New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  11:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iam experiencing what sounds like the same problem as nyracer. I also have an accel HEI only about a year old. The motor suddenly seems to hesitate with irratic misfire. It never happens at full throttle but is a definate missing when part. It seems to happen the worst at 1900-2300 rpm. All vacume lines should be fine as I just replaced and checked them while digging into this problem. I dont know what my next step should be? Thinking about ditching the accel and getting a new dist. but don't wanna spend a ton either. Any ideas/suggestions?

Robb Hermes

RayK
Cochise

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  1:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the advance weights to make sure they are not sticking and are returning fully? Check the shaft for bushing play as well. Are you sure it isn't fuel related?
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
572 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  3:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Accel was real popular when I was a kid in the 70s. That yellow stuff was on every car. I never ever see Accel stuff anymore. It's either MSD (heard bad stuff about that too) or stock.

Maybe it's something simple like the cap or wires. Check em close.

I am using my Delco HEI. I've always had good luck with them.

Vance

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Edited by - Vanmor on 25 Apr 2009 3:02:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  8:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iam almost sure it isn't fuel related, I just through on a new fuel filter and pressure guage at the carb also when the problem arose and it seems perfectly fine. Iam though running my old mechanical fuel pump but that never gave me issues before. I'll check through the dist. guts tomorrow and let you guys know what was found. Again, thanks for the help.

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  9:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely check the dist. I chased a miss like yours through my fuel system for a long time and it ended up being my points were bad.(and the points were only 6 months old).

Brian
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2009 :  9:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked/cleaned the weights and springs, fine to begin with. replaced plugs and wires. Installed a new fuel pump cause wanted to upgrade anyways. Cleaned up the holley which was virtually spotless minus a little varnish on bowl bottom. and still the same problem, irratic misses from about 1800 rpm and up. HELP!?! WHAT TO DO NEXT??

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2009 :  10:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, the only thing it seems it could be is irratic distibutor operation. ohh yeah, I cant seem to find a name on the what I thought was an accel distributor either? Iam not familiar with any methods to test distributors.

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
6378 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  10:12:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pitts, where are your faces after your post?

When I switched from points to HEI's back in the early 80's I never looked back. The points were without a doubt more troublesome and unreliable than a good HEI. They needed periodic adjustments, didn't like the moisture at times depending on the weather, bounced around at higher rpms and were a PITA to change without pulling the distributer.

I remember there being problems with the early HEI rotors burning through, but that was corrected early in the game when GM changed to a different material to construct the rotor.

However, I agree with you 100% that there are alot of gimmick distributer and ignition products out there. The GM HEI is not one of them however.

Now, having said all that: I am saving my old points distributers in case I want some added security from an electromagnetic weapon from Big Brother in the future.

"Chevy": even the name sounds cheap.

Edited by - Phil on 11 May 2009 5:49:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
2854 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  5:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pitts64

Put the points distributor back in. It's superior to the HEI or any of the "gimmick" distributors out there designed to get your money from your pockets..

This statement is catagorically FALSE.Even the "Big Body" HEI which is the worst of the HEi"lot" is vastly superior ANY points set-up.

www.davessmallbodyheis.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: