Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  4:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consumer report
-
I installed an AFCO two core aluminum today and dropped the engine temps by 50 degrees. Running on the highway before netted temps at 220 and creeping up on the old stock two core radiator.
Today 84 degrees outside, never went above 170 degrees with a 160 TStat.
I also got a good deal on mine from Summit. Bought it on May 12 this month for $370.00. I looked today and the same radiator is $490.00.
Fit was perfect. AFC-80290N-1

Edited by - bnorris_74 on 16 Oct 2010 5:40:50 PM

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  8:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The newer radiator, even though 2-core, has more than double the surface area of the factory 2-core. In fact, it probably has more surface area than a factory 4-core. The tubes are probably 1" wide, no? I ran one in my 79 T/A, but it was a "universal fit"...31" x 19" 2-row. With a roller cammed 11:1 engine, it could idle all day in the staging lanes and never get over 170, even on 90+ degree days. Of course I had twin electric fans and a Mezierre electric water pump.

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  8:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, two 1-in wide tubes with 2-1/4 wide tanks. Isolators from the stock two core fit the new radiator.

The only side effect is that you can actually hear the whoosh of air coming thru the radiator at 4K RPMs. It startled me the first time I heard it. Kind of sounded like someone opened a high pressure hose under the hood. (I checked - No leaks)
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  07:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can hear that at 4K rpm, then your exhaust system isn't loud enough (LOL).

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bnorris_74

The only side effect is that you can actually hear the whoosh of air coming thru the radiator at 4K RPMs. It startled me the first time I heard it. Kind of sounded like someone opened a high pressure hose under the hood.

The "Tuner" crowd will think it's force fed!

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: