Father and Son or Father and Daughter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In recent days, I've done some thinking about the many, many things my dad (deceased) taught me about life. One of the things, relevant to my car hobby, are the things that occured in my life that allowed me to become a car guy. While my dad was not in to hot rodding, he was from a different era, he provided me with opportunities that fostered my growth in liking cars. Certainly the time that I grew up had a lot to do with my growth and interest in cars (50s and 60s) but I do think he had plenty to do with it. From teaching me to problem solve, working with my hands, crafting toward perfection, sticking with a project, allowing me to use his tools, and his enduring patience, showing me how to do stuff.

One of the biggest kicks I get from working on my cars is the "once in a while" assistance I get from my sons. I have two, one is 34 the other turns 24 this coming June. My oldest had the opportunity to learn from his grandfather (my dad); while the youngest, was still pretty young, and my dad was already in his 70s and too far away to do any mentoring with him. Both of my boys are still developing "hands on" skills.

Although my interest in cars and tools far surpasses their interest, I think they are developing in that area. My oldest son, Billy has a family and is dealing with home maintenance and repair, and has been asking me more about car related issues than ever before. He's coming to me with questions. My son Brian, is going with me to PIP. I didn't have to ask him twice, nor did I put him in a head lock to persuade him to go. This will be his third visit. His interest is growing.

I can see a young man's interest growing elsewhere too. For instance, Pontiac Matt just acquired a project car. He has displayed pictures of this car and it will take time to do. He's a young guy with ambition. I admire that. Did he bite off more than he could chew? Only time will tell, but I encourage him to stick with it. I also notice in a picture or two, his dad nearby, looking over the situation. I've been there and done that. My dad did it to me, and I now do it with my boys.

Ray Klemm has also been working with RayK jr. It's a great opportunity for both. That father and son thing is really important. Greg Miller is another guy who has worked with his daughter on cars. There's just something special when parent and child find a common interest.

What I want to do is this. Because I think it's really cool and special for parent and child to develop (bond), I plan on creating a new web page on the site with pictures showing fathers and sons or fathers and daughters working on their cars or attending car related events. A photo with a brief description of what's going on (who, what, where, why stuff) is what I'll need. I would like people to share their experiences with their kids doing car stuff.

Some of you may think this is corny, but cars really play an important role in our lives. What better way to continue with a hobby than to share that interest with a family member.

If you have a photo or two, I'll be happy to include it along with a short excerpt on what is going on and why.

Send me an email with a digital photo(s) to bboyle@boyleworks.com.

With your help, this could be a great adddition to the site and help further the hobby.

Bill Boyle

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  09:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I think this is an excellent idea. I too saw Pontiac Matt's project car. He can do it with the right encouragement from us, his friends, and family.

This is the first Mother's Day for my wife since our oldest son Harry died. It's is going to be a sad day for her. It makes me think what Harry would have been like if he had not been restricted to a wheelchair most of his life. He was an honor student and had a quick mind. I am not the most patient man, but it would have been nice to do the car thing with him.

His bother Dustin is still with us. I posted elsewhere that he asked me at Harry's funeral to finish the GTO I started years ago. I thought it was an odd time and place to say something like that. But it has worked. I am back out there slinging tools, asking questions on here, and trying to get the GTO back on it's wheels. Dustin used to ride with me on motorcycles. I really miss those times and it would be fun to share the Pontiac experience with him. He gets online and looks for stuff about Pontiacs and it's amazing what he comes up with.

Saying all that, I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day. Your cars are part of you and sharing yourself with your loved ones is one of the best things you can do.

Vance

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Edited by - Vanmor on 10 May 2009 3:03:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  10:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt has his work cut out for him. I wish him all the best. At my age, I couldn't imagine taking on that project. It's a project for me anymore just to jack the car up high enough to get my fat self under it.

Having said that, last year my son helped me put my 400 in my car. His mechanical experience is limited but he gave it his all and stuck with it. Definitely a proud memory. (He still mentions how much he hates headers). It was good to see him see a problem and come up with his solution.

My daughter, her daughter (4 yrs) and I went for a short ride last night in my car. She said: "Do you realize about everyone we pass turns their head to see your car?" My granddaughter says it beautiful, Pap Pap. LOL I also have a one year old grandson who acts like he will enjoy anything that makes noise. I fired up my car next to him last night and he didn't make a fuss, He craned his neck around the stroller to check out the commotion.

Vanmor, you have a truly sad story but heartwarming too. I can't imagine what you and your family have gone through. God bless you.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  10:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, your comments to Vance, "Vanmor, you have a truly sad story but heartwarming too. I can't imagine what you and your family have gone through. God bless you," are heartfelt.

Bill

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  8:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must be getting old or something. I remember my son Billy, as a small boy, sitting in the back seat, his spot, of the TA. He was not exactly articulate then, just a little guy, and he referred to my TA as the "Blum-Blum" car. The kid was picking up on the exhaust note at idle. No pictures of that...but I suspect many of you have similar stories, especially if you had your Pontiac while the kids were growing up. I believe my son was 4 at the time.

Years later...'96...I was pulling the TA's engine to rebuild it. My son and I had been working in the cold garage (door open) during January, wearing layers of clothing. We were at a point where everything was removed (headers included) and our next step was to detach the engine from the transmission. He took one side and I took the other side of the engine removing all the bell housing bolts. We hooked up the engine hoist and the engine didn't budge. What???? It didn't make any sense. My youngest boy was now in the garage as we debated what was the problem. My wife happened into the garage and asked what was wrong. I told her and she asked, "did you remove all the bolts?" I replied, "off course" there has to be something caught. "Did you check," she commented. "Yes," I replied. My son Billy, interjected as I recall with something like, "of course we did, I counted them." OOPS, I thought. We, soon found out the MOM was right. One bolt was not removed! She felt pretty good about it too and has brought it up several times when other mechanical things were not going well. Those moments while annoying and a bit trying at the time are "priceless." The whole family was there. Today, we laugh heartily about that one. A fitting story on Mother's Day. "Mom" to the rescue.

----
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  9:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they have to be Pontiac's?
My step-daughter just bought a 79' Chevette off my brother in law,we pick it up in a week or two. Her first car,she gets her licence in June. Very good shape for it's age,and I think this is an excellent car for her as they are easy to work on by today's standards- No A/C,no power steering,no power ANYTHING! She already asked me to show her how to change the oil and filter,and other maintainance.
My step son who will soon turn 16 already has a 92' Chevy 4x4 that he got a great deal on. He has asked me the same thing,wants to work on some projects to fix it up. He might have to wait,seeing as how his grades are going to prevent him from getting his licence till he moves out on his own!
Anyway,can we include pick's of non-Pontiac cars being worked on?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  9:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
It's amazing what kids remember. My son is 27 now.

When he was around 12 yrs old we were going fishing together with my brother and his son. We went to a bait store that I didn't ever remember going to before. He said, "remember when we were here last time?"
I told him his was mistaken but he insisted. After some long thought I finally remembered we had been there when he was round 5 yrs old. We hadn't been near this area in 7 years but he remembered it.

Makes you think. Better be careful of what you do or how you act. You think those little ones are sitting there in their own little world but they really are paying attention.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  9:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see this addition to the site Bill! And thanks for the kind words. This GTO is my second Pontiac, been workin on my 72' Lemans for a couple years now. My interest is already great, and only continues to grow. I'm just 21, and have alot to learn and experience. I love this hobby, and hope to be able to work with it for the rest of my life, maybe even make a carreer out of it!

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  9:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of a short story about my daughter, Amanda and me working at the shop on the Bird. In recent years past she was my very close buddy, being the time when she was about 9 until about 14. She is 16 now and has a boyfriend so dad being her favorite is put on the back burner. LOL. When the kids were very young their mom left so not unlike most other single fathers I am very close to all three of my kids. Anyhow, I was putting the engine back in the Bird and she wanted to help. I had ther putting the header bolts in, and although I know what a PIA this can be she has very small hands and she definately knows which way to turn a bolt!! She was using a 7/16" wrench and dropped it on the floor several times and she asked me if there was a tool that would be better to use and I told her that she is in an "inventions" class in school so come up with something. She came up with what she called a "tool tether" which consisted of one of those plastic spiral key cords" and a wrist strap which you could use to retrieve the tool in case it fell on the floor. She actually was nominated by the instructor along with four other kids from her school to enter the "inventors' olympics" along with 8 other schools in the district, plus a bunch of other schools around the state. She never got the top award but she did get an honorable mention plus a 100 dollar savings bond as a prize.

With the way things are in today's society we have to pay close attention to our children and try to do the very best we can to pass along what we have learned over the years whether it was a good lesson or a bad one. We try the best we can but ultimately they have their own decisions to make but if we can give them the "correct" thought process to rationalize the difference between right and wrong I believe most of our kids will turn out great. I'm VERY proud of all three of my kids and none of them have done anything to give me the idea they won't be good citizens at least up to this point. I'm hoping my youngest will get excited about Pontiacs, or cars in general but even if he doesn't it's okay because whatever he decides to do in life, I will be proud of him and support him as I will with the other two as well.

Bill, I think you have a great idea and as Ray & I progress on the T/A with the disassembly I will snap a few pics and send them to you. Ray was excited the other night when I had him install the rod bearings. He had no problems and it went well. Each step he accomplishes builds his confidence which makes him want to move on to the next step in the project. I think as we work with our sons/daughters on our/their projects it builds a bond plus their confidence grows and they will be able to tackle more in every day life with less hesitation. The future of our hobby rests with us and our children.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  10:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I know we're roughly 20 years apart in age, but my father was in his early 30's when I was born (34 to be precise) and it sounds like our Dad's were definately of the same generation. My father was not a "hot rodder" when I was growing up, which I think had more to do with the fact my Mother didn't go back to work until I was 10, and with Dad being the bread-winner, there just wasn't enough extra money for a "hot rodders" hobby...that and my Dad to his death never, ever had a credit card. My Mom had a Sears card and I think a Mastercard of some sort, but Dad paid cash for everything everywhere he went.

Probably the most important thing my Dad (who is also deceased) ever taught me about cars...in between showing me how to change oil, do tune-ups (real tune-ups where you set points, dwell, etc.), replace brake shoes, repack wheel bearings, etc...was in his statment "Son, if you take care of the car, the car will take care of you". He was right...taking care of the machinery was the best way the machinery would take care of you...which is probably why he didn't care too much for drag racing...he would shake his head at me for spending so much money, time, and effort to build a reliable car to drag race, mumbling something like "that boy's tearing up perfectly good equipment by drag racing it" (LOL).

I'm trying to instill these same values in my 11 year old son now. He knew his grandfather and remembers him well, and I keep telling him I'm passing on the same principles that he passed on to me...but sometimes that boyish attention span just doesn't let the message get through (LOL). He's getting better though since becoming a Boy Scout, and his interest is there in wanting me to finish the funny car.

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  11:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E-mail sent Bill, let me know if that is what your looking for.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  11:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, your e-mail addy came back as unknown from your first post.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  02:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys,

I didn't mean to bum anybody out with my story about Harry. I feel lucky to have known him and spent time with him. He was actually my stepson. But I raised him from four til he passed. He got his smarts from his mother though.

Part of the reason I like this site, is the people on here. I never feel out of place and you guys never give me any undue grief for my posts. This happens a lot on other websites. I think we can thank Bill for that. No negative vibes are allowed here.

I KNOW my GTO will be running again soon. It gives me great pleasure to say it is mostly because of this website and the people who post here.

Vance

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  06:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, that's my email address: bboyle@boyleworks.com I've used it for many years. I check it several times a day.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  06:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
67Drake--Non-Pontiac cars are ok. Not all of our kids will own Pontiacs (right away anwyay); it's the father son/ father daughter bonding that's important. If it's Pontiac all the better, but not necessary.

Ray K--"The future of our hobby rests with us and our children." You're right my friend. Oh so right!

Bill

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 11 May 2009 06:35:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  09:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Seems it went through this morning without a kick back, let me know if you received it, thanks!

Rich
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  11:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich--I received your email with the 3 picts of your little helper. Your description of what was happening or happened is what will make things come to life. Thanks for participating. That's a start. Great.

BTW, as this is a little one, no critical information about her will be revealed. We need to be mindful of that for very important reasons. Safety first.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  1:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I would deem sharing her age is OK, makes the story that much better :) Hope you can use it, she's a darling of a helper.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday mark 35 years since my Father died. I was only 4 years old when he passed. I do have two older brothers, the oldest is who I got the love of cars and music from. He Married when I was 12, and when I was younger didn't have an intereset to work on cars. So I learned for a auto motive classes got screwed by dealers, so I have learned and do more on my own cars with the help of friends and the forums. My oldest step-son is fixing his 96 Mustang GT that he wrecked, but does not have the money for the parts. He need to learn responibilaty, and I will help him when he is ready. So to you who have work with your fathers and sons or daughters treasure those moments.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  09:10:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I moved this thread to the permanent location on the forum to keep it displayed and not forgotten.

Please send me a photo or two showing involvement with your son(s) and daughter(s) with car activity and a brief description of who, what, when and why to add as a caption to any photo displayed on the future web page. [bboyle@boyleworks or bill@pontiacstreetperformance.com] If not in digital form, a real photograph: 630 NW 71 Ave, Plantation, Fl 33317. I'll return the photo after it's scanned.

I don't know what the title of the webpage is going to be yet--I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks guys,

Bill

Go to Top of Page

riptor
Buffalo

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was 15 I told my dad (deceased) I wanted him to look at a GTO that was for sale and he said "Son, do you know what G.T.O. stands for?" No, I didn't. He said "Gas, Tires, & Oil!" He gave me the 289 64 Fairlane 500 when I turned 16. But, when I was uderachieving in the 10th grade, he made me an offer: If I made A's & B's the rest of the way through he would buy me "Any kind of car I wanted within reason." Well, that was some motivation! When I found out a Corvette wasn't within reason but a Trans Am was, I asked for a black 78 TA 6.6 4-speed. He got me an automatic. That was probably a good move at the time. It is still the best car I ever owned and he wound up liking it too.
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2009 :  9:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, can you bring your camera to PITP? Joni should be there Friday with her Firebird, and would be a great photo op. She is going to run down the track for the first time, I can't wait. I treasure the times that she and I spent and spend together, and I guess Marines and Pontiacs rubbed off!

Greg

"...if I change one more thing, I'm sure I can squeeze out another 5hp.."
Go to Top of Page

WDCreech
Sitting Bull

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  12:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Admin

[navy][font=Comic Sans MS]Today, I moved this thread to the permanent location on the forum to keep it displayed and not forgotten.

Please send me a photo or two showing involvement with your son(s) and daughter(s) with car activity and a brief description of who, what, when and why to add as a caption to any photo displayed on the future web page. [bboyle@boyleworks or bill@pontiacstreetperformance.com] If not in digital form, a real photograph: 630 NW 71 Ave, Plantation, Fl 33317. I'll return the photo after it's scanned.

How about, we just post the pictures here? This is my son, and crew chief, standing behind my car:

And here he is, just over the hoodscoop:

Bill
64 tube chassis GTO, 606 cu" IA tall deck, Superchief heads, glide, 2750lbs, 8.2550 @ 164.17, 1.1981-60'

Edited by - WDCreech on 14 May 2009 12:19:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  3:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any word on this little feature?

Rich
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  11:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the true story of how I fell in love with GTO's.

It was the summer of 1968 in the metropolis of Borger, Texas, and a rep from the local bank who arranged financing for my dad's used car business and customers paid us a visit. He wondered if he might store a couple of repossessed cars on our lot until he could arrange for their disposition. Well, it's good to be friendly with your banker so of course we said yes. Within an hour or so there were two GTO's sitting on the lot behind our office out of view. One was a maroon '66, the other was a metallic orchid '65. You know the color. It looked good until the paint started to oxidize, at which point it could best be described as "metallic puke". Both were 389 4-speed cars. Because I helped my dad there during the summer and on weekends, I had a set of keys to the place, so it didn't take long for me to make plans with a buddy for a late-night test drive. By chance we chose the orchid '65. Now you have to understand that the fastest car I'd ever driven up to that point was a '62 Ford Fairlane with a 'mighty' 221 inch V8 and "three on the tree". I was totally unprepared for what my right foot was about to unleash. Pulling away from a stop sign and two gear changes later, with the tach needle passing 5000 RPM in third gear, we were flying down a narrow residential street well north of the posted speed limit - for the highway. Eyes as big as saucers, unable to comprehend or prepare for a car that would accelerate that hard in such a short distance, our next problem was the big red stop sign at the end of the block, where the street intersected the main highway coming through town. There was no way on earth I was going to get that car stopped in the distance I had left. I locked up all four wheels and slid, sideways, through the intersection, across four lanes of traffic, and off onto the shoulder on the other side of the highway. By some miracle, there had been no traffic, we hadn't hit anything, and the car was still upright. As the GTO settled down onto its suspension, surrounded by a huge cloud of dust and miscellaneous falling debris, I looked over at my buddy who was as white as a ghost and exclaimed, "I have GOT to have one of THESE!".
I've been in love with GTO's ever since.

My dad was a very wise man. He knew that putting me in a car like that at my age then would have been a very bad idea, so my forays into the world of muscle had to be limited to the occasional late night excursion with whatever hot car we might have had in inventory at the time. He probably knew all about it, but we both pretended I was getting away with it.

Years later as I was about to graduate from college, I found a nice 69 GTO for sale by the second owner. It was a YS 400, TH400 car with a vinyl top and air. It had been repainted metallic blue but had orginally been Palladium Silver. My dad and I bought the car together, and though I didn't know it then, it was going to be the last car we ever bought together before he died in 1980. I still miss him.

It was my only transportation for years. I was married by then and moved to Dallas in 1981. My first son, Ben, was born in 1983. While he was still in diapers, I decided to restore the car and began a complete frame-off on it. Here's a photo of him while I was still taking it apart:

http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/mechanic.jpg

I got started, then life had other plans for me, and it had to sit, untouched, for more than 20 years. While he was growing up, Ben and I shared lots of "car stuff" together. We never missed the old Diamond P coverage of NHRA events. I've still got drawers full of VHS tapes of them. Ben liked Pro Stock, and had the names of the drivers, make and model of their cars, and team sponsor all memorized long before he even started school. He was a big Bruce Allen fan and used to glare at me whenever I'd root for Bob Glidden. For years we never missed a national event at the Motorplex while he was growing up, he even made a few passes on E.T. nights whatever he was driving at the time, once he got his license. In recent years though, for some reason big time NHRA racing has lost it's appeal to both of us. I'm not sure why. I'd rather watch Pinks All Out.

About two years ago, the planets lined up so that I was able to get going on the GTO again. Ben's grown, graduated from college, and working for a living now but he still comes over and helps out when he can.

http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/Mechanic_002.jpg
(That's the same pair of channellocks)

Most recently, he helped me put the motor together (he buttoned up the bottom end, put on the heads, helped set the intial valve lash) and as soon as the headers arrive, we'll be taking it up to find out what we've got.
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_0023.jpg
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_3200.jpg

He's a capable young man now. I still like it a lot on those occasions when he calls dad for some advice though :)

My younger son, Jon, didn't inherit the car gene. It's not that he's not capable - he still does most of his own basic maintenance - it's just that it's not as fun for him as it is us, although if I grumble enough he'll come out and help me now and then too. He's more of a 'computer' guy (gets that from me, as well) and has tons of ability there. I'm extremely proud of them both.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  7:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bear, your story is funny, and I think most of us can relate. My name is Randall I'm 31 and as you may have guessed, I hail from the windy city. I bet every one of us has had at least one person disapprove of us buying a fast car (esp. our parents). When I bought my 70 GTO my dad gave me a tounge lashing, telling me its a "money pit" and its a "ticket machine". I was 21 in 2000 when I got it and I can understand now why he was so agaist me gettin the car back then. I got into Pontiacs on accident, no one in my familiy has the "gearhead" gene, plus none of my friends growing up had any influence for that matter. I was't into cars until I bought a gold colored 79 Firebird Formula 400 when I was 19. After high school I went to trade school for HVAC and got hired as an apprentice for a small co. (a pair of brothers and their old man), instead of learning the trade, immediately I got distrcted because all they would talk about his how they're fixing their cars up and who's faster (Pontiac vs. Ford). So needless to say, I got the bug from them. After working for only 6 months, I saved up enough to start shopping for a my first car and without a doubt I knew I wanted a Pontiac because my old boss was never shy to show off his wicked fast 78 T/A built 455 4-speed. I got let go in early 2000 because worked slowed down for them, at this time I had so much interest in Pontiacs that I sat on unemployment and started attenting UTI thinking that would be a better career, long story/short... I dropped out 1/2 way through the course to take a promising job with a larger mechanical contractor of whom I'm still employed today.

I love my mom and dad and of course they're now very excepting of my hobby. I'm happily married and have a wonderful 5 1/2 year old named Brandon. I plan on passing on the Pontiac bug onto him. Here's two pics. of me and him, as you can see he had taken a liking to the car since he was an infant. Now he loves it as much I do and I'm sure the best is yet to come.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

bob40
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  2:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice looking cars. i have two sons also that are interested in working on cars. i have a little girl that seems to be more interested in cars than her brothers though. she always follows me out the door whenever i have to work on the car and asks many questions about how things work etc.

Go to Top of Page

bob40
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2013 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can learn alot from our parents.

http://www.audiusamotors.com
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  10:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wife found a coupon for the dreaded family photos. Then insisted i post a pic since i spend so much time on here PC. Seams like the new digital cameras are less prone to breakage than the old school camera's. So here we go.

And have a Happy Thanksgiving

[URL=http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/BluedandPainted/media/IMG_zps58a52ef4.jpg.html][/URL]

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 25 Nov 2013 09:49:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: