Single & Multi-Stage Paints
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

TonyW
Buffalo

47 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  5:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though I have since found the original Ditzler / PPG and Du Pont paint codes for 1966 I am now butting heads with the paint shop who is advising against single stage paint in favour of multi stage or a paint that has to be clear coated after application. Doing the work or application of a single or multi stage product is not the issue for the paint shop but rather the color matching from the original single stage to new generation urethaynes requiring clear coating is--this provided I fully am understanding what I am being told. I just want a Platinum Silver 1966 GTO convertible the way God and Pontiac intended it to be. Anyone been through this process or run into the same seeming "snag" as I am? Sure could use some direction right about now.

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  07:13:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tony,

When it was time to consider new paint for my 79 TA, the first thing I did was visit several shops asking them how much it would cost me to do a first rate paint job on my car. Each shop gave me a quote, none of them provided details on what system they would use. The cost issue was to compare what they would charge me versus doing it myself. With some knowledge in hand, I visited my local paint supply shop and told the counterman the color I wanted to match. We checked it out in the Dupont book. That's the product he sold. Suprisingly, enamel, single stage and lacquer is what would match. The lacquer product was not a base coat clear coat system. As I was to do this job myself and had no spray booth I inquired further with Dupont. Eventually, I met with a Dupont sales representative and with his assistance, concocted a lacquer clear coat system that would match my original paint. The ingredients were different than the old lacquer system which I had used many times before on other cars that I personally painted without a spray booth. The paint product was not as good as the newer paint systems sold by Dupont, but it was as good as it was going to get as I wanted the original color and would not come of that position. If I had changed the color, I would have had a very durable 2-stage paint on my car. What is important about this story is this happened in 1992. That's a long time ago for paints.

I was bent on using Dupont. If Ditzler doesn't provide the color you want, somebody else probably does in a good base coat clear coat system. Stuff that is as good or better than what is put on new cars today. The paint I used in '92 was not lethal. All OSHA required was a good mask with canister. The good durable stuff requires a full suit with air supply. It did than and does now. I suggest you consult with your paint shop and ask them what other paint they can find that will match your desired color. Application should be no different or hardly different. Cost of the product may be higher though. If you're going to spend the money on a first rate paint job, don't settle for something other than what you want.

The paint I sprayed on my TA was very forgiving. It came out nearly perfect. Now if the car lived under glass on a museum floor, it would still look nearly perfect today. However, the lacquer type paint I used with clear coats chips easily. It has succumb to chipping due to pebbles behind the door and on locations near the front of the car. Pebbles kicked up on the highways have been the culprit. My show car finish "aint" anymore. Personally, I'm disapppointed. Why, because I spent so much time prepping the body and applying precision undercoats. What a job. Moreover, considering the amount of street time the car has seen, there should be far less nicking to the paint. I've put maybe 6000 miles on the car since the new paint job. My street cars with 80K miles have insignificant chipping. My 20 year old truck, with an enamel paint job and 220,000 miles that included driving in Alaska on dirt roads for 3 years has about as much as the street cars we drive.

Don't settle for something that will not make you happy.

A single stage paint is durable, but it may not have the same high quality luster seen on today's cars. Keeping talking with your paint shop.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

jim k
Buffalo

78 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the newer single stage paints are quite durable today. i prefer the ppg paint to the dupont. one thing that you should know about single stage paint is that if it has mettalic in it ....dont know if your platinum silver does....it should NOT be color sanded ( sanding it smooth with super-fine paper and buffing it out ). that will screw up the mettalic. if the paint has mettalic and is to be color sanded , base clear system must be used. if you want the car to look "as it came from the factory " , enamel paint is the way to go. it will not shine like the newer paints and the " orange peel " should be left as sprayed. cars from the sixties did not come with super nice shiny paint like they do today.

Edited by - jim k on 06 Jul 2006 4:10:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kiwi Mal
Cochise

New Zealand
690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  01:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bill. I had my car painted with base clear coat lacquer and the paint chips very easily and I can see why he is dissapointed. I think the 2nd gen f bodies tend to throw stones at themselves particualy if you have wider rims and tires in them ,perhaps the GTO does not, still you have to be so carefull working on the car. If I paintd it again I would use a different system. Cheers Malcolm

Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  02:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would never use anything that is not a base coat clear coat in todays age. These paints are the best and you should be able to find the color with other brands. The PPG clear has UV protection and acid rain protection. Silver is one of the hardest paints to spray without modeling and it also is one of the most susceptible to fading.
My vote BC/CC. Hands down!!
Go to Top of Page

TonyW
Buffalo

47 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  3:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To make it even more fun / complicated we are blending in (or at least going to try to ) some pearl....hope it works!
Go to Top of Page

66GTO Jim
Tribal Scout

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  09:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tony,

I had a musclecar painted (not my GTO) 5 years ago with DuPont Chroma Premier basecoat and DuPont Chroma Clear clearcoat. Multiple coats. It still looks like it was just painted yesterday. It is very deep in color (red with black stripes). Never fails to draw a crowd at Cruises and everyone is amazed at the quality and depth of the paint. No nicks or scratches, very durable. I would recommend this system to anyone who wants a great paint job. Of course that is assuming the proper prep of body work and sanding is done!

For color match, I would go to an Auto Paint store to have them match the original color codes, don't rely on the painter for this. My painter actually sent the cowl of the car to DuPont to match it and it came out exactly the same color, only deeper and brighter. We used the top of the line basecoat/clearcoat system from DuPont at that time,it probably still is, not sure. So it was expensive$$$. But unlike changing carbs or heads, paint is something you only want to do once and so the added expense was definitely worth it.

I have had my current GTO for 18 years and it has not been painted since I have had it so I don't know what paint system was used. It still looks good so I have been holding off repainting it. When I do decide to paint it, I will use the top of the line from DuPont as I did on the "other" musclecar. Just my two cents. Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: