Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  10:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have noticed more and more Pontiackers joining this forum. WELCOME!

We want to hear from you guys/gals, so tell us about your car(s), ask questions (if you have any), share your experiences/problems with parts, vendors, etc. And by all means, share pictures if you have them.

We love Pontiac's, whether it is a show car, daily driver or setting on blocks! It can be primer black, rusted, whatever! We love them all!

PSP is a growing community of friendly hobbyists like you. Come on in, the water is fine.

Edited by - Phil on 30 Jul 2008 10:59:16 PM

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  11:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Yes and Yes! If I had access to this kind of information when I was 15 and bought my first Pontiac - what Might have been. I have run out of questions to ask. I look forward to helping new members, to share my experience and knowledge. I like the debate. We want questions!

Thanks Phil. Hugh
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  08:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil and hugh. how would one go about posting pictures on the forum here?

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill and Greg can explain it better than I.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  10:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PontiacMatt
Adding photos is a subject Greg Miller are discussing right now. It would be a nice added feature. Stay tuned. In the meantime, tell us about yourself, your project, where you're from etc...just as Phil suggested. And by all means, post some questions for Hugh.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

http://www.imageshack.us/ is very simple.

Edited by - sixt8bird on 31 Jul 2008 11:17:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  11:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Bill, thanks.

about myself... well, I'm 20 years old. I'm from a little town in central Kentucky, called Lawrenceburg. I'm actually a college student, on my way towards a mechanical engineering degree. It took me a while to figure out what I'd like to do, but I finally did. I want to build engines. I'm considering attending NASCAR Technical Institute in NC after graduating, where I'd get more specific training on engine building.

I've been a NASCAR fan my entire life, and have loved muscle cars since I was about 15. It's always been a dream of mine to be a driver, since I was alittle kid. while that's probably never gonna happen, I'd still love to get involved in the sport, and what better way than to build engines! Of course, I would also love to work in an engine building shop, maybe even run my own, someday.

My first car was a 95 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.4 Litre V6. I almost lost my life in that car one night. but thats another story. Anyway, I've loved Pontiacs since before I had that car, and have always wanted an older Pontiac muscle car.

I finally got one of my own in February of 2007 - a 1972 Pontiac Lemans. $3,700 and I drove it home. It had a Chevy 350, stock in appearance with a Rochester Quadrajet 4 Barrel carburetor. It ran alittle rough, and smoked alittle, but I knew i was either going to rebuild it or put a different engine in, so wasn't concerned. The engine was accompanied by what I believe to be a TH350 automatic. Later, I found the numbers on the 350 block and disovered that the engine was actually numbers matching to that car. (built in Canada). I've since then acquired a Pontiac 400 block, along with most of the parts, for free from my dad's cousin, who is rebuilding a 68? Firebird and wanted a years matching block. My 400 is date coded 74', and with it I got a pair of 6X heads.

Since buying it, I've put on 4 brand new Cragar S/S wheels 15"x8". It had a set of mid 90's S-10 rally wheels on it...needless to say the Cragars really did alot for the car's appearance. The Trunk floor was in bad shape, so I've had that completely replaced with a new one, along with a new fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel lines from the tank to the engine compartment. The car had Round chrome side mirrors when I purchased it. seeing how they weren't in that good a shape (one of the mirrors actually popped out going down the highway), I've replaced them with rectangular chrome side mirrors, which are closer to correct mirrors. a few other small things have been done, not really worth mentioning.

Right now I have the entire front end off of the car. I have cleaned my firewall and frame (from firewall forward) and just repainted both a few days ago. I'm waiting on a set of frame mounts (had to get new ones for the 400, as the Chevy 350 mounts obviously won't match up) from Ames. once I've got those on, I'll begin putting the front end back together. I have all new control arms, upper and lower, and new stock height coil springs, waiting to be installed. once the suspension has been rebuilt, I have a new 4 wheel disk break kit from Classic Performance Products, including master cylinder and booster. once all this has been installed and the front end is back together, the plan is to turn the car around in our little garage and begin on the rear of the car - new suspension, the new disk brakes, and beef up the rear end alittle with a posi differential and new ring gears.

I think that about sums it up... probably shouldn't have wrote that much... but I can't help it. Pontiacs "Build Excitement" in me!

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1675 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  11:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didn't write too much at all - we all love to hear about it. 72 was a real nice year for the A bodies. Mine is a 71, another nice year I might add. Actually they are all nice!

Good luck with it. Parts are quite easy to come by. There isn't a single metric bolt on the car. No electronic crap to drive you nuts. Just fun building. It keeps getting better too. There is something great about knowing that you know every nut and bolt on a car.

Have fun !
Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  01:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Pontiac addiction.
Go to Top of Page

HardLuck750
Tribal Scout

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2008 :  01:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess I am new here too, much like Matt I am younger than my car, I am 25 and my dad bought me my first car, long story about why, but I had a choice between a Plymouth Turbo Z, a Fox Body Stang, and a few others. I didn't really care for any of them much and told my dad I really really wanted something old, long story short I saw a 67 Tempest with a blown (in a bad way) 400 in it just a few miles from home. Dad told me no it was too much work and to just find something that ran. A day later he told me he found a car he liked for me and had bought it so I was stuck with it. We ended up at the pontiac and i limped it home, though it was blown it still ran, just had no compression on 2 cylinders... WE spent the next 4 months rebuilding the motor, a great learning experience, on the morning of my 16th birthday at 3am I drove a freshly rebuilt pontiac 400 stuffed in a 67 tempest through my home town without a hood. I drove it all through school and through a few transmissions. Put a lot of motor upgrades in it, and now it runs like crap, prolly just needs some good tuning. Unfortunately I cannot do anything with it currently because I am 2000 miles from it attending law school. When I eventually make it in the working world I intend to have the body fully restored and to do the enginework all on my own. I absolutely love pontiac motors and will argue endlessly with people that they are the best street motor ever made... Anyhow my setup is in another post titled 400 setup where I ask a few questions, please feel free to give it a look ask questions and give advice..
Thanx,
Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2008 :  3:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne, great story. Hey, when you become a big time lawyer don't forget your Pontiacs! Otherwise Bill Boyle will report you to the bar in the hopes of swaying you back.

And no, an anti-sway bar will not help in this case.

Sixt8bird, are those Iroc-Z wheels I see on the left Bird? Nice pic btw.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

55 chief
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  1:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get to be the new guy now. I have had my 1955 2door hardtop pontiac since i was 17 it was my first car and it gets worked on everytime I drive it now. It has a 389 in it from the first owner and everything else is stock to include the transmission. It needs alot of work and I hope that someone out there has some answers, any help would be great.

I had the transmission rebuild 3 years ago and have less than 500 miles on it, and the front band broke. I just wonder if anyone knows where I can get the parts for it that I need or a good idea where to start. It is a dual range hydramatic.

Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Repost this subject by self in new post it wills urely get answered if it does not get ansered here!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  06:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome 55 Chief. There are quite a few transmission guys that visit on this board and I'm sure they will get back with you about your question.

Please feel free to repost your transmission question and others that you may have in the Pontiac Performance /Restoration section or in our new Vintage section.

Bill Boyle
Webmaster

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Rich1970
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  9:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I,m not sure if this is the place for it but let me introduce myself. Obviously my name is Rich . I,m older then my car but we both seem to be in the same shape ( when pushed we both groan and leak all over) .
The story on how I came about my project is actually pretty cool. I,ve wanted a 1966 or 67 gto forever , and my 2 oldest kids kept telling about the cars there friends were selling hoping I would buy a hot rod they could use. One day my daughter says "dad I think I found your car", a friend knows someone at work that is selling a gto. I was excited would be an understatement and we took off for this friends house. When we got there my kids friend says someone I work with knows somebody that heard someone was selling a gto (my excitement DIED!) I was frustrated and gave this kid my phone number and left telling him if anyone actually talks with the owner have him call me. To my surprise I did get a call a week later and the owner explained he bought a house and needed money to fix it up so the car must go. I ask where it was and it turns out the car is 6 blocks from me in his moms garage. I met him there not knowing anymore then my daughter told me when the guy opens the garage. ITS A 1970 GTO ! I,ve never given that year a second look but I fell in love. The car was dusty from sitting but the guy explained he started it every other month .The car had a few minor dents but it was a complete numbers matching car with Pepper green paint and green interior . It had disk brakes in front and A/C with auto trans. We started the car and I had to have it. I,m sure I stuttered when I asked how much and the guy said "I have to get at least 2500.00". Thirty minutes later I,m putting in a new battery and me and my youngest son drove it home. There was dust and rubber flying all the way home! that was three years ago, we have stripped the car and just recently put the body back on the frame . This weekend we should be putting the engine and trans back in. I,m always looking for help and tips and it looks like I,m at the right place. I,ll start with how do I post pictures?
Go to Top of Page

tomcat24
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  11:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody...My name is Ron (the Tomcat thing is from my old F-14 days) Glad to be aboard! Okay here's my story; A couple of years ago when my son was approaching driving age I bought him a car for Christmas, I had regaled him with stories and a few lies about my first car, a '65 GTO with factory Tri-Power so, lo and behold he decide he wanted something along those lines (had to sell my '65 GTO after I enlisted). Well, needless to say '65 Goats are a little pricey these days, so I found a Firebird for him.This particular 'bird was a 1972 Esprit 350 2bbl auto that had a rebuilt motor, trans and rear-end (all stock), had been repainted (Earl Schieb?), a decent interior(sort of) and Goodrich TA's on Cragar S/S wheels. I hid it at his Grandmothers' house for a couple of weeks and then went over and got it about 2:00 AM Christmas morning. I parked in the side yard where he couldn't see it, and wrapped up the keys in a box placed under the Tree. It was pretty cool, and Ol' Dad felt great! So, anyway, over the years we have done a variety of things together to improve and more fully restore his car, H.E.I., improved engine cooling system, interior and so on. Now he has expressed a desire for Horsepower! So I have been trying to help him with identifying and locating the required parts (He buys, although I kick in when he doesn't expect it).So, we have obtained some '69 # 62 heads, '69 4bbl Ram Air III intake manifold, and a set of Ram Air III Exhaust manifolds, 2.5" outlet (R.A.R.E. with the Cer-Chrome coating).I have been trying to follow all the recommendations I have read about. Now I am lining up the "final" parts, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, Carb and fuel pump, etc. So, I will be asking questions regarding those items, that I'm sure have been asked and answered before...please bear with me! Thanks so much...

Edited by - tomcat24 on 16 Sep 2008 4:58:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  10:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Rich, Ron also Chris Williams (TAMAN). We're here to help and make your hobby experience more fun.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 16 Sep 2008 09:08:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  10:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome guys, and good stories. Keep em coming!

Go to Top of Page

sixt8bird
Chief Many Horses

USA
1114 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2008 :  12:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit sixt8bird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use the link I put up for pictures, its easy to use and these stories would be great with pictures!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

72blackbird
Two Feathers

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  10:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, everyone- I'm Geno, and I have a '72 Firebird. It used to be an Esprit with a 350-2V, but now it has a 406 w/ no.48 heads and all of the usual speed goodies. It's a Frankenchicken (Formula hood, T/A fenders, spoilers, posi disc brake rear, fat sway bars, etc.) but it's fast when it wants to run and I make no apologies to all of the collectors and stock purists who don't like hot rod Firebirds- these cars were made to be driven and go fast. But that doesn't mean I don't like a clean restoration or cherry survivor- those are sweet too.

I've owned my 'Bird since 1988 and recently got back into it after a five-year break- it's nice to see alot more Firebird fans out there. I'm really looking forward to making my car even faster and bench racing with everyone.

Cheers,
Geno
Go to Top of Page

GregMiller
Forum Sponsor

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  5:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like my kind of car!

Welcome.

Greg

"...if I change one more thing, I'm sure I can squeeze out another 5hp.."
Go to Top of Page

crazypj
Tribal Scout

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  12:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Just joined.
I have a 1976 Firebird Formula 400 which was an unfinished project (barely started actually)
Has a (rusted solid) 1967 small block 327 and 4 speed.
I'm pulling the Chevy motor and re-building a 389 out of a 65 Catalina (it was cheap and available and only 0.060" smaller bore than original 400)
I'm not from round these parts (British) and don't know much about large V-8 motors so I'll probably be asking some really simple dumb questions that everyone else knows answers to (like, are freeze plugs same diameter for early (2 plug) and late (3 plug) motors?
I work on motorcycles, mainly imports which are small high rpm engines(up to 16,500rpm, 175~210 bhp)
I have rebuilt a couple of four cyl car engines in the past but that was in Britain (and thousands on motorcycle engines, been working on bikes almost 40 yrs)
I have some idea's which will cross over to relatively low rpm car motor (airflow is airflow) but don't know if they have been
a/ tried before
b/ may weaken certain areas of block/head.
I'll start a thread on it when I get going.
PJ

I'm not a complete idiot, but, I'm working on it

Edited by - crazypj on 20 Jan 2009 12:32:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to have you aboard. We'll help as much as we can.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NewtoPoncho--welcome aboard Nick. How can we help?

Bill Boyle

----
Go to Top of Page

riptor
Two Feathers

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  6:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess this is the newbie page so here I am. Got my '78 black TA 31 years ago for my 18th bithday/graduation present. Thanks dad! Best thing anyone ever bought me. It's a TA 6.6 automatic. Wanted a 4-speed, but dad said he wanted me to live! Little did he know the automatic was just as fast. I was able to talk him into the best motor.
Within a year I had joined a CAMARO club (It became an F-body club after I joined) and beat all of them but the champ the first night we raced! That weekend I cut the back out of my scoop, installed a Mr. Gasket curve kit, and replaced my carb jets and metering rods with some from a junkyard 455 HO. I kept quiet for about 2 weeks (couldn't hide the scoop, though) until we raced again and my TA came out on top. Another TA joined that night, but he had the base 400 and didn't want any part of me after seeing that. Of course the war had only started and the champ bested me again soon after. Within 6 months I had blown my entire drivetrain warranty (headers, duals, B&M shift kit, 3.73 gears, NOS). And it was still '79! So my car has always been a hot rod and I like it that way.
By the late 80's it had gotten tired, and wife and kids seemed more deserving of the funds than the beloved money pit (I mean hot rod,) and I eventually took the tags off in '92 (fouling plugs again). I kept driving it around the block or so until '96 when the front transmission seal failed. Now that the kids are grown, I plan on driving it again real soon. What motivated me was, people were starting to come around wanting to buy it, and I actually thought it might happen. I realized I'd be kicking myself for this down the road, so I sprung into action and pulled the motor before anyone actually showed up with the money! Hey, its a matching numbers car, fully intact, never wrecked, one owner, and been under my carport the majority of its life. So there you have it.
- Robert
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  8:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Original owner here too, but mine's a year younger. Welcome to the site.

----
Go to Top of Page

riptor
Two Feathers

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  8:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, One of my work buddies has a nocturne blue 79 TA just like yours - only his is a 403. He had one just like it for 20 years before some woman rear-ended him and the insurance company totaled it. It became a parts car for the one he has now. His is bone stock, but I have to give him credit for keeping it on the road while mine sat under the carport for 13 years.
Go to Top of Page

welchcp
Sitting Bull

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  11:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Name is Chris im 30 year old Jarhead from Tx, stationed in NC. My dad had a Pontiac Firebird when he was younger and i always like the way it looked. Ive had other muscle cars in the past but being in the military i always ended up having to sell them for one reason or another. I told my wife i was going to buy a 68' or 69' Firebird and restore it. Six months later i found one, about 6 hours away i was off to pick it up. Since i have owned it its got two new fenders, a trunk replacement, a new radiator, and next week will finish my biggest project (changing it back to a manual transmission for the turbo350 it had in it. I have already learned a great deal from this site, am planning on attending Pontiacs in the park. The guys on here are so knowledgeable it has really helped me out a great dea.

Thanks for everything,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  07:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Chris to PSP, hope to see you at POIP in a few weeks!

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Cochise

Canada
458 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  08:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wanted to say thanks,to all.with all the good information i got from this site my t/a is back together and running real good

78T/A 4-SPEED Marty blue 400/milled 6x-4's/268H,comp roller tip rockers/ performer Q-jet/RA manifolds 2.25" exhaust with x-pipe/ mine since '99 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive
"sometimes I do what I want to do,rest of the time I do what I have to"
Go to Top of Page

waltj5799
Two Feathers

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  9:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all my name is Jon. I'm 20 years old from West Bend, WI. A couple of you have seen some posting that I've put up about my 88' Firebird. I've been getting a lot of grief about it because its the 3rd gen and only has a V6. The reason that I'm here and have this car might need to be explained.

Every car that I have owned since I was 15 I bought with the money in my wallet, all under $700. I had a 91 civic that I junked about a month ago cuz it was a real piece of work (its a honda, not worth work). So I needed a new car and came across this firebird for $1,200. I looked at it and said "Yes." Right there was when I knew that this was going to be the beginning of a lifelong obsession.

I know it isn't an amazing machine or what most people think a real pontiac is, but this is where I'm starting my journey. I want to do something to it not just drive it in its current condition. It is after a Pontiac and deserves more attention than lets say a Honda

[url=http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2757323&id=501360971][/url]

(I don't understand what I need to do to post this link to my facebook photos where I have pics of my car. So if it didn't work just cut and paste.)
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've had 12 new registrants in June. Welcome aboard to all. We look forward to your various questions, and comments. Enjoy the forum and the rest of the PSP site.

----
Go to Top of Page

67Bird_man
Tribal Scout

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  10:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello pontiac enthusiasts! My name is Graham and I am 39 years old. I have owned my 1967 Firebird since 2002. It has a 400 motor with an Edelbrock 750 carburator and performer intake. The motor has a rather lopy cam and a T10 transmission. My ignition system consists of a Mallory distributor. The previous owners have relocated the battery to the trunk and installed a fuel cell also. Up front, the inner fenders have been removed (previous owner(s),which I am going to put back on. I have done a few add ons myself such as headers, aluminum valve covers and traction bars. I purchased new emblems for the front fenders also. The wheels are the original Rally II's that have been redone. I drive this car during the warmer months of the year when the weather is nice. I also like going to local car shows. I wish that there was a drag strip near by, but unfortunately there isn't. I will try to get some pictures of my car as soon as I can.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  1:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Graham, where are you located?

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

67Bird_man
Tribal Scout

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  7:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich,
I am located in north central West Virginia, West Union to be exact.
Go to Top of Page

Beastdriver400
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2009 :  10:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to find this site. Got a 70 formula 400 and love it. In the process of bringing it back all the way. I'll need help with some details on this engine, esp. putting it back to stock. Looking forward to conversations.

beastdriver400
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2009 :  5:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello out there,
My name's Rob, some just call me "Bear".

Been working on a 69 GTO restoration "forever". It sat for a long time, but I got going on it again about a year ago. I've finally got it in primer and am in the process of blocking it now. Once that's done I plan to jump over and do "everything else" before paint and assembly.

I'm interested in finding out what others have done RE: roll bars. I'd like to be able to put one in that's both NHRA legal (otherwise, why do it?) and also removable. Has anyone else done this and if so, how?

I'm keeping a record of the project here:
http://www.garrettfamily.us/GTO

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2009 :  10:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats just awsome. I remebering doing my car wish i took that many pictures. Makes me want to go out find another one to fix up. Anyone have one laying around?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  07:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome Rob (BEAR).

----
Go to Top of Page

79GrandPrix
Two Feathers

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  3:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

My name is Anthony and I am from a small town called aiken, sc. It is the chevy capital of the world. I got into pontiacs when I was about 5 years old. My mom's first car was a 79 grand prix, hence my love for 79's. She only ever owned pontiac her whole life. My current project is a 461/th350 street combo that I have already received help on from this site. I hope that I can contribute as much information as I have already received just my reading and searching on this site.

Trying to convert the chevy world one race at a time.
Go to Top of Page

cutter2000
Tribal Scout

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2009 :  01:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. My name is Mike. I own a concrete cutter company, hence the user name. I have been a motorcycle guy most of my life and I have built and raced street bikes in the past. When I was in my teens in the 1970s I would occasionally see a carousel red 1969 GTO convertible around town (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). I loved the look of that car back then and a few years ago I stumbled upon a 68 that a guy had started a frame off restore on. He had the body blasted and when he got it back it was almost gone from rust. He ended up buying a completed car and sold the 68 to me. Two months later I found a stripped down 69 California body with almost no rust for $800.00. So I started the rebuild. Here is what I have done so far

Cleaned and painted the frame
Air ride E3 suspension
Strong arm upper and lower front control arms
Global West rear control arms
Richmond street 5 speed
lakewood bell-housing
Center force clutch

Most of my work has been in the engine up to now. I took it to the Dyno shop today but the headers where hitting the dyno cart so I had to bring them home and rework them tonight. Tomorow we will see what she will give me for power. Here is the combo.

1968 Firebird 400 engine
.030 overbore
stock crank at stock dimensions
Eagle forged h beam rods
KB 14 cc dish forged pistons
block is decked for pistons to be .005 down
KRE d port heads with SD Performance 290 cfm CnC porting and 65 cc chamber.
compression should be 10.4. Static compression cranks up to 170 pounds
port matched and air gapped Holley Street dominator intake
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb
comp XR288 roller cam
roller rockers
Go to Top of Page

BlueOvalBird
Two Feathers

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2009 :  5:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's up y'all. (That was just for stereotypical reasons). Guys, my names Philip and I'm from San Antonio, Tx. I own two Firebirds, a 1967 well-optioned 350 automatic and a 1968 OHC 6 with a 3-speed. The 68 has 400 and Muncie in it, now but don't worry the OHC is safe and warm. Nothing wild in the 400,just the good old Edelbrock pieces and a better valvetrain and exhaust. San Antonio's not exactly a hotbed of Pontiac purists but there is a devoted few that have the metal and some even have the chops to get the most out of 'em. I'm not bad at the basics but I'm not as knowledgable as the folks on this site. That's what brings me here. I'm looking for the folks with the answers and maybe just some good stories to boot. I'm going to be Pontiac 'til I die so, I hope to find some insight and I'm looking forward to learning more about the most innovating cars that ever graced a stoplight. I'll be passing on the Pontiac torch to my 8 year old son but he's currently wrapped up in El Caminos....I'll be asking my wife for a blood test.
Hope to get some pics on here soon and look forward to some good times.
e here

...Powered by Pontiac paid for by Ford
Go to Top of Page

Kiwi Mal
Crazy Horse

New Zealand
690 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  12:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site. Nice to see you have two nice Pontiacs. I have always liked the OHC 6. Its different and must have potential. Glad to see none are Ford powered. Whats with the user name

Go to Top of Page

BlueOvalBird
Two Feathers

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  04:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work for a local Ford dealership. "Powered by Pontiac paid for by Ford" was originally etched in my back windshield until it cracked beyond repair. I've been toyi g with the idea of reinstalling the OHC maybe with the Muncie ( not even sure that'll work). Any straight sixers out there want to chime in?

...Powered by Pontiac paid for by Ford
Go to Top of Page

67lemans
Tribal Scout

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, just joined today. Recently purchased 67 Lemans - restoring it and planning on keeping it a Lemans. Found a nice one with basically no rust and a nice interior for a good price. Just replaced the coils front and back, and put in a turbo 350 cause the ST 300 wasn't shifting well (I like the lower gear). Found some rally IIs on craigslist. I am wresting with some engine woes, about 4 stripped/broken header bolts, mashed motor mount, couple oil leaks, etc. and I'm not sure which way to go. It has a 350 in it that runs good but obviously isn't era correct. I have the original 326 block and heads, but not sure I want to go down in Cu.In. a 400 would be nice. Might just replace the 350 heads and drive it for a while. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you guys. Don
Go to Top of Page

PatrickJ
Two Feathers

36 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  12:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit PatrickJ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings. I found this site after a Yahoo search of "pontiac 400 engine rebuild"
My son who is 17 has his 72 Catalina which I saved for him since he was 7, and at present it is primed and ready for paint. He and my other son 18 along with me of course hand built a 25 x 32 pole barn on an acre we purchased for this reason. I have a 73 Catalina in the garage now, almost ready to prime, engine out as of last week for a rebuild.
Both cars have the 400, we hope to park them side by side on the blacktop of our car club cruise ins soon. Heck, such a lot to the whole story, but Father and Son stuff is great. So hello to all and so far I have enjoyed reading your great comments and hints.
This is my first complete rebuild and we are excited about doing it.
Today, 12-9-09 it was 82 degrees and the heads came off rather easy today. :-)
PatrickJ
our hobby site http://bodyshopclassics.com- fun site, not for profit etc. Just pictures of cars
Go to Top of Page

El Larry
Tribal Scout

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2010 :  12:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, my names Larry, 35, live in Fresno,Ca. I don't actually have a Pontiac vehicle......I do have a 1960 Guasti Flatbottom/V-drive with a 350 Pontiac engine. It did say above, the water is nice,LOL. I see alot of good engine info here, so thanx in advance!
Go to Top of Page

78Poncho
Tribal Scout

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  09:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hellow everyone i have been surfing through this site for a long time and its time to join. I have learned a great amount of info from you guys and it has directed me to make some very wise decisions.
I have a 78 TA that has been a joy to own. I have completly redone this car form suspesion to motor mods. I am currently building a 400 stroker (461) roller cam E-Heads.I have purchased most of the engine parts from SD Performance and i am really happy with Dave Bisshops advice.
I live in Ont Canada and am located halfway between Detroit Mich and Toronto.I attend many car shows in Ont but i also frequent michigan for some events.

AAK
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7228 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome 78Poncho! When you are ready, don't forget to post some pics. of our T/A.

Go to Top of Page

78Poncho
Tribal Scout

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2010 :  7:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will brush up on my computer skills and try to download some pics.Are there any tips on how to post pics.

AAK
Go to Top of Page

jrichardson
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  5:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my name is Jon and I am from Grand Rapids Minnesota. My dream was always to own a first gen Camaro until I found my first 69 Firebird laying in the weeds in a small town. After some negotiating with the owner I purchased it for $1000. It was a 350 two barrel car, floor gone, quarters gone, but still it was a 100 percent complete car. The project was on. I have never restored anything before but I started in on it. Two weeks later the same guy called me and said he found another 69. This one had a bench seat and column shift, but it was a way better car to start with. So out went the first Firebird and in came the second one. In a year and a halfs time I have replaced both full quarters, a new trunk floor, disc brake conversion, replaced every single bushing in the car and tons of other things. I have a 462 with 96 heads on the stand all ready to go in. I purchased the TA hood, rear spoiler and air extractors. I hope to have it primed by the 4th of July this year and finished so my oldest daughter can take it to her high school graduation next June. Two things I have learned through this process. 1. There is no limit to the money you can spend on a project like this and 2. beat your wife to the mail box and grab the credit card bill before she does.

1969 Firebird 462
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: