Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

omologatto
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  06:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all fellow Pontiac addicts! Name's Chris and new to this forum but not to the great world of the greatest hobby on earth...PONTIAC ownership!!!!!!!!! I live in California, have owned my 69' g.t.o for the past 21 years. started out as my high school hot rod with a mild 400 and now has a 70' 455 bored .60 over zero decked with # 96 ported heads on top with an Edelbrock port matched torquer 2 and Holley 850. My Dad and I have owned several Pontiacs over the years including 65' gto convertible 428 tri power, a cpl 66' gto's, 67' gto, 67' Lemans with a 455 worked to a 474 with Butler E-heads, 68' gto, 69' Lemans and several other muscle cars! I absolutley love Pontiac's and can't get enough of them. I have done quite a bit to my gto over the years including removing the front clip and all the interior including the dash and all the glass and doors for restoration.

Chris McLelland
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  07:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another Pontiac guy--great! With your GTO experience you will be a good source for other GTO enthusiasts. Welcome aboard.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 09 Feb 2013 07:27:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  1:59:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Chris. Hope to hear more and mabey see some pic's of your project.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cowboy
Buffalo

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

New member here. Got my first pontiac in1977 it was a73 firebird 350 I found a 1965 three deuce set up put it on . Ithought it was way cool, no longer have the car but still have the three deuces. About 14 years ago l found a 70 firebird ben working on it ever sence.

Edited by - cowboy on 17 Feb 2013 7:23:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Apache Rich
Tribal Scout

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  2:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy everybody, just a little bit about myself. I've been in the US Army for a little over 32 years and finally have arrived at a post that I can stay a while. I've alwas dreamed of owning another Pontiac and finally found one a 70 Esprit basket case with fantastic paint and not much of anythinfg else. It does have a 400/400 with 6X heads. I'm missing all kinds of parts and hope you guys maybe able to help me locate the missing ones. I've owned a 67 Camaro (first car at 14) and a 85 Trans Am. I've always wanted a second gen to build how I wanted and now I have one! I've spent two weeks on the Forum reading all of the posts and think I have the rules down. Please be patient with me and steer me in the right direction if I get off track. Thanks

Apache Rich
Go to Top of Page

cowboy
Buffalo

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  12:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Rich.
Go to Top of Page

Jack_77GP
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  01:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the the Pontiac world, most of my previous experience on engines is with Ford Powerstroke diesels. I bought a 77 Grand Prix LJ from a coworker a couple years ago. I'm the third owner, the car is totally stock with about 103,000 miles on the 400. Previous owner hit a deer with it, so the grille has been replaced from a donor car and it needs paint and a little body work, but the interior is almost perfect. After driving it all over for the first summer I had a lifter go out. I got the car home, replaced the offending part and buttoned it back up to get it moving under its own power again, knowing that some more work is required before it should be driven much. It's basically been sitting in the barn ever since. I've read Jim Hand's book several times and read through Rocky Rotella's new edition as well. I've read through Cliff Ruggles' book on quadrajets too, but I think i need to pull mine off the car and have it in front of me while I read to really make sense of how carburetors work at a functional level (it's quite a change coming to carbs from a direct-injected turbocharged setup). Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting a little advice and guidance on getting the 400 running properly again, and would like to tighten up the car's handling a bit as well. I think I've found the right place for information as I get a little further into my build. Thanks, -Jack

77 Grand Prix LJ, 400, T-tops.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Pontiac Street Performance Jack. Feel free to ask questions. Lots of people here who have worked on Pontiacs on and off for many, many years, and most are willing to share their experiences to make problem solving for others easier.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Jack. I've repaired many Q-jets and considered myself good untill i read cliff's book. Yes the recipe pages make no sense untill you locate and measure all the jets, tubes, restrictions, and air bleeds. On a stock build the most important things are, a good working acc pump and check ball, a good choke pull-off, both throtle plates open to, and stop at 90 degrees, and the opening angle and tention on the top secondary plate.
I new the primary shaft bushing kit would reduce air leakage, but i was suprized to find it reduced the twisting effort needed to fully open the carb by 50%. Yes it turns way smoother. Well worth the time and effort.

You also might consider if your only planning on doing one carb to get on cliff's waiting list now.
By the time you buy the carb kit, good acc pump, bushing kit, pull-off, 2 sets of wire guage drill bits (not the crapy cheepo chinees bits), it's not that much more to let cliff do it. Just anothe option. I personaly like tinkering with stuff and needed some drill bits anyway.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 19 Mar 2013 11:08:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

MirageSmack
Tribal Scout

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  10:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've posted a few times, but not in this thread. I'm Stephan, have owned 77 cars in my lifetime, (soon to be 78) but still have the first car I ever owned. I bought my '67 GTO Convertible when I was 15, and hid it in my friends back yard for 2 years waiting for dad to let me get my license. He wouldn't have approved at age 15, like any sane dad I guess. I did buy 3 more '67's by the time I was 18, one even picked out by my dad. He died shortly thereafter and never knew about this one though.

I was hot'n heavy in the GTO scene back then, thought I knew my stuff and so did others. They called me "Mr GTO", I was a parts collector, and after I left the GTO scene, people still called me for 10-15 years looking for parts. Once guy to this day stops by every 6 months wanting to buy my car, I just avoid him at this point. I started to rebuild this convertible in about '83, my high school senior year. It came with a Buick motor and powerglide (actual PG, not the Pontiac unit), and the owner used it for a "farm vehicle", just tooted around his property in it, often with top kept down. It has the rust to show for it. I drove it that way for awhile, dropped in another '67 400 with Tri-power in for awhile, then pulled it off the road to restore/rebuild. I had a '69 RAIII sitting around, so I rebuilt that in '83 I think, but it has never been started to this day. The days of me turning it over by hand ended about 20 years ago. I built it for the time, #12 heads, ported, 10.75 compression, 4.33 to go in, unknown cam since I have forgotten, Isky or Erson I think, made to RAIV specs with 1.65 rockers. (PS I forgot to elongate the shafts back then, I never knew about that). I scored a NOS '73 SD455 big Q-jet a while later and it sits on top, though never had fluid through it. Then life intervened.

First it was getting all my valuable parts stolen and pissing me off, then losing the other 3 GTO's and getting pissed off again, then college, a family, kid's school and college, you guys know the routine. Ultimately, it was really interest that I lost. Only recently have I got the desire to complete what I started back then, but updated to the times. I still want it to go fast as hell, but want to update the trans to OD, disc brakes, suspension, frame, etc, but still look mostly stock. I want it the color I want, not the color it is. The world needs another red convertible with white interior like a hole in the head. I'm not going pro-touring, more like a resto-mod with most of the mod hidden. It's not a numbers matching car now and I don't want the hassle of making it one or having to pay stupid prices for #'s parts. Those days are over. I missed all my good years with the car, and want to enjoy the ones I have left with it once it is done. I want what I want. I can't believe the parts available now, what I would have done with this stuff back then. Guys new to the scene can't imagine how hard it was finding parts in printed classified ads back then, for a Pontiac even that few folks owned. Anyway, I am glad for the changes.

I am still not ready to turn wrenches yet, just gathering info and parts. My kid is in med school and I need her to get a little closer to the end. Plus she plays college ball and I travel to every game, which takes a chunk of time and money. There's no point in starting anything till I am ready. My dilemma is figuring out exactly what I want to do with it, namely the motor. What I have now won't work without the 98 leaded gas it was made for. I will be doing a frame off, but I have obstacles; namely lack of proper tools, my own garage (it's still in my moms, I am 47), lack of hands on experience with what needs done like paint and welding, plus a few others as well. I want a Poncho engine, no LS stuff, but want modern speed stuff like alum heads, cams, etc, maybe even an alum block. I will have the engine and trans built elsewhere while I focus on the rest myself, and have an engine guy in mind, namely CVMS. I really want the car to handle, a focus of mine these days, and want to put the car on a diet to do so.

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but I like to read crap like this from others so why not write it myself? I'll be needing a lot of help along the way. I thought I knew my stuff but now realize I have a ton of catching up to do, I feel lost. I haven't asked much yet because I don't have a direction figured out, but hope to in the next year or so. This forum seems open to my direction I think, which is why I am here, some forums aren't. I don't really have a budget, I will buy what I need to buy to get what I want. I'm not wealthy, but I have several life goals, and two of them are related. One goal is I want to finish my GTO, and another goal is I want to die broke. Finishing this car seems like a way to accomplish both. Thanks for your time!

Edited by - MirageSmack on 15 May 2013 8:22:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  08:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stephan--Long comments are fine--I do it myself most of the time when responding to questions or even asking my own. Words are important, so is punctuation. Describing problems and answering them sometimes requires more than a "nope" or "yep" answer.

Welcome to PSP.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 13 May 2013 08:28:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  08:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Boyle

Stephan--Long comments are fine--I do it myself most of the time when responding to questions or even asking my own. Words are important, so is punctuation. Describing problems and answering them sometimes requires more than a "nope" or "yep" answer.

Welcome to PSP.

Yep
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  10:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to PSP Stephan. You long winded guy's are killing me. I sit here typing at 23 WPM with 23 errors. And thats using ALL the fingers. Do you guy' have a hot secretary with good short hand skills. Or some kind of voice activated typing App. Fortunately, Bill is good at summerizing, so i just skip to the last paragraph.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Typing--geez, I never thought about it. In Jr. High School, (7th grade) we had some optional classes to take. Boys could take wood shop, metal shop, electrical shop and ceramics. It was rudimentary stuff, but I took all of them. Then they (the school) thought it wise to allow the boys to take home economics. My mother also thought it was a good idea. Another elective was typing class.

So, when the time came for me to take "other" electives, I took home economics and later typing. As it turns out, the only area that I'm usually lost in is electrical. In home ec we learned how to wash clothes, iron, and cook. We were paired in groups of 4 boys. We had a blast--we laughed our butts off. That's how we handled things since we were all a bit embarrassed to be forced to take it.

I recall going to typing class for the first time and sitting in a large room with Remington typewriters, and a gaggle of girls. There were maybe 5 boys and 20 girls. As it turned out, some of us boys were better at typing than the girls. I'm sure that was also true in home ec, but we didn't have mixed company. Ah, yes, the things we learned that eventually came in handy.

So, while I've had secretaries who could read my scribble and type it out, also transcribing dictation into typed words and documents, I knew had to type, could type, and while not as proficient, could keep the ship afloat when necessary.

My Mom told me that learning how to do lots of things would come in handy. She was right of course.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 13 May 2013 12:02:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

MirageSmack
Tribal Scout

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2013 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found a few typos in there, but they have been fixed. I am long winded, only to try and get the facts out there. Boom - it's done, don't need to type that stuff again.

PS That took all day to write by the way. I type fast enough, but am so busy that I had to keep starting and stopping. Drove to St Louis and back to pick my kid up, a 13 hour trip, all while writing that post. Thanks for the welcome, I have been diligently reading your old posts for the last month, can't wait till I get to the end of the internet.

Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  01:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mirage, things have changed since the 80s. Myself like you were into Pontiac bigtime throughout. No kids, no college but lots of first gen birds a second gen Trans Am, a 3rd Gen GTA and a 1968 GTO. I have always kept my first 3 Birds though. Everyone always came to me with their Pontiac problems and I would always solve them and fast. Every one of my cars run high compression heads which contrary to a fews belief, you can run pump gas with these heads. And by the way, your 10.75 is closer to 10.25 or 10.1 as Pontiac cheated their compression advertisements by .5
After 28 years of Pontiacs, build , racing, painting,etc, I got bored and am now bulding hotrods. I think because they are more challenging and you can be more creative. My most fun car I have is my 1968 Bird with a stock 400 with stock #16 heads that does 12.5s in the quarter on pump gas and 11.75s on nitrous. It could be used as a daily driver but having 11 cars, it now spends most of its life sitting. Maybe when I get bored with Hotrods, I will actually build a killer 10 second pump gas Bird as I actually have every part to build one . Anyway, get that Goat running with what you have and fix it as you go!! It might just stir you up to start creating memories with it again!! I put 536,000 miles on one of my birds before going through it all. Now it just sits but looks new again.

Edited by - sixt8bird on 16 May 2013 01:14:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  1:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got kind of burnt out building hot rod stuff, mine and helping with others in the local car club, because when i had a problem i could just "make a bracket" or "do it this way" and even if it looked clean, i felt i was cheating or rigging it because "that's not how the factory did it."

Now restoring stuff to factory, way more expensive, but doing it their way requires a lot of attention to detail and it feels right when done. It's also easiest to do because you just follow the assembly or service manual, and now with the internet you can get details with parts perfect to factory like never before.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other day in a few years or so, and i'll miss the custom work and designing my own stuff, and be bored with the stock stuff i had been working on.

Edited by - cortcomp on 16 May 2013 1:02:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  12:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

I got kind of burnt out building hot rod stuff, mine and helping with others in the local car club, because when i had a problem i could just "make a bracket" or "do it this way" and even if it looked clean, i felt i was cheating or rigging it because "that's not how the factory did it."

Now restoring stuff to factory, way more expensive, but doing it their way requires a lot of attention to detail and it feels right when done. It's also easiest to do because you just follow the assembly or service manual, and now with the internet you can get details with parts perfect to factory like never before.

I'm sure the pendulum will swing the other day in a few years or so, and i'll miss the custom work and designing my own stuff, and be bored with the stock stuff i had been working on.

When you build Hotrod stuff, you make everything!! LOL!! Thats what started the whole car scene. You ripped out all the crappy stock stuff and built things that functioned better and you did it yourself. Anyone can buy a factory bracket and bolt it on but true Hotrodders made pretty much everything.
i just spent a bunch of time building my own brake system . I actually have a hidden power brake booster with a master cyclinder facing 90 degrees under the dash of my 1929 Willys Whippet. I made my own bell crank out of an old hanging brake and clutch pedal from a model A set up and had to cut and weld the forged steel to my own configuration.Making your own suspension etc etc takes alot of thought compared to stock. Hotrods are never stock. I don't get any satisfaction buying a factory bracket from Ebay and unbolting the old POS original part and bolting the new old stock overpaid part. I'll let others do this if thats what they want. That said, I do buy all the stock stuff for me 3 68 Birds when they need them on some of the items.
I love vintage Hotrods from the 40s and 50s. Thats where it started and my life now revolves around these people and cars. Most of the guys are down to earth willing to share, never critique others builds and are always cruising without the pompus stuck up people that have more money than sense and know nothing about cars but are always the "Look at me " guys. Also building hotrods to be just like the 50s can be very very expensive. Ever look at Flatheads with tripple strombergs and wonder what that is worth? Big dollars!! Thats just one example. Some brake set ups that if you can find them cost over $3,000 just for the brakes. A Banjo rear end with a 2 speed Columbia rear end is at least $3,000. A set of Appleton spot lights just sold on Ebay for $1500!! It isn't cheap building period correct Hotrods!!!
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  09:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Period correct cars cost way more than most realize...i have come across some seemingly blah parts worth tons to the right people.

The part i enjoyed most was suspension systems really, i made a killer watts linkage setup for the 50 chevy i had....i always felt it lacked polish and looked hokey, as well designed as it was. When i went to sell the car, someone bought it just for that setup and the rear coil conversion i did, so they could have a great riding car on one of the cross country tours. He and his friend were really e.xcited about getting the chassis, even though the body was great and the car had other (in my mind) more important features. Made me feel like my work was at least on par with other customizers.
Go to Top of Page

oneday68birdbuild
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  12:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here it goes, my name is William Artrip, I live up in the mountains of NC, I am a 48 year old dreamer and proud owner of a 1968 400 NOS equipped firebird. The car was 100% complete when I picked it up down in central FL. Unfortunately however, I only got to drive the car a few times before it threw a rod through the side of the block. Needless to say I was crushed! The motor that is in the car looks as if it was a fairly fresh rebuild. I say that because it was freshly painted black and looked to have all new gaskets (head, intake, oil pan, etc..) In the few times I drove the car I never got the NOS to work. I had planned on getting it to someone that knew more about it than me to get it going for me. But?.that obviously never happened. Upon inspecting the motor to find out what had happened I found the guilty culprit was a broken motor mount that caused it to throw the rod. Now I know what you?re thinking, how in the world could a motor mount cause the motor to throw a rod? Well, it?s like this, the motor has headers on it and when the driver?s side motor mount broke it let the motor drop far enough so that one of the headers landed on the steering box and collapsing that one header pipe. Hence severely restricting exhaust flow from that one cylinder which allowed it to build up too much backpressure and causing it to throw the rod on that cylinder. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion of what happened. But that?s the only thing that made any sense seeing as the car was running fantastic up to that tragic event. But anyway, since it threw the rod 5 years ago the car has just sat on a trailer in my yard. I look at it all the time and dream about the day when I am able to actually afford to begin working on it. It?s really sad to see her just sitting there. Anyway, last year I started looking for a used 400 block hoping that I could just swap out most of the parts from the 400 that I already have. During that time I picked up a complete (all original and bone stock) 1969 428 YH motor for practically nothing. I have that motor on an engine stand in the garage. I have read all kinds of wonderful things about the 428 motors and would really love to make this one my first build. But I am literally scared to death about doing it wrong. I guess I?m like many others that I have seen on here; I?m a little overwhelmed by the vast wealth of knowledge that is available here and I am really having trouble sorting through it all. I am really hoping that some of you Pontiac gurus on this site could help guide me in the right direction. I honestly think my goals are relatively modest. I want a motor that will run on today?s pump fuel and from light to light run like a scolded dog! I know I will have to get different heads to replace the #46 ones that are on the motor now in order to get the cr down to 9.5. Which brings me to my first question, which heads should I get? Please remember that I am dirt poor, so don?t even think about recommending the aluminum aftermarket heads to me. Those are things that I will just dream about unless I get lucky and find someone that is a wheeler dealer like myself and wants to trade for something I have. Otherwise I don?t see me having the cash to get a set. So there you have it, that?s who I am, what I have, and what I hope to do. Sorry about the long post? I can sometimes be a little long winded when it comes to my car. lol
Go to Top of Page

oneday68birdbuild
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  12:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know where my introduction went... but here are a few pics of my baby.
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/9692/agdg.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img826/1738/l9qv.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/3793/t5y.JPG
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  03:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome William. One thing you'll need is a compression ratio calculator. http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php
The 46's may be an option for the budget build but you will have to double check the combustion chamber cc's.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you go by William (formal), Will, Willy, Bill, Billy? Let us know.

The key to building a stout engine is to have a good plan. That of course is based on your budget and how long it will take to reach your goal.

Machine work is critical. Selecting the right heads for a low compression pump gas running Pontiac isn't hard--d-port iron heads--6X-8 or 6X-4 might be the right ticket. Lots of inexpensive grinds available to put life into that 428.

Since you're close to Virginia you might want to talk with Jim LeHart at Central Virginia Machine Service. His shop can do all the machine work you need. He's had good success with Pontiac engines. http://www.centralvirginiamachine.com/

Welcome aboard.

Bill Boyle

----
Go to Top of Page

oneday68birdbuild
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  10:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome and the info guys. Bill, I like to be called William, but as my wife has so gracefully proven over the years I will answer to just about any name I?m called. Thanks for the cr calculator Blued and Painted. I have used it before, but I guess I was just looking for confirmation on what it said. I have learned over the years that although technology can often times be a great thing, it can?t substitute personal hands on experience. I look forward to chatting with you all as I get started on my first build. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"William" we always try to stay friendly and informal. So knowing your real name makes a difference.

As you can probably guess--William is my name as well. My nickname has either been Billy or Bill all my life. My grandfather had the same name as did my dad, my oldest son has it and grandson too. All use the nickname Bill or Billy. So, there was a time at family gatherings that when my mom yelled out "Bill" she was sure to get a response from one of us.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

oneday68birdbuild
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  1:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats funny about the everyone being named Bill. I too am a third generation William and my first son has my name as well. So I know exactly what you mean about when mama hollers "William" someones going to respond! lol
Go to Top of Page

oneday68birdbuild
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  2:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, just wondering if you by chance know what the gasket bore diameter is for the 428? I was trying to use that cr calculator and it doesnt provide that # for you. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the different brands vary. I use 4.18. Thickness normally around .040

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

oneday68birdbuild
Tribal Scout

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  7:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Blued!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  10:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Measured Fel-Pro head gasket at 4.280".

----
Go to Top of Page

72Ventura
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  9:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I don't know how I haven't found this site before, I don't see a lot of new posts so I guess that makes me the new guy on the board.
I have a "huger orange" 72 Ventura, I had a 73 Ventura parts car, all of this started out with a 71 Ventura I bought off of "pontiacventura.com" that I
Paid a body-guy I worked with to put "quarters" on, that project went horribly bad, I had to cut them off and strip the car. My 72 came from "Dans Garage".
I am in the process of making it street worthy with years of collected parts. I am piecing together a Pontiac 350 to put in it, as it was originally set up with a
307. I am trying to put all the little tricks and tips to assemble the engine to get the most out of the "little" 350.......
I hope to pull from all your experience and hopefully have a successful project, of my three boys only one seems to be remotely interested. With good results,
Maybe I can suck the other two in!

Dave A
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  11:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome Dave. It's always good to see another enthusiast saving a Pontiac from the scrap heap.

The 350 Pontiac is not like the SBC engine; most Pontiac enthusiasts opt for more displacement and power, however, lots of parts interchange so have at it.

Enjoy your project and feel free to ask questions. There is sure to be some helpful information coming your way.

---
Pontiac Street Performance was started in '96 and this forum was added a few years later. The Pontiac hobby continues to grow with more and more people finding that Pontiacs are fun to own and drive.

----
Go to Top of Page

critter
Tribal Scout

4 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  4:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks. I'm a very old member who has not posted here in many years, if at all. I'm about to ask a question in the technical forums regarding head porting so I thought I'd also reintroduce myself over here. The car is a 1974 SD TA with a non-original drive train in it so don't freak out about my head porting questions, it's on some Edelbrock heads. :)
Go to Top of Page

Trips2win
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  10:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, new here. Name is Patrick Harrison and I have a '64 GTO post with all the fixins. All original, numbs matching rig with power everything and AC. Triple Black with Tri-Power and four speed. What's shackin is the original mill is coming out and taking the bench while we have some fun. I have an original 76X block and 716 heads to play with. So I'm going to stroke the block to 4" port the heads and use an Offy AL tri-power intake in place of the stocker. My 78X block will be benched for a while. I'll go thru it and spec it out to burn this poor gas, get her cleaned up and ready to go back in when I find another '64 to put the 76X block in. Plus I'm gathering parts for a nostalgic 421 engine build, looking for a '64 Tempest/Lemans/GTO post to make a no nonsense bad ass Indian out of. I have a 421 block, 127 heads, dual quad intake and carbs to match, a few more parts to gather there. I've owned a '65 GTO and '68 GTO when I was a kid. Just recently, the past year, got back into to Poncho scene, was distracted with the Harley builds for years. Would love some input on the two engine builds. Plus I picked up a set if '68 16 heads, to good of a deal to pass up. Trying to figure out what to do with them. It's great to be part of your forum.
Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2017 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm AL
Found this site while looking for any good info for my 69 Custom S convertible I won on ebay last March.
It's a retirement gift to myself that I can play with for the next 4 years till I really retire and drive it around the country and see the sights.
It's getting a full tube suspension upgrade front and back, 1.5" lowering springs with 17" wheels and body braces for all out handling.
It will need frame off body work in 4 years and just picked up a nice 70 cutlass sedan frame and a Hellwig FX frame stiffening kit which will make a stronger frame than the old rust belt one that's under it now. powered by a 75 400 crate with a Holley 650 double pumper and turbo 350 trans soon to be a street strip 700r4.Complete rebuilt 8.2 BOP 3.36 Yukon posi rear end and axels. Looking forward to digging deep into the site for fixes and upgrades and meeting other Wide Track Folks....AL

What is the S, in Custom S ?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2017 :  5:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome! Consider the 200-4r instead of the 700, 1st gear isn't over as soon and slightly better OD gear.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome!

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will do some reading on the 2004r and compare thanks for your input.
Shiftworks has a pretty nice linkage set up for the 700r4
Nice ride Rich !

What is the S, in Custom S ?
Go to Top of Page

69TA
Tribal Scout

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2017 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, but I have been reading these forms for years. I have learned so much from reading this site. I am not sure why it has taken so long to join, but here I am.

A little about me and my current set up: I have a 1969 Pontiac TA (tribute). I always loved the look of these cars. I ended up buying a really solid Carousel Red 400 AC car with factory hood tach. I did a three year rotisserie restoration/transformation to a 69 Trans Am. Even the bottom of the floor and frame rails are painted base coat clear coat white. The car is supper clean, and looks as close to a real TA as possible. Other the the polar white floors. I had the 400 and TH400 transmission rebuilt. Installed factory dport headers from ram air restoration with there complete 2.5" exhaust system. Even went as far to install factory functioning ram air system. That was not cheap.

After completing the car and doing the car show seen for a while, I decided I wanted to drive the car like its meant to be driven. After all its not a real TA. I have always been interested in drag racing and had been going to the track with my numbers matching 455/4 speed TA for 10 + years a few times a year, and absolutely love it. I always loved the idea of the F.A.S.T drag racing

So out came the factory 400/ TH400. In went a 68 400 block with a eagle rotating assembly. 4.25 crank, 6.8 rods, -22 Mahle pistons. Zero decked the block. KRE 295cfm D-ports from Dave at SD performance. Comp XR288HR Hydraulic roller 236/242, but had it cut on a 112 LSA. Lift is 577/594 with PRW 1.65 roller rocker. Lunati Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifters. Performer RPM intake, Holley 850 HP carburetor. Factory Pontiac HEI re-curved, with total timing of 30 degree's, all in at 3000 rpm. I still run the 2.5" ram air restoration factory headers and exhaust as Im trying to keep it stock looking as possible. Had another TH400 rebuilt with TCI shift kit installed. Have a 10" 3500 stall converter. Out back theirs a GM 10 bolt from a second gen f-body and 3.42 gears. Moser replacement axles.

You should see the look on peoples faces when I showed up at the track in this pristine restored 69 TA, and started taking it down the track. I had so many people come up to me and say "I cant believe you are doing that to such a nice car". My response was It didnt look that nice when I bought it. There is not one nut or bolt I haven't turned on this car. If something breaks I will fix it again. People get enjoyment out of there cars different ways. Some like to wash wax and trailer it to a car show, and that is just fine if that is what makes you happy. I did that for a little while. But now I enjoy driving the s%$t out of it.

I live on the east cost of Canada on a island called Newfound land. The population is only approximately 500,000 people. There is currently only one 1/8 mile track just outside my hometown. I am the only Pontiac that runs there. People are shocked to see me pull the front left tire off the ground 4 inches in a totally restored 45+ year old car. I love it. My best ET to date is 7.501 with a 1.66 60 foot. This is with stock multi leaf springs and no traction bars. I need to run 275/50/15 Hoosier drag radials to get any traction. The torque in our Pontiacs are incredible.
Now my only problem is I want to go faster, but dont want to put a cage in the car.

Rick Hickey
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2017 :  12:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Rick. sounds like a nice ride.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  07:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks AlsCustomS and welcome Rick, would like to see pics of the car.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY

Edited by - rkellerjr on 14 Jul 2017 07:46:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

JohnJr455TA
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  4:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I'm a younger car enthusiast but I've been surrounded by Pontiac's for as long as I can remember. Within the last couple months, I started racing my 1979 Trans Am. It was born a Mayan Red 400 4 speed WS6 hardtop car with AC and power windows, but the original motor has been replaced with a 1974 455 with 1971 #66 114cc heads, converted to screw in studs, Performer intake, 1976 Pontiac 800 cfm Q-Jet, and Hooker headers. I don't know the specs of the cam yet, nor do I know if the heads have been milled or ported, or whats been done to the bottom end. The original tranny was replaced with a B.W. ST-10 out of a Camaro with a 3.42 1st, 2.28 2nd, and 1.46 3rd gear ratios, and the original 3.23 ring and pinion has been replaced with 2.73's, and while it may sound like an odd combo, the final drive in 1st-3rd is almost the same as that of a stock Pontiac ST-10 with a 2.43 1st, 1.61 2nd, 1.23 3rd when used with a 3.42 rear. I haven't changed much on it mechanically since I got it in December, though I just picked up a Torker II intake, and plan to switch to a Lunati Voodoo cam this winter. My best E.T. so far is a 14.55 @ 98.3 MPH on street tires, 60 footing like a school bus, and shifting at 5k.

I recently drove it 700 miles each way to race at the Ames Performance Tri Power Nationals. It's fun being one of the only stick shift cars at most bracket racing events, and while it isn't easy, I enjoy the challenge. I like the straightforward nature of this forum, and look more to learning more and improving my setup!

Edited by - JohnJr455TA on 08 Aug 2017 4:51:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  7:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome and i'm glad to see you've already dug deep into the car and avoided most of the common spend-money-but-don't-add-much add ons and have a sensible combo. Since you're here we might as well get you down into the 12's right?
Go to Top of Page

JohnJr455TA
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2017 :  11:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

Welcome and i'm glad to see you've already dug deep into the car and avoided most of the common spend-money-but-don't-add-much add ons and have a sensible combo. Since you're here we might as well get you down into the 12's right?

First and foremost, the car is the way it is because the 2nd most recent owner put in a lot of hard work and dedication to get it the way it is, and I just don't want anyone thinking I put in all the time and money to paint it, restore the interior, etc. Unfortunately, he passed away, and the seller didn't know much about the car,other than it had an earlier 70's 455, and I was lucky enough to find a solid car for a price that a lot of project cars sell for here in the Northeast. All I've done is rebuild the carb, adjust the timing, change the oil and rear end fluid, replace the dry rotted BFG Radial TA's with Cooper Cobras, and install gauges using FBody Warehouse's Map Pocket Gauge Pod.

I plan on using a dial indicator to identify the specs of the cam, as well as removing the valley pan and use an Endoscope to try to identify if it has ARP rod bolts or aftermarket rods. I don't exactly have a hole burning in my pocket, so I really just want to optimize the current setup, and try to make the most out of it without porting the heads and tearing the bottom end apart. I keep my eyes open for a set of 6X heads, but it seems like they all need machining, and unless I saw a set that was ready to run for a good price, the #66's are staying. In my previous post, I forgot to mention it weighs 3650 without me in it, with 1/2 a tank of gas, and I don't plan on gutting it or anything for the sake of racing, as it spends most of its time on the street.

How fast I can go within these parameters, we will find out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: