Elongation tool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

desbird
Sitting Bull

150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  1:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does any one have a push rod elongation tool by spotts he no longer makes them i would like to buy one rent one borror one what ever
chuck

pete w
Cochise

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  2:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used a round bastard file . i'd estmate it took about 10 minutes per hole.
Go to Top of Page

torqueymonster
Cochise

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  4:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rod Elongation tool? What happened to this being a family-friendly site? I get enough of those damn ads in my inbox!!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  5:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just use a pipe stretching tool, or buy longer pushrods.

And you'll have to forget the round bastard that Pete mentioned. Most people now just call them fat bastards. And look around, they're EVERYWHERE!

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself...

"Chevy": even the name sounds cheap.
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1242 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  1:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or buy scorpoin rockers and you wont need to elongate the holes

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  2:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
desbird,

Are we talking about the pushrod slots being elongated for higher lift or for 1.65 rockers? What casting are the heads? This all sounds a bit wierd.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

desbird
Sitting Bull

150 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  8:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mr p-body is right push rod slots for 1.65 rockers on 670 heads
chuck
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  3:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rad400

or buy scorpoin rockers and you wont need to elongate the holes

Could you elaborate?

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

desbird
Sitting Bull

150 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  5:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go to spotts web site it showns a picture it is used to elongat the holes in the head so you can use 1.65 rockers chuck
Go to Top of Page

DiamondJim
Cochise

328 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  8:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
desbird, Spotts no longer carries the guide/tool and doesn't plan on getting any more. Conrad, with 1.65 Scorpion rockers you will still have to oblong the holes near the top, down about 1/2" or the pushrods will scrape. -Jim
Go to Top of Page

pete w
Cochise

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2008 :  10:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with all the typing and checking the board I'D say you could have one head done with a hand file already.
Go to Top of Page

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  12:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did this last week, used a 1/4" carbide burr in my die grinder. No special tools needed. Took about 30 minutes to do both heads. These were 6X heads, Crane 1.65 rollers. hh
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hugh is correct. The "slotting" tool is commonly known in the Chevy "world" as the "Louis Tool", and is mainly for elongating the actual "guide slot" in heads not equipped with guideplates. The round holes in the 670s need to be "laid back" toward the stud, about 1/8" and about 1" down the holes.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1242 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  09:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian with Scorpion rockers you do not need to elongate the push rod hole like you do for other rocker arms. This came from Paul Spotts himself. If that is what desbird is referring to.

Jim T. that is what Paul told me, I could have misunderstood him.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.

Edited by - rad400 on 30 Jun 2008 09:56:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  1:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

You did misunderstand. The ONLY way a rocker can increase the ratio is to "move" the ball-socket closer to the stud, which is why the holes need to be enlarged. The distance between the stud and the valve tip remain constant. The Scorpion 1.5 ratio would need no changes, but are a bit taller when the poly-lock is installed, making "stock" covers not fit.

NOTE TO BILL: Next time you're near the Scorpion plant, stop in and ask them to use (or at least OFFER) a shorter poly-lock on the Pontiacs, so they WILL fit under stock covers.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4004 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  7:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim--I installed my stock chrome valve covers with the Scorpion 1.65 roller rockers in place and adjusted. The covers are sitting atop Fel-Pro gaskets. There appears to be adequate clearance with this set up--no interference.

Scorpion's are manufactured right here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Family owned and run plant--very nice.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Heddman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2008 :  11:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could there be a difference in the stud length? I use the ARP BB Chevy studs. They have a nice flat top allowing for a good positive locking surface for the locking nuts. My stock valve covers fit nicely.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  08:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I suppose it could be valve length and installed height. Theoretically, if everything is correct, they should all be the same. The engine I tried the stock covers on had a roller and a tad longer-than-stock pushrod (9.3"). But valve train geometry is right on the money. They are 6X heads, though.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4004 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim--these covers are on the 62 heads you bult up for me. Because of clearance concerns with the Scorpions, I purchased a set of Holley cast aluminum covers (black with fins, like the old MT covers) to install. I also purchased a pair of 3/8" aluminum spacers. I had several possible choices. But, once I began assembly on the block, I tested them all and went the stock route which allowed me to fit the dipstik case and dipstick in the stock location for that engine without any modifications. The Holley covers are new and I might sell them if anyone is interested. I have enough room with all these components to install a nifty stud girdle, if my little engine needed it. (overkill for lift of .518")

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Heddman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: