Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jrichardson
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  5:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And one more thing, it as been so nice having a complete parts car!

1969 Firebird 462
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the board. I have been spending money on Pontiacs for over 40 years and I can't stop now. In my younger days I would spend a couple hundred dolars partying. The Pontiac money is better spent. One thing I have learned is to use money that I already have. Those credit cards can eat you alive!
Go to Top of Page

jrichardson
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you. I guess I meant purchasing parts online not racking up a bill, but great advice none the less

1969 Firebird 462
Go to Top of Page

76FormulaFiend
Buffalo

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My names Derek I'm from Utah. Im 26 Married 7 year 2 boys 1 thats 4 and 1 that is almost 2.... I have a 76 Formula 400/400 combo 6X heads and really like the advise you guys all give Ive been reading this board everyday for over a month and figured i'd better register... about damn time right...lol. I've had this car for about 14 years my mother bought it for my uncle and he got 7 speeding tickets in a week so bye bye car for him and opportunity for me she told me you show me a diploma and ill show you a title and thats about how it worked... Ive already ordered the GREAT BOOK it should be here by tuesday. Can't wait to learn a thing or two from you guys and by the way hi

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life. Charles Darwin
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  9:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the board Derek. Sounds like a neat story on the car. I always liked the Formulas. You'll find there are a lot of very helpful people here. We have some of the best Pontiac guys on the planet.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  08:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the PSP forums, Derek. We're here individually and collectively to keep the hobby alive. Feel free to join in on any subject.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

tombone1974
Sitting Bull

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  11:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all....my name is Steve and I'm currently working on a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am. I recently picked up a 455 engine out of a 1974 Pontiac Grandville convertable, brought it home, tore it apart, it looked excellent through out only to have my heart broken when I noticed the center freeze plug was missing and a crack from that plug to the rear plug on the driver side. However, the shop that I go to said that the 455 main journals can be ground down to fit into the 400 block, so I've decided to make a 455 out of my 1971 400 instead, I'll be using my 6x heads with some serious porting and increasing the exhaust valve from 1.66 to 1.77 inches. I will back it up with a tremic tko500 5 speed manual transmission with the 8.5 inch differential w/ 3.42 gears and an Eaton posi. Currently I'm going through this book by Jim Hand which has awesome information. Hopefully joining this forum will give me some more good information.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  11:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve Im another new member here. Been great so far. I also had a 78 T/A with Hurst T Tops. That car wasn't super fast, but it sure was fun I now have a 1970 GTO that im playing with. I remember changing the heater core in the T/A. What a nightmare!!! Hope yours is new. What a blast to have that power, a five speed, in that model.
Go to Top of Page

71tempest
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  1:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello all..i dont type to well but here it goes. i have been getting info from this site for a few years now, i never joined because there has always been someone with the same issues i have had, but ive decided to ask my own questions from now on. anyway i have a 1971 tempest with the gto front end(endura bumper)..i have had the car for seven years now. i drove it around the first 3 years, joined the military (usmc) went to iraq and back. mind still intact,im not crazy so dont ask..lol..got married have 2 kids and now im ready for my car..im putting together a 400. i have the stroker kit for the 461 and im on my way..with jim hands book as my guide..took me at least a year to get the kit, like i said im married. i have leaned on this website for so much info, im almost embarrased to not have joined sooner..so keep up the good forums and you know have another opinion to deal with.haha..im gonna try to post some pics of my car..
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  1:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
mind still intact,im not crazy so dont ask..lol..got married

You're not going to convince many that you're not crazy with the ending to your "I'm not crazy" argument.

Welcome anyway.

Go to Top of Page

71tempest
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  1:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[[URL=http://img444.imageshack.us/i/080209101838.jpg/][/URL] this is my car..i also have #64 heads for the 461..i dont hear many people on the forum talking about those heads, but there all over jims book..thats why i bought them..[[URL=http://img696.imageshack.us/i/photo0254d.jpg/][/URL]]
Go to Top of Page

Larry "WFO" Navarro
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  9:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all......been here on and off, since the beginning of PSP.

Wow Bill......has it been that long?
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  10:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry "WFO" Navarro

Hi all......been here on and off, since the beginning of PSP.

Wow Bill......has it been that long?

Welcome Back
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  10:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll jump in here. My name's Rob - some folks just call me "Bear". I've got a 69 GTO hardtop that I bought in about 1975 while I was still in college. It's the last car my dad and I bought 'together' before he died in 1980, so besides being a GTO that makes it special to me. The way that I first fell in love with GTO's is a pretty decent story... for another time. I started restoring the car in about 1984 or so, but after getting it completely torn down and the frame/suspension done, "life got in the way" and it had to sit in storage for a good many years. I was able to get going on it again a couple of years ago and got really serious about it in March of this year. I've always done my own mechanicing and have built engines over the years, but the sticking/scary part of it was the body work that I knew NOTHING about how to do. Finding Kevin Tetz's "Paintucation" DVD's and more importantly, his forum (http://www.leopardsystems.com/paintucationforum/) changed all that. There are folks on that forum who have tons of experience, including Kevin, who don't mind helping dummies like me avoid making too many mistakes. At this point, the body work is done, the car's in primer, wet sanded, and ready to paint so the focus has switched to getting the mechanicals done. I connected with Jim Lehart (Mr. PBody) here and other places who helped me plan the engine. There's a lot that's changed since the project started and lot's of parts available now that weren't available at all in 1984. I guess that's one good thing about having waited. The orginal numbers-matching YS 400 is now a 461 with "his" Comp Cams solid roller grind and wearing a pair of gen-u-wine #722 heads and a brand new out of the box service replacement 455 SD Qjet. The car has Wilwood discs on all 4 wheels, a Moser Engineering 9-inch with 3.50's on a Wavetrac hung from Spohn fully adjustable control arms with their street sway bar. The TH400 has been gone through with "all the good stuff", a TransGo kit, and has a 10" converter that's supposed to flash to 3200.
As soon as the RobbMc fuel pump and starter arrive, I'll be taking the motor up to the machine shop for break-in, tuning, and testing on their dyno. Engine Analyzer Plus predicts about 560 hp @ 5300, 600 lb ft 2 3800, with a curve that's above 500 lb ft from 2900 all the way through 5800 with the factory intake. It predicts bigger peaks with a single-plane but I'm not convinced the car would actually e.t. better. We'll see. After the drive train's in the car, then it will be time to paint it, put in the interior, and -enjoy- it.
Here's a few pictures:

My son back when I started working on it:
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/mechanic.jpg

Same son, these days:
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_0023.jpg

Body "before":
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_0497.jpg
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_0509.jpg

Body now:
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_2879.jpg
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_2881.jpg

Rear:
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/ShortBlock.jpg

Engine right now:
http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto/images/IMG_3191.jpg

If you want to see *all* the pictures, I've got a web site up with photos that follow pretty much everything over the past two years. It's at http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto

The neat thing about the Internet and forums like this one is all of the information that's available now. The down-side is that everyone has an opinion and they're all over the map, but if you use your noggin and think about what really makes sense then it can really help you think about things you might have missed and also keep you from spending time and money making the same mistakes that others have made. Used to, you had to do that with books and magazines (often written by 'marketing' types), the limited people you knew as friends, or contacts in a "club". For someone like me who has always tended to be self-reliant and do their own thing, and not really what you'd call a 'joiner', that left the door open to shoot myself in the foot a lot.

This is great.

Thanks for reading,

Rob -aka- "Bear"
Go to Top of Page

Marks 63 Cat
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  6:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello guys. I used to visit your site in the past, and I think I registered many years ago. I have several of your tech articles (setting rockers, degreeing cams) printed out and have used them several times over the years. I can't remember my old sign on but I have moved from WI to AZ and changed providers so the old one is probably invalid anywho. I had a '73 TA and I think my sign on might have been Marks 73 TA but the TA is gone now and I'm onto my new project, a '63 Catalina Street Freak (gasser), hence the Marks63Cat username. Some of you may know me from other boards as well. I look forward to seeing what's going on over here and hope I can add to the decor too, heh. Good talking at ya.
My old Turbo TA.

My new '63 Catalina Gasser project.

Mark L

Let the Good Times Roll!!
Go to Top of Page

Superchicken
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  5:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im Scott. I have a 78 TA 6.6 with auto, 3.23 rear end. My dad bought it new in 1978 for $7300. He drove it about 70K miles and then tired of it and put it in the barn. I spent a lot of time in the garage as a kid helping him fix cars so was a reluctant helper turned competent mechanic, so when the itch came, he turned the car over to me and I began a methodical disassembly of the entire car. I was going thru divorce so used the time in the garage for sanity purposes. lol. I got my own parts cleaner tub, used wire wheels, (a lot of them!) and a wide assortment of steel wool, brushes etc. and cleaned and refinished every bolt, nut and part on the car.

Once all parts were ready, I reassembled with some mods... I deepened the pockets for the rear leaf springs to improve launch and prevent wheel hop. Added KYB Gas adjust shocks. Modified converter to 2000 RPM. Reworked motor, .030 over, shaved and decked to zero, comp cam XE274, comp springs and aluminum rockers, TRW pistons, rods re-sized, balanced with arp bolts. RARE Ram air IV headers, Dr GAS X-overs on 2.5" exhaust. Edelbrock performer with reworked quadrajet, (thanks Cliff!!) Rear Brakes upgraded to SSBC disc, front brakes upgraded to some big caliper monsters off an eldorado! Mallory HEI to spark it. All inside surfaces lined with that sound deadening stuff. Velour seats redone with vinyl (red velour was too much!) Looks stock. Roars like a monster from hell! Yahoo!
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  08:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Back Mark! sweet cat ya got... keep us updated on the progress!

Welcome Scott! sounds like a great TA... We'd love to see some pics if ya get the chance to post em up.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

kreelix88
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i guess i skipped past the whole introduction part and dived into the gravy...
My name is josh originally from utah and idaho (i claim both states) im 22 and my car is deffinately older then me i never raelly had the availability to work on cars growing up but always new it was what i wanted to do at 18 i was working in the coal mines the first vehicle i had ever bought was a 1971 ford f100 it was an old beat up farm truck that i did some work on rebuilt a 360 and put it in then i got married joined the air force as a diesel generator mechanic and while i was in tech school my now EXwife sold the truck out from underneath me my next toy came along just this year actually never had the money till this year but i bought a 91 s10 dropeed a 350 in it and been making it very individual my next step on it is to put a set of duellies on it to make it stand out i also have a semi rare GMC that has been in the family since it came from the factory its a 1980 GMC Sierra Classic Camper Secial Edition truck with all sorts of random extras from the factory like airbag suspension on top on the springs shock between the bed and the cab duellies it had a 454 in it with a ch 465 117mm 4 speed transmission and a new process 205 transfer case i plan on eventually restoring it to the exact way it came from the factory i know none of this sounds at all pontiac but im getting to that part i recently purchased a 78 formula for 600 it has a seized 350 in it car alltogether has everything there but the steering wheel and the bench seat in the back i been sitting on two 350 blocks for a while now so i didnt really care if the engine it it was blown or not so thats my toy list im currently out of the military going to school at uti to get a degree and certifications when i graduate i would like to open up my own garage and do restorations on the side

thank you for taking the time to read this im generally long winded..
Go to Top of Page

abx131
Buffalo

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2010 :  12:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I forgot to properly introduce my self as well, My name is Jason and my son and I are working on a 67' Lemans with a 326 and a 2 speed Hydro. It is his first car. I grew up in a GM family, my dad was always into Corvettes and I remember many fun times turning wrenches with him. His mother's father has a 31' model A. He was predisposed to this to some degree! In this modern day of kids and their "rice burners", it makes me happy to see him working on an American Classic. His favorite show is Supernatural, about two brothers who travel the country in an old Malibu and kill demons. He loved the car and grew to appreciate that era of cars. We stumbled across the Lemans for $2600. Our agreement was to match what he saved. He had $1700 and we have put that much into getting it roadworthy. There are several photos in the Lemans forum under the post "Newbie with some questions". While I have a good general sense of cars, this forum has been a big help with specific issues and I greatly appreciate everyone's help. I am lookin forward to many good (and some frustrating) times working with my son on his new car. He has already been learning the art of wheeling and dealing, he has been trading parts and pieces for the things he needs for his own plans.....Just like his dad and grandpa

67' Lemans work in progress
Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  7:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone my name is Ricky Mitchell I'm new here but I'm older than my Pontiacs.I am 60 years old,have been driving Pontiacs all my life
and currently own a 1970 GTO and a 1969 Grand Prix SJ.The GTO is a 455/4-speed and the GP is a 428/370hp automatic.I also have been driving a 1973 short bed stepside Chevrolet pickup since 1980.It has a 400 Pontiac engine,400 automatic transmission and positive traction rearend.I could not find a Pontiac truck so I made my own.My first car was a 1967 Pontiac Lemans Sprint with the inline six cylinder and 4 barrel carb.(Man how I wish I could get that one back).I would love to hang out with you guys and learn some things.I build my own engines but nothing fancy ,I just stick to mostly stock and only for the street.The stock engines have enough power for me and I love the torque!!!
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  8:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.
Sounds like we can learn a few things from you.

This is a great and friendly site.
Go to Top of Page

brandonhund
Tribal Scout

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  6:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone -

Just joined up after having scoured through articles and postings since last Summer which marks when I purchased my first muscle car: an all original (except some badly paired heads) '67 Firebird 400. I'm currently in the middle of a ground-up restoration, having stripped down the entire car and prepping it for a Springtime priming. The motor is on the agenda for this Winter, which is mostly why I'm here.

I'm new to everything except turning a wrench, but everything is going great. Just finished putting in a new floor and trunk pan (repairing bad, old patches) and have boxes and boxes of parts to put it back together the way I want it. Glad to have found this place - to bad there hasn't been a forum with this much valuable information on ALL the things I'd like to do in life:D
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  8:21:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome Brandon. We also have a 67, but ours is a convertible. It is my son's car that I gave to him about 8 years ago. It is slowly coming together and has a CVMS 474 with E-heads, solid roller, to the tune of about 10K from carb to pan. We also went with a rack and pinion steering unit. If you need help with something, I've probably done it on our car so feel free to ask.

Go to Top of Page

brandonhund
Tribal Scout

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  9:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. I've just posted the first few of what are likely to be a ton of questions and appreciate the help. My dad is giving me hand with this car also and is probably the main reason things have gone so smoothly so far. I'm glad there are more people out there that live and breath this stuff to lend a hand, too. We could use it!

In fact, you could start with sending me that motor...
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2010 :  07:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jr. probably wouldn't go for that. He's on his third combat tour and most of the extra pay has gone into this car. We hope to have it on the road when he comes home for his mid-tour break in April. I have to get the cage installed over the winter. Jim says if we launch it without one we'll bend it. Plus, we'd like to be able to get some track time without getting kicked off the track.

Go to Top of Page

Fxnjetz
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  12:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings All,

Guess it's never too late to jump back into the game...

My first car was a hand me down '65 Tempest with 6 banger that my folks bought new from Dave Miller Pontiac in Chicago. I got it in '71 and drove it till I bought my first '67 GTO Hardtop, 400/4spd, for the princely sum of $800.00 in 1975. Sold that car a year later, and bought my next '67 GTO post coupe for $1200.00 (on installments) from a guy in my neighborhood.

It was a car that I had seen as a kid still in JR. High. It had a straight axle, 400/4spd. White/black interior, 34,000 miles on it in impeccable condition. The car had been in the Rod and Custom show in Chicago back in the early/mid 70's. Sold that car (still have emotional issues over that) when I went in the Service.

Fast forward some 34 years later...Just bought my third '67 GTO, (post car)YS code 400 auto with His/Hers Hurst. Clean California black plate car. Numbers matching original except for aluminum intake/holley carb. It's been repainted..good quality, a couple of shades off the original silvermist. Black interior in great shape, dash guages/lenses need some freshening up.

All in all, a beautiful, driveable car that my Wife and I are looking forward to working on and enjoying. Already have some improvement planning underway...front disc conversion, and suspension re-build this year. Looking for another 400 block/heads for a stroker project for next year, and I guess we'll see from there.

Great to be back, I've already learned a ton from this and other forums. Have identified some likely suspects to go to for info and services (Mr. P-body) etc. Looking forward to enjoying the automobile I've missed for many years, and making some new friends along the way.

Regards,
Paul

[URL=http://img442.imageshack.us/i/scanpic0028.jpg/][/URL]
[URL=http://img842.imageshack.us/i/carshow019.jpg/][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

Fxnjetz
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  12:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S.

Sorry about the poor photo links...I'll need to get a better handle on that....

Regards,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  1:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool lookin cars Paul!

Welcome to PSP! Very friendly and helpful environment around here.

Where are you located? I'm guessin somewhere near Chicago/northern Illinois?

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

Fxnjetz
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2010 :  8:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx Matt,

Naperville, Illinois...Western Suburb.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

mattg7890
Tribal Scout

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  9:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize for not introducing myself on the newbie post before posting. Anyways, my name is Matt and I am from Cleveland, Ohio (20 miles east). I am 34 yrs. old and have two Pontiacs. Both of which are completely disassembled. i have a '69 GTO, which I have had for 17 years, and a '78 TA w/ a 400, which I have had for 16 years. The GTO has been apart since 2000. I am starting to re-assemble the GTO. I am going to visit Mr.P-Body for some horsepower and go from there. I am thinking a new Supercase M22 and Moser rearend. I am sticking with the stock suspension for now. Only so much money to go around and there is always next year.

The TA I purchased from the original owner. It is a numbers matching car. It came apart when my younger brother wanted to take it to school and paint it for his project. Needless to say it didn't get finished because well if we do this why don't we do that too. Next thing I know it is frame off. Five years ago things ground to a halt when we decided to buy a car for my dad because he would talk about cars but just wouldn't get one. I think we bit off more than we could chew at once. We found a '66 Malibu but it was a northern car....rust city. We worked on it for some time but other things happened and things have been at a stand still for about 4 years. So three cars in pieces......bitten by the bug now and want my GTO rolling.

Guess that is my story for now. I forgot to mention I leased a '04 GTO when they came out for two years as well. It was a fun little car.

Edited by - mattg7890 on 31 Mar 2011 9:05:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2011 :  9:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to PSP Matt! Yeah we all got the Pontiac bug here, young/old and around the globe.

Nice projects you got going, others here are on similar projects and will be chiming in soon. I have a 70 GTO that I'm about to install a fresh 455. I'm looking forward to seeing your motor build, check out the how to post pics thread and post a few.

Randall

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found this site last week and have been enjoying all the info on here. My name John, I'm in San Antonio TX I recognize a few of you from some other sites I'm on.

My car is a 71 Firebird I picked up right about a year ago in Pheonix of eBay. The guy had it last as having an Olds 455 with a knock to it, I didn't car because I was putting a Poncho motor in it anyway. long story short it just didn't sound like a rod knock to me so I got under it to check things out and I found the torque converter bolts were to long.

I've spent the last year patching the bad floor pans and replacing the interior so that atleast I'm not ashamed to have someone look inside of it now. Currently it still has the Olds 455 (while I gather the parts for my P-455) Th400 and 3:55 10 bolt.

Here are a few pics from a couple weeks ago.

Still working on the door panel armrest

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Cochise

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, John! You should be able to sell that Olds engine to someone with a boat... Lots of the "good 'ol boys" around here use 'em in their boats after they blow up the Chevy motors the boats came with!

PSP Member since 1996

Never enough cubes...

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  10:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice car, John... love the "rolling stock" and the stance.

Heck, we're neighbors - sort of. I'm in Garland (near Dallas).

Welcome..

Rob
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  12:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the board. I always liked those early second gen birds.

Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  12:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I do plan on selling the Olds when the Poncho motor is closer to being finished to help pay for some of it.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to PSP, love to see Firebirds around here

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

GTOMayhem
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  09:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Just recently got the GTO bug again, after a 15 year hiatus. Was fortunate the 1967 GTO Sport Coupe(Post) I had in a former life was still in my families' circle of friends. At the risk of starting a family feud, I was able to reacquire the car from my brother-in-law's friend. I will detail the story in upcoming posts. It's a 4-speed car with no options.

Edited by - GTOMayhem on 29 May 2011 09:21:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  09:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great project. Keep us posted and good luck with her.

Go to Top of Page

76FormulaFiend
Buffalo

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2011 :  4:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man thats a nice start for a project looks like most of it is still there

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life. Charles Darwin
Go to Top of Page

rustytinman1955
Tribal Scout

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
new guy here trying to get information have 1973 455 with 4x heads wanting retain the 4x heads and want to know what is best options to make this engine adapt to my 68 bird for optimum street/strip performance

dave phelps
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  8:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome RTM55-Dave- To PSP. Thats a pretty good combo to start with. I think 500 ft lbs of tire smoking torque is not out of the question. Jim Hand's book Max Pontiac Performance is a must read for any one interested in building a pontiac engine. I got mine through amazon. Also check out the 1 to 1 club combo's on the PSP home page. Some of the best in the buisness are menbers here at PSP. Start a thread in the firebird section with your horse power goals and a discription or pictures of your car and i'm sure the old farts guy's will be happy to help.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 16 Jun 2012 8:44:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

psylosyfer
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  05:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit psylosyfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PontiacMatt

Sounds good Bill, thanks.

about myself... well, I'm 20 years old. I'm from a little town in central Kentucky, called Lawrenceburg. I'm actually a college student, on my way towards a mechanical engineering degree. It took me a while to figure out what I'd like to do, but I finally did. I want to build engines. I'm considering attending NASCAR Technical Institute in NC after graduating, where I'd get more specific training on engine building.

I've been a NASCAR fan my entire life, and have loved muscle cars since I was about 15. It's always been a dream of mine to be a driver, since I was alittle kid. while that's probably never gonna happen, I'd still love to get involved in the sport, and what better way than to build engines! Of course, I would also love to work in an engine building shop, maybe even run my own, someday.

My first car was a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.4 Litre V6. I almost lost my life in that car one night. but thats another story. Anyway, I've loved Pontiacs since before I had that car, and have always wanted an older Pontiac muscle car.

I finally got one of my own in February of 2007 - a 1972 Pontiac Lemans. $3,700 and I drove it home. It had a Chevy 350, stock in appearance with a Rochester Quadrajet 4 Barrel carburetor. It ran alittle rough, and smoked alittle, but I knew i was either going to rebuild it or put a different engine in, so wasn't concerned. The engine was accompanied by what I believe to be a TH350 automatic. Later, I found the numbers on the 350 block and disovered that the engine was actually numbers matching to that car. (built in Canada). I've since then acquired a Pontiac 400 block, along with most of the parts, for free from my dad's cousin, who is rebuilding a 68? Firebird and wanted a years matching block. My 400 is date coded 74', and with it I got a pair of 6X heads.

Since buying it, I've put on 4 brand new Cragar S/S wheels 15"x8". It had a set of mid 90's S-10 rally wheels on it...needless to say the Cragars really did alot for the car's appearance. The Trunk floor was in bad shape, so I've had that completely replaced with a new one, along with a new fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel lines from the tank to the engine compartment. The car had Round chrome side mirrors when I purchased it. seeing how they weren't in that good a shape (one of the mirrors actually popped out going down the highway), I've replaced them with rectangular chrome side mirrors, which are closer to correct mirrors. a few other small things have been done, not really worth mentioning.

Right now I have the entire front end off of the car. I have cleaned my firewall and frame (from firewall forward) and just repainted both a few days ago. I'm waiting on a set of frame mounts (had to get new ones for the 400, as the Chevy 350 mounts obviously won't match up) from Ames. once I've got those on, I'll begin putting the front end back together. I have all new control arms, upper and lower, and new stock height coil springs, waiting to be installed. once the suspension has been rebuilt, I have a new 4 wheel disk break kit from Classic Performance Products, including master cylinder and booster. once all this has been installed and the front end is back together, the plan is to turn the car around in our little garage and begin on the rear of the car - new suspension, the new disk brakes, and beef up the rear end alittle with a posi differential and new ring gears.

I think that about sums it up... probably shouldn't have wrote that much... but I can't help it. Pontiacs "Build Excitement" in me!

Well you are obviously on the right track! Worthwhile project in every sense!
Go to Top of Page

psylosyfer
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  05:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit psylosyfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardLuck750

Guess I am new here too, much like Matt I am younger than my car, I am 25 and my dad bought me my first car, long story about why, but I had a choice between a Plymouth Turbo Z, a Fox Body Stang, and a few others. I didn't really care for any of them much and told my dad I really really wanted something old, long story short I saw a 67 Tempest with a blown (in a bad way) 400 in it just a few miles from home. Dad told me no it was too much work and to just find something that ran. A day later he told me he found a car he liked for me and had bought it so I was stuck with it. We ended up at the pontiac and i limped it home, though it was blown it still ran, just had no compression on 2 cylinders... WE spent the next 4 months rebuilding the motor, a great learning experience, on the morning of my 16th birthday at 3am I drove a freshly rebuilt pontiac 400 stuffed in a 67 tempest through my home town without a hood. I drove it all through school and through a few transmissions. Put a lot of motor upgrades in it, and now it runs like crap, prolly just needs some good tuning. Unfortunately I cannot do anything with it currently because I am 2000 miles from it attending law school. When I eventually make it in the working world I intend to have the body fully restored and to do the enginework all on my own. I absolutely love pontiac motors and will argue endlessly with people that they are the best street motor ever made... Anyhow my setup is in another post titled 400 setup where I ask a few questions, please feel free to give it a look ask questions and give advice..
Thanx,
Wayne

I must agree about the engines, I beat all but 2 cars as a teen, some spent a fortune on parts! My Pontiac 400 near stock, won all but twice! never blew up either.
Go to Top of Page

psylosyfer
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  05:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit psylosyfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55 chief

I get to be the new guy now. I have had my 1955 2door hardtop pontiac since i was 17 it was my first car and it gets worked on everytime I drive it now. It has a 389 in it from the first owner and everything else is stock to include the transmission. It needs alot of work and I hope that someone out there has some answers, any help would be great.

I had the transmission rebuild 3 years ago and have less than 500 miles on it, and the front band broke. I just wonder if anyone knows where I can get the parts for it that I need or a good idea where to start. It is a dual range hydramatic.

Try EBAY, ALOT of trans, prices not cool!
Go to Top of Page

psylosyfer
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  05:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit psylosyfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomcat24

Hello everybody...My name is Ron (the Tomcat thing is from my old F-14 days) Glad to be aboard! Okay here's my story; A couple of years ago when my son was approaching driving age I bought him a car for Christmas, I had regaled him with stories and a few lies about my first car, a '65 GTO with factory Tri-Power so, lo and behold he decide he wanted something along those lines (had to sell my '65 GTO after I enlisted). Well, needless to say '65 Goats are a little pricey these days, so I found a Firebird for him.This particular 'bird was a 1972 Esprit 350 2bbl auto that had a rebuilt motor, trans and rear-end (all stock), had been repainted (Earl Schieb?), a decent interior(sort of) and Goodrich TA's on Cragar S/S wheels. I hid it at his Grandmothers' house for a couple of weeks and then went over and got it about 2:00 AM Christmas morning. I parked in the side yard where he couldn't see it, and wrapped up the keys in a box placed under the Tree. It was pretty cool, and Ol' Dad felt great! So, anyway, over the years we have done a variety of things together to improve and more fully restore his car, H.E.I., improved engine cooling system, interior and so on. Now he has expressed a desire for Horsepower! So I have been trying to help him with identifying and locating the required parts (He buys, although I kick in when he doesn't expect it).So, we have obtained some '69 # 62 heads, '69 4bbl Ram Air III intake manifold, and a set of Ram Air III Exhaust manifolds, 2.5" outlet (R.A.R.E. with the Cer-Chrome coating).I have been trying to follow all the recommendations I have read about. Now I am lining up the "final" parts, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, Carb and fuel pump, etc. So, I will be asking questions regarding those items, that I'm sure have been asked and answered before...please bear with me! Thanks so much...

Good to hear your plans, I was on the USS Nimitz, when F-14's ruled! I kinda teared up when I watched them retire on Hist. Ch.
Anyway, sounds like the car will be able to pull ahead of a Tomcat for 1-2 seconds! Plenty fast!
Go to Top of Page

psylosyfer
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  05:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit psylosyfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Larry

Hello, my names Larry, 35, live in Fresno,Ca. I don't actually have a Pontiac vehicle......I do have a 1960 Guasti Flatbottom/V-drive with a 350 Pontiac engine. It did say above, the water is nice,LOL. I see alot of good engine info here, so thanx in advance!

I had a machinist friend in San Diego, he had a Studebaker GoldenHawk, with a radical 400Pontiac. If I ever thought about a car trade, That ride was just plain awesome!
Go to Top of Page

psylosyfer
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2012 :  06:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit psylosyfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I was 16 yrs old driving with my Dad to look at a Mach1 from an ad. But before we got to the Ford, I spotted a Carousel Red, "68" GTO Judge clone, with a for sale sign. I had my Dad stop, the poor owner was out on parole, one of his terms was "no debt" He owed a lot of storage on the car, After some begging, I drove away in a perfect GTO for $1000. (all I had)fair price for a 6 yr old car! He had side pipes,a Holley Spreadbore, a 12 bolt truck rearend, must have been 4.55 or less, His clone stripe was one off, a Judge clone but he did not stop on the sides, but gracefully curved the black stripe over the back of the roof, then back to the front, he inlaid two thin silver strips on both sides of the black, The rear had a "70" spoiler black. and of course Gabriel Hi-jackers! deep dish cragars 50's rear, 70's front. It was too beautiful for a 16 yr old to handle! I was in love my first time! As youngsters often due, I put All my income into that car for 3 yrs. then I had to prove how stupid kids can be, I drove to Tijuana at 3:00 AM to buy liqour for our dates. The Mexican Government, sent me home on the bus, never seen the GTO again! Always loved Pontiac though, Almost convinced a freind to let me save his 69 400 Firebird, He has left it under a tree since High School. Then one fine day, in my 40's I walked into my Uncle Butch's garage, the crappy 74 vette was gone and a 68 GTO was there! A miracle! It needed alot of work, but was rust free and all there! We made a deal on the spot, if he went first, the GTO was mine, If I did, he'd get my GMC 4x4 he always planned to own. Sadly Butch did take ill, and had to sell the GTO to pay bills, I bought it of course. He did not get to see it running, but after approx.$10,000 and alot of labor, it is a very functional ride, needs better paint, and lots of little stuff. But I will never give up! I wish I knew what was in the engine? runs to good to tear down yet, but I am confused, A dog off the line but by 2nd gear, it gets scary! rearend try's to get in front, by then it is really hauling, SO far I have not found the room to see what's next, but my old 68 never moved like this one! sounds and feels like a cam but not rad.it started an HO 4spd. We got it with Edelbrock P-68 dual quad intake headers, twin carters, elec fuel pump, double spring valves with locks, I went to a victor and single AFB comp +. Someday I am going to be thrilled to tear it down! for now keep fixing up.
Go to Top of Page

lideerocks
Tribal Scout

Georgia
7 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  9:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PontiacMatt

Sounds good Bill, thanks.

about myself... well, I'm 20 years old. I'm from a little town in central Kentucky, called Lawrenceburg. I'm actually a college student, on my way towards a mechanical engineering degree. It took me a while to figure out what I'd like to do, but I finally did. I want to build engines. I'm considering attending NASCAR Technical Institute in NC after graduating, where I'd get more specific training on engine building.

I've been a NASCAR fan my entire life, and have loved muscle cars since I was about 15. It's always been a dream of mine to be a driver, since I was alittle kid. while that's probably never gonna happen, I'd still love to get involved in the sport, and what better way than to build engines! Of course, I would also love to work in an engine building shop, maybe even run my own, someday.

My first car was a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.4 Litre V6. I almost lost my life in that car one night. but thats another story. Anyway, I've loved Pontiacs since before I had that car, and have always wanted an older Pontiac muscle car.

I finally got one of my own in February of 2007 - a 1972 Pontiac Lemans. $3,700 and I drove it home. It had a Chevy 350, stock in appearance with a Rochester Quadrajet 4 Barrel carburetor. It ran alittle rough, and smoked alittle, but I knew i was either going to rebuild it or put a different engine in, so wasn't concerned. The engine was accompanied by what I believe to be a TH350 automatic. Later, I found the numbers on the 350 block and disovered that the engine was actually numbers matching to that car. (built in Canada). I've since then acquired a Pontiac 400 block, along with most of the parts, for free from my dad's cousin, who is rebuilding a 68? Firebird and wanted a years matching block. My 400 is date coded 74', and with it I got a pair of 6X heads.

Since buying it, I've put on 4 brand new Cragar S/S wheels 15"x8". It had a set of mid 90's S-10 rally wheels on it...needless to say the Cragars really did alot for the car's appearance. The Trunk floor was in bad shape, so I've had that completely replaced with a new one, along with a new fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel lines from the tank to the engine compartment. The car had Round chrome side mirrors when I purchased it. seeing how they weren't in that good a shape (one of the mirrors actually popped out going down the highway), I've replaced them with rectangular chrome side mirrors, which are closer to correct mirrors. a few other small things have been done, not really worth mentioning.

Right now I have the entire front end off of the car. I have cleaned my firewall and frame (from firewall forward) and just repainted both a few days ago. I'm waiting on a set of frame mounts (had to get new ones for the 400, as the Chevy 350 mounts obviously won't match up) from Ames. once I've got those on, I'll begin putting the front end back together. I have all new control arms, upper and lower, and new stock height coil springs, waiting to be installed. once the suspension has been rebuilt, I have a new 4 wheel disk break kit from Classic Performance Products, including master cylinder and booster. once all this has been installed and the front end is back together, the plan is to turn the car around in our little garage and begin on the rear of the car - new suspension, the new disk brakes, and beef up the rear end alittle with a posi differential and new ring gears.

I think that about sums it up... probably shouldn't have wrote that much... but I can't help it. Pontiacs "Build Excitement" in me!

pontiac player!!

tim
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  01:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, name is Adam. I'm out here in tacoma, wa. Really stoked to be on this site. It's great to Read about so many cool cars, motors, opinions, advice, and people just sharing experiences invoving these old..or new rigs. Myself I guess I got into pontiac in the mid 80s as a teen. Picked up a 74 esprit with a hopped up 350 in it. I was in autos hop already 2 years at that point. Continued autoshop junior and senior year. Built a 69 428. Had fun for a summer until I cooked the motor, what a bummer. Couple years later picked up a 76 bird, another 350 car, ran it around for a while. Couple years after that picked up (2) 69 birds, 1 was an M 22, 421 car and the other a basic driver which was to be a donor to the other. Time passed and I guess I'd say I was wrapped up in improving my social skills...blew up the tranny in the 4 speed car and let both go by the wayside. Years passed again then I found my soul mate...a 1963 starlight black 2 door cat. Still have it. It's been maybe a dozen years or so. Since then I'd picked up 3 63 grand prix's, a 66cat cvt, and the PROJECT..a 66 2+2 cvt. it's an auto car with minimal options and a full scale restoration in front of her. That's my pontiac life, other than that I'm a self employed carpenter with a girlfriend and a boy a year and a half old. Good thing I finally had a kid. I'm gonna need a whole lotta help in 15 years! Glad to be here everyone. Look forward to lots of poncho discussions and checking out all other cool pontiac rides! Ttyl, Adam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: