New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

russ t-37
Cochise

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got a free set of these and put them on my car. what application were these originally from the factory for? are they really beneficial? i thought they might be so i installed them.

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  6:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 74 350 2bbl had them so they are definitely not a performance item. I've read that they started using these in 73 or 74.

They might cause problems with anything but stock rockers unless spacers are used. I was told that I didn't need them on my heads. I no longer use the oil shields on the valve springs.
The previous years used the dripper assembly that fastened directly to the heads with two studs.
Go to Top of Page

russ t-37
Cochise

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2009 :  08:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there must be some advantage on a stock drivetrain. extra upper lubrication maybe?
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2009 :  06:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found them on my 73 455 when I pulled it apart. Not sure what they were for but I didn't use them again.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  2:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect they cut down on oil vapors which ultimately get sucked into the PCV system and/or by better control of the oils return path, thereby reducing ultimate leakage through valve cover gaskets as the engine ages?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 20 Jul 2009 4:59:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  11:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about those funny looking sheet metal things that go over your rocker arms ?

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  01:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RayK

Found them on my 73 455 when I pulled it apart. Not sure what they were for but I didn't use them again.

I heard they keep the springs cool.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  08:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
[/quote]
Possibly. I've also read that they are designed to lube the standard rocker arms.
If using roller rockers, the bearings in those require less lubrication so the drippers can be removed.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  1:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But that doesn't make sense to me because they showed up in low perf. engines. I would have thought if they were there to cool valve springs or lube rockers better, they would have been in the RA, SD, HO engines first.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess would be the oil splashes on the tips and they drip down onto the whole rocker arm and valve more directly. I would say it has to do with oiling above anything else.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

russ t-37
Cochise

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2009 :  10:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did research and they said they were used on 70 up z28's and on the famous 409's
Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2009 :  12:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bnorris_74

[/quote]
Possibly. I've also read that they are designed to lube the standard rocker arms.
If using roller rockers, the bearings in those require less lubrication so the drippers can be removed.
[/quote]
Its funny because they discontinued them as fast as they came so I bet the engineers thought they may benefit something and found no benefit at all.
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  12:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question on dripper valve covers: If they aren't needed why do most of the suppliers still sell them? Ames and others still have valve covers both ways, with or without drippers. If Pontiac only used them on 73 and later engines, would it be related to the lead reduction standards that the EPA started in 1973? If I recall, lead in the gasoline helped extend valve life but I don't see how drippers would help unless they might help keep the valves cooler. Seems like a stretch. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  12:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably an engineer over analyzing a non existent problem.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  3:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They must have improved rocker arm and valve spring oiling as these engines were being forced to run hotter at that time for emissions. They also may have cut down on leaks from valve cover gaskets.

Edited by - Phil on 31 Jul 2016 3:32:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: