New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

67 le mans
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  9:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm re- restoring my '67 Le Mans and I still have THE original engine. A 326 non-H.O I want to know who has built strong running 326 motors and what they've done to make 'em run! I've had a Ram Air Olds small block for over 20 yrs and love picking on big blocks with my small block. I have the 326 on the stand and would love to hear some 326 success stories.

goatasaurus rex
Sitting Bull

160 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  9:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont mean to be a downer but i dont think you are going to hear too many "success" stories about hard charging 326's. the engine parameters dont lend themselves very well to performance builds. forget what you have heard about stroking one. the very small bore is the buttonhole. store it under the bench and build the biggest motor you can( 428+). dollar for dollar they are the best horsepower you can build.

rex
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
2727 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  06:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You aren't going to pick on anyone except a Yugo(or maybe a 301) with a 326.Sorry....just the facts.

Ted Nugent/Phil Robertson in 2016.
Go to Top of Page

67 le mans
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  06:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know that there is no replacement for displacment but I'm an underdog fan. I'm not lookin for 12's from the 326 but am lookin to have a reliable and stout motor. If the H.O. made 285 hp, why then can't I do some cool head porting, rollerize the valve train, upgrade cam profile and bump up the compression to possibly reach the 325- 335 hp range?? Will it just grenade on me?
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hardest running 326 I've ever seen was in a 1960's style '54 Studebaker gasser named "The Frog"...it ran high 11's. Don't get your hopes up though, this car was superlight. All of the things you mentioned would increase power. You just have to ask yourself why you want to keep a LeMans numbers matching with a 326 when it will take less effort (and money) to make more power with a 400" or larger engine.

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2188 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  08:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

326 responds to the same modifictions as any other engine, just not as much... The bore is too small for the heads to "work".

A small cam, good intake and exhaust, a little port work, and yes, 300-plus HP is "doable". As others have said, though, spending exactly the same money on a 400 would "net" you a whole lot more power.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
6194 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know a local repair shop owner who has always claimed he built a streetable 600hp 326 "back in the day".

Recently, I discovered he also tells folks he completed medical school to become a heart surgeon.

The 326 story just took a turn for the worse...

"Chevy": even the name sounds cheap.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
2727 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  12:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil...is he now known as the "Grand Terrace Grenade builder"?

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1683 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  01:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a 326 stored in my garage, for when gas hits $5 a gallon again. When it does, I'll sell the 326 to the scrap yard and use the money toward a few gallons of gas, hahahaha. Seriously, to it's credit, my old 2bbl 326 actually got very decent mileage and was a very good daily driver motor. As for your 326 project, I agree with Mr. P. Go ahead and do a mild street build like a torque cam and small diameter headers but don't go crazy. In this day and age, it might be cool to build your 326 as "green" as possible and go for trying to squeeze 25+mpg out of your LeMans. Or if you want performance, since most Pontiacs look roughly the same at a glance, go ahead and build up at least a 389 and tell your friends it's the 326.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
2727 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  01:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was my car,i'd yank the 326 & trans,crate them up,stuff them in a corner and find a 389 or bigger block and go from there.

Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  04:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the key word here is "restoration". I see that as restoring the car to like new/original condition.

People are always asking about my GTO "restoration". I tell them it's not a restoration and they look confused. I guess it's subjective.

In a way it is a resotration. I'm just cleaning it up and putting it back the way I bought it. Correcting a few things here and there like wood screws used for bolts.

That being said, a "green" LeMans getting 25 mpg would be a different direction. Excellent Hot Rod Power Tour car.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: