by Northern. It was a very basic radiator with no tranny cooler and no mounts, but had enough "meat" on either end of it for drilling mounts or welding tabs for mounts. For my 79 T/A that saw mostly track only duty, it was more than sufficient.

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  10:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Griffin.Incredible radiators.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2010 :  1:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also have one stamped "Northern" with a high flow water pump and a .30 over 428 about 9.1 compression. It sticks within about 5 degrees of whatever stat i throw in it (at 160 it was at 165, with 195 stat it sits at 200). Can't be that bad a radiator, don't know how much the previous owner paid for it.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thread revival alert!

I just picked up a Champion aluminum radiator for the wagon. Champion products are sold through various distributors on ebay for not a lot of money. The good news is they are not Chinese imported crap, Champion makes them right here in the USA (Lake Elsinor, CA).

Instead of dealing through ebay I made arrangements to visit Champion's shop in person, met the folks who work there and saw their whole operation. Nothing ultra fancy, just a large lift slab building next to an airport, the front of the building is adorned with their logo, the shop is very clean and efficiently run. I was impressed.

Walked out with a very good looking aluminum radiator for $144, they even waived the sales tax and the thing looks very similar to "the expensive ones" and fits just like I was reinstalling my old OEM radiator. Came with a 16lb cap and everything. Couldn't be happier.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  10:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following up on that Champion radiator. Took the car for a nice long drive over the weekend, complete success, the car never topped 180* and it didn't matter if in traffic or on the interstate.

What a difference, I wish I'd done this months ago.

One goof though... I forgot to paint the front of the radiator black and the natural aluminum is really obvious behind the grill and front bumper

Edited by - Vid on 04 Apr 2011 8:32:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Cochise

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  03:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vid, they got a web site or do you have contact info?

PSP Member since 1996

Never enough cubes...

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure thing Mark. Call Brent at 714-599-3336, he is ebay seller Kool Radiators. He arranged a will call pickup for me direct at the factory, but of course he can ship them anywhere. $144 is ridiculously inexpensive for a really nice aluminum radiator.

FYI, mine is a two row, but there are twice as many vertical cooling tubes as there were in my old OE brass (Harrison) radiator. So there was no need to buy a new shroud or any of that hassle. Complete direct replacement and it kicks ass in my opinion. My experience so far is identical to Brian's (bnorris_74 above).
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  9:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vid thanks for the post.

I took my old radiator to the shop today and they said the core was toast. They also want $400 bucks to put a new core in it. No Way !

If I was doing a restoration, OK. But since this is my "hot rod" I'm not worried about that. I think one of these radiators will do me just fine.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  11:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you paint the tanks black, they should blend it rather well. I'm waiting for the 2 row shroud to show up, there was just too much gap for my taste with the 4 row shrouds. Other than that, it would be pretty much drop in.
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  5:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vid, Brent told me to say hi and thanks for spreading the word about those radiators.

I scored one today for $174.95 and that included shipping. Way cheaper than $400 for a repair.

Thanks for posting his phone number.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  04:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q. Why did the one-handed man cross the road?
http://www.coswatches.net/rolex-daytona.html

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  6:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2014 :  8:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a Griffen from Summit for $267 for my 75 TA.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: